U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 27,961 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a move to Colorado Springs this April.
I am 25, she is 23 - no interest in children, college, military or the party life.
We work from home and enjoy the outdoors and much of what we have read has lead us to believe that Colorado Springs may work for us.

I am still a little curious on what areas of Colorado Springs we should look into moving to though.

For now, an apartment will do unless we can find an affordable house to rent in a quiet neighborhood.
Some of the apartment/condo homes in southeast Springs look awesome! But then I read that southeast dangerous and very crime-going?

We used to live in Myrtle Beach, SC where the population is naturally 27k but over 1 million throughout good weather seasons.

Reading online, Myrtle Beach - in comparison to it's natural population of 27k, is said be be nearly 100% unsafe and full of crime. There was once that my wife was walking alone to a local store and a car of two males did follow and try to speak with her but nothing happened. Otherwise, we are usually always side by side and Myrtle Beach came off as absolutely fine to live in.

I have also read that Fillmore st in Colorado Springs is dangerous??

It seems that Colorado Springs is a huge military town, but then again I am unsure if this is dominantly the south of Colorado Springs or all of it?? Also, are there military vehicles constantly on the roads. Are there planes constantly flying by? Is the Air Force nonstop conducting flights throughout the day?

In most areas that I have been to, I have had no problems with walking around the city at 2am and enjoying the quiet night. Is this okay in Colorado Springs? My wife, where we live now, will walk to the grocery store in the middle of the night when no one is out and it is nice.

I have read that no one can drive in Colorado Springs. Is this true?

Overall, what part of Colorado Springs should we look towards? Are there any recommended apartment complexes which offer at least 1000 square feet for around $900/month? That would be ideal for us.

Where we live, in central Virginia, I have heard many stories for years about local "gangs". That is just plain not true though... I can walk anywhere at anytime and be unapproached and see no violence. Most who believe there is gang activity here, they wake up, go to work, go home and watch TV.

I have read online that there are four or so gangs in Colorado Springs? and that southeast Colorado Springs, again, is dangerous. Yet I see many nice homes in the southeast. What is the deal with this?

We love yard sales and flea markets. How are the yard sales and flea markets from Colorado Springs through Denver and into Boulder? Maybe even Pueblo?

Any other information that we should know of would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,387,023 times
All of those comments you're asking about are relative - honestly people drive badly all over the country, colorado springs imho is not better or worse than some other place. Crime isn't a big problem here but there are areas of town that have more incidents than others. you should be able to be out at night without much concern, weather permitting. There is a weekend flea market just off of Platte east of Academy - it is fun to go to once in awhile.

I would advise you just to find a decent apartment close to amenities and learn the city for yourself and form your own opinions about where you would like to settle longer term. Since you claim to be interested in outdoor recreation you might like to be over near Bear Creek Park, for example, or maybe near Garden of the Gods. I would wait on getting something near Memorial Park until you come here and decide what you think about the neighborhood. Same for southeast - I think you will find it is fine, based on what you wrote, but since people have different views, I'd hold off on living there until you come here and see what it is like with your own two eyes.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 AM

162 posts, read 475,545 times
Colorado Springs is unique in that it sits in somewhat of a valley between the Rocky Mountains and prairie land. If you live out east, it's windy and further away from most outdoorsy type stuff. Living closer to the mountains affords easier access to rafting, skiing, hiking, etc. Old Colorado City is a neat little area and it's closer to the mountains.

As for the military bases, there is the Air Force Academy where the only impact you'll see is the occasional cessna style plane flying overhead if you live on the north side. During football seasons, there may be some localized traffic issues during a game. Schriever Air Force Base is way out east on the plains and all they do there is space operations (no flight line). Cheyenne Mountain you wouldn't even know it's there if it weren't for the big antennas on top of the mountain. Peterson Air Force Base shares the runway with the Colorado Springs airport. There is usually more civilian traffic than military. But sometimes the ANG flies their C-130s around. That and the occasional jet stopping in doesn't really impact anything. Fort Carson on the south side has a very large firing range that we can hear sometimes from 30 miles away. Most times (98%), there is nothing going on at the range. They usually announce their exercises with the local news.

Crime is a problem but only in certain areas. I have two friends on the force and they both agree that the area between Powers Blvd and Academy Blvd from Fountain in the south to Constitution to the north is the worst section in town. There are others as well but when you watch the news and they mention a shooting, it's usually in this area.

Traffic is usually not an issue. Every place has their backups and it's usually because of some idiot getting into an accident. The predominant issue here with bad drivers is red light running. I would estimate 75% of traffic signal rotations have at least one person that runs the light even though they could have stopped.

The biggest thing I'd say about Colorado Springs is that it's the epitome of urban sprawl. The downtown area is fairly small considering the population of the city. Colorado Springs is around 400,000 officially. But El paso county itself is pushing 800,000. So the "city" is spread out.

