Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Having lived in Chicagoland until age 26, and Denver area for next 35 years, I agree with earlier comments re weather.

A few additional points:
Coloradoans do not know the words "slush" or "galoshes"
Most snowfall does not actually "melt", with icy water runoff. It evaporates. My first winters in CO were interesting to watch a pile of snow just shrink in size with no runoff.

However, that does depend on an area getting direct sun after the snow. Beware of any north-facing garages or entrances. BTDT If you don't clear the snow from any area that is in constant shade, it will hang around longer than the sunny areas.

Trust us, you will love it in CO from a winter weather standpoint.
For me: a house that faces north = deal breaker. I've long ago lost count of the number of times my across-the-street neighbors have had to shovel while my sidewalk and driveway snow all melted naturally during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 PM

67 posts, read 108,607 times
Having moved to Colorado from Duluth, Mn....I totally agree with everything said here about Colorado winters verses the Midwest. It is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more enjoyable here.

That being said.................someone please explain to me how the snow we DO get in CO seems to melt slower (yes slower) than it does in Minnesota. I swear that if Duluth got 2 inches of snow over night in May and it warmed to 40 degrees that the 2 inches would melt by sundown. Yet in CO, 2 inches of snow that falls overnight can last several days in direct sun with temps of 60*. This phenomena has been noticed by my Minnesota guests on three occasions. They were all puzzled how a small amount of snow stayed in my back yard all day when temps were upper 50's to mid 60's. It wasn't in the shade either. Am I crazy.....or is there something to this observation?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:16 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiosDuluth View Post
Having moved to Colorado from Duluth, Mn....I totally agree with everything said here about Colorado winters verses the Midwest. It is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more enjoyable here.

That being said.................someone please explain to me how the snow we DO get in CO seems to melt slower (yes slower) than it does in Minnesota. I swear that if Duluth got 2 inches of snow over night in May and it warmed to 40 degrees that the 2 inches would melt by sundown. Yet in CO, 2 inches of snow that falls overnight can last several days in direct sun with temps of 60*. This phenomena has been noticed by my Minnesota guests on three occasions. They were all puzzled how a small amount of snow stayed in my back yard all day when temps were upper 50's to mid 60's. It wasn't in the shade either. Am I crazy.....or is there something to this observation?
Not that I have seen. Although what you describe, I could see happening in an area that is shaded part of the day, by a moving shadow, such as from your house or a shed or whatever. My backyard is on the north side of my house. The snow takes FOREVER to melt back there even when it warms up a lot, because the shadow of the house keeps it mostly shaded.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I think our snow melts pretty fast - for the most part.

Altitude makes the air thinner which probably reduces its capacity to hold water, so perhaps that contributes to your anecdote Adios - although I have not done the math to any way defend such a theory as holding any water.

I do have problems with snow in a few areas taking a long time to melt - a north-facing area that is in partial shade, for example.

What is under the snow can also make a difference - different soils or surfaces absorb water differently and also reflect heat at significantly different rates.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM

67 posts, read 108,607 times
Here is another example- last March we were hiking around red rock recreation area. The soil there is pretty dark red. It was 60*. Near our car, we noted a small patch of snow that was sitting right on the dark ground, in the direct sun. When we got back to the car after an three hours, it hadn't melted any noticeable degree.

One possible contributor that may play a role in what is possibly my imagination on the whole subject.
Does the dry ground suck up any melted snow so fast that the remaining snow isn't sitting in a puddle of water and therefore more susceptible to melting?

In Minnesota, because the ground is typically saturated in the fall before it even freezes....melting snow puddles up and remaining snow soaks in standing water. There can even be a certain amount of "flow" even in a yard as low spots fill with water.

I don't know.....maybe there really isn't any difference, but it sure seems to me that it melts slower here at higher temps. Maybe there is some scientific reason like water boiling at lower temp at altitude? I may have to just accept that I'll never have the answer. Ha

Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Having lived in Chicagoland until age 26, and Denver area for next 35 years, I agree with earlier comments re weather.

A few additional points:
Coloradoans do not know the words "slush" or "galoshes"
Most snowfall does not actually "melt", with icy water runoff. It evaporates. My first winters in CO were interesting to watch a pile of snow just shrink in size with no runoff.

However, that does depend on an area getting direct sun after the snow. Beware of any north-facing garages or entrances. BTDT If you don't clear the snow from any area that is in constant shade, it will hang around longer than the sunny areas.

Trust us, you will love it in CO from a winter weather standpoint.

Most people here know we're called Coloradans....

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Quote:

No, you're not crazy, I've noticed that too. I think it's because the temps drop to below freezing again this time of year, almost as soon as the sun goes down.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,546,929 times
Quote:
I haven't noticed this, 2 inches of snow that is shaded can certainly last through several days of 50 to 60 degree temps but not snow that is exposed to direct sunlight. I'm not saying you're wrong but I personally have never noticed this.

As I mentioned I lived in Michigan as a child and I remember that in the winter months that even 2 to 4 inches of snow would stay at least 5 days without melting and would quickly turn to ice due to the high water content of Midwest snow and lack of sunshine. It only snowed in May once in the three years I lived there and it did melt the same day due to the temperature being in the 50s by the afternoon.

In Colorado on the other hand during the wintertime (Dec to March) traces of 2 to 4 inches of snow might stay a few days due to the 18 degree temps at night but even then the majority melts pretty fast during the day in the sunny and warm weather. Maybe 10 inches would take a few days but I've never seen 2 inches take more than a day if it is exposed to direct sunlight and above freezing temps. The low water content of Colorado snow also contributes to its fast melting properties.

In May I've never seen snow last more than a day in Denver or Colorado Springs, even if it snows 5 inches like in 2013 the snow will be all melted in less than 24 hours since it is usually 40 degrees most of the day and 60 degrees the next day. In this regard Colorado is comparable to the Midwest.

These are just my experiences of course.

Last edited by JMM64; 02-05-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 01:08 AM

409 posts, read 703,950 times
I was born in northern Illinois, and grew up in Wisconsin. The winters here are incredible. You get some snow and cold, just enough to enjoy so you don't miss it, like if you lived in Florida. But it alternates with nicer, warmer days. Best of both worlds. And as mentioned, if your driveway faces south, you won't need to shovel much.

And summer, no humidity, and no bugs.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 559red View Post
Hi all:

I'm looking to relocate from Chicago to an area with some mountains and milder winters. How does the winter weather compare between Colorado Springs and Chicago?
One thing to consider: Ice on flat ground can be an irritant. The same ice on a hill can be a real bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs