U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,515 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and was just offered a promotion in the COS/Denver area. I have never been to Colorado. I concerned about he extremely cold weather, at the same time looking forward to the cool summers. I am intrigued by the opportunity, however I want to ensure that I make the right decision on where to live. I need to select an area that have a diverse high school. I have a son who will be entering high school. I will be working on Schriever AFB and see myself being there for at least 4 years. I would like easy access to grocery store, etc. however do not want to live in an congested area. I currently commute 35-40 mins to work. The commute is mostly rural area, no traffic at all. I don't mind paying more for rent to acquire the more desirable area. I've noticed that the area seems a bit more expense than where I currently live. Rent here is about $1200.00 a month and that is a condo, gated community with access to coffee shops, A+ school zone, houses in the $400K+ range. I've not seen anything in that range so far that looks comparable to my current condo. I am currently doing research online however it is a bit challenging to do without actually having access to the area. I am planning a visit in March 2015. Can't wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:20 PM

235 posts, read 201,135 times
It's not impossible to find rents near your target in the Falcon area, and that would be a nice commute.

Diversity?

Some. But not inner city D.

It's a rural area, high plains, not really congested by Colorado standards, and has some awesome views of the mountains.

Rental Listings in Falcon Colorado Springs CO - All 18 Rentals - Zillow

Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 6,649 times
Yes I live in Falcon, and I agree 100% . I also lived in florida and.have been here 11 yrs. I will never miss the 9 months of excessive heat and humidity. People are.friendly too. Great move for our family.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM

305 posts, read 343,747 times
I HATED living in Falcon. We ended up building up in Northgate up by the Academy. You really need to look at the different areas in person and compare - and drive the commute and make sure it's something you want to do in the snow!

As for Schriever, it's "where the Air Force goes to be alone." It's waaaay out there (and new visitors frequently get lost the first time they try to find it).

Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 PM

409 posts, read 544,442 times
My husband works at Schriever, and we live in the NorthGate area (near MrsMac). His commute is about 40 minutes. The Powers corridor is stop and go with lights, he says the worst part is the south end of Powers. Depends how you define congested... For around here, it could be considered that. But he says that he very rarely has to wait for more than one cycle to get through a light.

He could go out through Falcon if he wanted, and stay on more back roads, but it's a little longer. If it snows, you're best off working from home, if you're approved. Schriever is pretty good about giving a 2 hour delay in the morning and early release. If it snows, the roads near base are awful, so it doesn't really matter if you live close or far.

I had no desire to live out in Falcon. You can certainly get more house for your money out there, but I'm not sure what the rental market is like. In Northgate, we're currently 10 minutes from grocery stores in two directions, but they're supposedly planning a Sprouts (kind of like a cheaper version of Whole Foods) practically in our backyard.

According to greatschools, Discovery Canyon Campus is 80% white, but I don't think you're going to get much more diverse than that in the more desirable school districts. Pine Creek, on the eastern edge of the Briargate area, is about the same. It is, however, a very military friendly area, and so kids should be used to other kids coming and going. We're at the elementary level (different school, will feed into DCC for middle and high), so I can't really speak to the experience directly, but at our elementary, I've noticed that the diversity is very well incorporated into the population (where we lived before in MD, we had a much higher black population, but for the most part the black kids were friends with the black kids, and the whites were friends with the whites).

You're going to love the weather. Even in the winter, while it gets bitterly cold at times, it's always broken up by 40 or 50 degree days, with plenty of sun so it feels even warmer. It's like you get enough winter to say you've had it, but not enough to feel miserable.

Good luck! Let us know if we can answer more questions.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 PM

20,019 posts, read 37,077,033 times
The OP needs to look in zips 80920 and 80908 and hone in on areas served by Pine Creek HS, one of the better schools, in an area with a lot of USAF personnel serving at the USAFA, Peterson and Schriever.

There are good areas closer as well, but I'm biased to 80920 or 80908.

Lots of great homes here for $400k and below.

Use ppar.com for both rentals and sales, the map based or zip based searches work well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,215,423 times
I couldn't live in Falcon because of the constant wind!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:28 PM

Apparently you don't live in Falcon, because if you did you'd know its not constantly windy. Its really nice out here, smaller town feel and beautiful homes with amazing sunrises / sunsets, and mountain views.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniemelaine7820 View Post
Apparently you don't live in Falcon, because if you did you'd know its not constantly windy. Its really nice out here, smaller town feel and beautiful homes with amazing sunrises / sunsets, and mountain views.
That's pretty much anywhere out east. For that matter, anything east of Powers might as well just be west Kansas.

I may be a tad biased, I refuse to live anywhere east of the interstate

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM

Yep...your right , your Ignorance is not a surprise to yr. Reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or