We feel perfectly safe anywhere in Colorado Springs except the aforementioned area. But my wife and I also conceal carry.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 27,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
I have two friends on the force and they both agree that the area between Powers Blvd and Academy Blvd from Fountain in the south to Constitution to the north is the worst section in town. There are others as well but when you watch the news and they mention a shooting, it's usually in this area.
Unless I am mistaken, the area you mention seems rather large compared to the overall Colorado Springs.
Do only a few blocks separate the real crime from the safe?

Also, what are the chances of walking through these areas and being robbed?
Are there a bunch of hooligan kids running around or homeless adults or just trouble makers in general?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,387,023 times
The chances of running into crime just out walking around is extremely small.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM

482 posts, read 885,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkampff View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the area you mention seems rather large compared to the overall Colorado Springs.
Do only a few blocks separate the real crime from the safe?

Also, what are the chances of walking through these areas and being robbed?
Are there a bunch of hooligan kids running around or homeless adults or just trouble makers in general?
The area Moman1 outlined is the southeast quadrant of the city. It is the part of town that has the highest concentration of cheap apartments and mobile home parks, thus is poorer and has higher crime. It's really not a terribly unsafe area, per se, it's just where most of the city's crime occurs.

I've lived in the worst parts of Colorado Springs and have never had any problems. No break-ins, no muggings or robberies, nothing. If you mind your own business and don't go looking for trouble, it's unlikely you'll have any issues.

Fillmore St. is not dangerous, just a little run down. It's a busy street that hosts a bunch of gas stations, pawn shops, liquor stores and fast food restaurants. I travel that way to work on my bicycle and the most dangerous aspect is the heavy traffic.

My primary mode of transportation is my own two feet, either one in front of the other or pedalling a bicycle. I also work some weird hours that get me up really early and often keep me out pretty late. In all my years as a pedestrian in Colorado Springs I have never felt unsafe or threatened in any part of town.

Colorado Springs is very military oriented but since I'm not affiliated with the military in any way it doesn't affect me. It's an economic powerhouse in this region and I'm fine with that, I just don't associate with it directly. If you don't want to, you don't have to. It's not an overbearing presence in town.

With your rental budget you will have no problem finding a decent apartment. I suggest looking into the west side of town, basically west of I-25, while avoiding the area around S. Nevada, I-25 and Southgate Rd. That area is one of the less desirable in town, particularly east of Nevada Ave. The neighborhoods immediately north and east of downtown are also nice as is the far northern side of the city.

Yard sales abound here. I'm a yard sale and estate sale junkie and love that they go year-round in this area. Even on a good-weather weekend in winter I see them all over town. Pueblo has some good ones, too.

Good luck in your search. Colorado Springs is a great city, I absolutely enjoy living here.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 AM

8,560 posts, read 5,731,202 times
Others have touched on this...we don't really have a "ghetto" here in this city. Not like big cities on the coasts, or in the rust belt. Not like Richmond, VA. Actually to put it in perspective since I grew up in northern VA and you're coming from central VA...

If you've ever driven up through Woodbridge along Route 1, you know how parts of Woodbridge are pretty run down these days, and even though just off the highway there are plenty of neighborhoods with single family homes, it's still not the best area?

Yet while there might be random sporadic crime, you could probably walk down the street, it's not a war zone or anything.

The very worst parts of Colorado Springs are kind of like that. So while we're gonna cringe a little and say "Ehh...you might not want to live there" about that zone in the Southeast, and bits of Nevada and the south bit of B street by Fort Carson...the fact is you could probably do it, and you probably would not die. But honestly with your rent budget you could probably do better.

When I think of "nice, walkable, young couple, not far from amenities" I think of Old Colorado City though Manitou (though finding apartments in Manitou is very hit or miss--it's a desirable area because it's artsy and neat and wedged into the mountains like.)

As for drivers... I've lived in VA, OH, IA, WA, and now CO. Every single place, people say "Oh, the people here don't know how to drive!" I don't think the drivers here are worse than ones elsewhere, but the red light running is our predominant problem. Coming from Virginia, you will love being away from I-95 and the traffic of that region.

Yes, it's a military town. Once in a while I notice military planes or copters overhead, but the base shares an airfield with the actual Colorado Springs Airport...I live just barely south of it...and just as often it's normal commercial airline jets taking off and landing. Surprisingly the noise is not a bother. Sometimes you do hear some loud BOOM sounds (distant, but sort of vibrating) and for a moment you're like "What..." until you realize it's the guys on post doing some kind of artillery range exercise thing. No worries.

One cultural thing to get used to in Colorado Springs as opposed to urban and suburban VA is that here, the good guys have guns. Having grown up in northern VA, I was not really comfortable around firearms. It took me a while to get that way when my husband wanted to own some. Here there is a fairly strong gun culture where normal people carry them legally, and have the known right to defend their homes and persons with them. I laugh about the Springs being very "guns and dogs and get off my lawn!" but generally people are friendly...live and let live as long as you don't bother anybody else.

I would not worry about gangs.

Oh, and yes, nice houses/neighborhoods and not-so-nice ones do exist right up against each other here. There are pockets of nice in "bad" areas and pockets of bad in "nice" areas. Here's an example for you. Go to Google maps. Do a street view of the intersection of Loomis Ave and Cranbrook Cir. Looks nice, right? I drove down to the end of Loomis Ave south of that elementary school right there not long ago. Trust me when I say it's a lot rougher than it looks on Google. The street was so choked with glass and boards and trash and junk I was afraid I was going to puncture a tire. A person could not pay me to live there. That few blocks is the closest to a ghetto I've seen here in terms of the run down state of the housing...yet it's still nicer than the "dangerous neighborhoods" in almost any city.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM

876 posts, read 981,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkampff View Post
My wife and I are planning a move to Colorado Springs this April.
I am 25, she is 23 - no interest in children, college, military or the party life.
We work from home and enjoy the outdoors and much of what we have read has lead us to believe that Colorado Springs may work for us.

I am still a little curious on what areas of Colorado Springs we should look into moving to though.

For now, an apartment will do unless we can find an affordable house to rent in a quiet neighborhood.
Some of the apartment/condo homes in southeast Springs look awesome! But then I read that southeast dangerous and very crime-going?

We used to live in Myrtle Beach, SC where the population is naturally 27k but over 1 million throughout good weather seasons.

Reading online, Myrtle Beach - in comparison to it's natural population of 27k, is said be be nearly 100% unsafe and full of crime. There was once that my wife was walking alone to a local store and a car of two males did follow and try to speak with her but nothing happened. Otherwise, we are usually always side by side and Myrtle Beach came off as absolutely fine to live in.

I have also read that Fillmore st in Colorado Springs is dangerous??

It seems that Colorado Springs is a huge military town, but then again I am unsure if this is dominantly the south of Colorado Springs or all of it?? Also, are there military vehicles constantly on the roads. Are there planes constantly flying by? Is the Air Force nonstop conducting flights throughout the day?

In most areas that I have been to, I have had no problems with walking around the city at 2am and enjoying the quiet night. Is this okay in Colorado Springs? My wife, where we live now, will walk to the grocery store in the middle of the night when no one is out and it is nice.

I have read that no one can drive in Colorado Springs. Is this true?

Overall, what part of Colorado Springs should we look towards? Are there any recommended apartment complexes which offer at least 1000 square feet for around $900/month? That would be ideal for us.

Where we live, in central Virginia, I have heard many stories for years about local "gangs". That is just plain not true though... I can walk anywhere at anytime and be unapproached and see no violence. Most who believe there is gang activity here, they wake up, go to work, go home and watch TV.

I have read online that there are four or so gangs in Colorado Springs? and that southeast Colorado Springs, again, is dangerous. Yet I see many nice homes in the southeast. What is the deal with this?

We love yard sales and flea markets. How are the yard sales and flea markets from Colorado Springs through Denver and into Boulder? Maybe even Pueblo?

Any other information that we should know of would be greatly appreciated!
You've asked and answered a lot of your own questions. Reading stuff online, hearing "many stories" that turn out to be exaggerations - online information is usually biased by the people writing it and their experiences. As others have pointed out - bad drivers are everywhere, crime is everywhere, etc. etc.

This is a great place to live, especially if you love outdoor activities. The farther west you live, the closer you'll be to the foothills and mountains and numerous trailheads (though there are other parks and open space areas all over town). You might love Old Colorado City neighborhoods, if you like an older house vibe, or Manitou Springs for a quirky, artsy little town; affordable rents can be found, if you're lucky and persistent.

And yes, we have lots of yard sales and estate sales ... year-round.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM

482 posts, read 885,521 times
Touching on the subject of bad drivers in Colorado Springs:

They're not bad here. They're no worse than any where else. What you have to realize and accept in Colorado Springs is that the vast majority of people that live here are from somewhere else. They're used to what driving conditions are like where they come from and it gets a little weird with the hodge-podge driving in Colorado Springs. Just be on the offence and be alert and aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Just don't pull the "gaper" stare at the mountains while you're driving. Enjoy that view as a pedestrian or bicyclist and all will be well.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 AM

74 posts, read 68,630 times
I also came to Colorado Springs from Northern VA. At first, it was a bit of a cultural shock as far as people go but now, I don't even notice it. When you have been to SE DC, nothing here compares to that when it comes to scary neighborhoods. To start out, look in the North or Westside. Once you get used to the area, you can make a decision about where you want to live. Some nice apartments: CamelBack Pointe or Oasis. You can't go wrong with these apartments and I believe they are in your price range. Just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or