U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Colorado Springs or Aurora next year. I'd like to know about getting hired in Higher Education industry at my age 53. I have a BA in communications and MS in Student Personnel Administration. I currently teach fitness yoga, pilates & stretching classes for a living. I've visited Colorado Springs last year and absolutely loved it. Any advice on establishing residency and getting hired before I move there is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM

482 posts, read 927,627 times
I don't know a lot about getting hired in higher education in either place but I come from a family of teachers in Colorado. My mother has never had an issue getting a job in Colorado, regardless of her age. Into her early 70's she was able to find employment in elementary school education (even as a kindergarten teacher). She didn't advertise her age in applying and came across as much younger than her age in interviewing.

Aurora is basically an extension/suburb of Denver and jobs will be much more plentiful there. It's a metro region of over 3 million people and as such has many more job opportunities.

Colorado Springs is a metro area of about 650,000 so jobs are less abundant but still exist. Colorado Springs is also much cheaper to live in than the Denver area but jobs tend to pay less. It's a give-and-take situation as both cities are nice but are very different from each other. It really depends on what you're looking for.

To establish residency you have to be a resident, obviously. For things like vehicle registration and drivers license you have 90 days. For in-state tuition you have to live here for 12 months.

For getting hired, start applying when you're about ready to move. With your educational background I'm guessing you want to work in administration in a college. I'm most familiar with Colorado Springs so I suggest looking into UCCS, Colorado College and PPCC for employment. Check out their websites, they all have employment links with current job openings:

https://employment.ppcc.edu/index.cfm
Employment Services - Human Resources | University of Colorado Colorado Springs
https://www.coloradocollege.edu/offi...opportunities/

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
I'm not sure how many Higher Ed jobs we have in Colorado Springs, period. In comparison to Denver, there are significantly fewer institutions and thus positions here. If I were you I'd check the job postings this hiring season to inform your decision.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,130,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahmccoy View Post
I'm considering moving to Colorado Springs or Aurora next year. I'd like to know about getting hired in Higher Education industry at my age 53. I have a BA in communications and MS in Student Personnel Administration. I currently teach fitness yoga, pilates & stretching classes for a living. I've visited Colorado Springs last year and absolutely loved it. Any advice on establishing residency and getting hired before I move there is much appreciated.
Southern Aurora, nice...........lived in Northern Aurora many years. The best thing about Aurora? Right next door to Denver!!! (IMO)

Colorado Springs......Aurora? Colorado Springs, if only CS were closer to Denver would be so perfect!!!

CS is a great outdoorsy place. Bike riders, joggers, runners....love the whole concept. Friendly people, doggie lovers.....seems like trendier shops have moved in; Trader Joes just opened.......CS is about 60 miles from Denver. The drive can be tricky, Monument Hill gets foggy and roads are icy & scary sometimes. There are ways around that route..................happy hunting!!!

CDOT is starting a route between FT Collins and Denver and Colorado Springs, also Denver to Glenwood Springs. Hoping, Denver to Pueblo, too....not sure. (high end bus with wifi and everything!!!) Supposed to start in April, this year.

Last edited by mollygee; 03-19-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM

19,625 posts, read 13,272,992 times
Good luck with your move, I would love to move back to Colorado Springs, love the city, but even more so, I love the state of Colorado, best state in the nation!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,976,827 times
I don't know about that much about educator employment opportunities here, although my daughter taught in D12 for years. She's now a successful realtor (my money well spent on an M.A.T. in Elementary Education from CC!). I digress. There are many "virtual" universities based here if that is a consideration.

Anyway, I've lived in both cities also. Aurora for 11 years and going on 17 years in the Springs. In Aurora, you would seemingly have access to a much larger employer base from which to choose. Regarding quality of life however, I would select the Springs in a heartbeat. There may also be opportunities in Douglas County (Castle Rock) that would put you midway between both areas.

Good luck and best wishes. Hope everything works out for you!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:17 PM

73 posts, read 161,050 times
I do appreciate some aspects of the Springs. However, If I did it over, I would move closer to a more vibrant area unlike the Springs. VERY little to do here with kids.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:48 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2go View Post
I do appreciate some aspects of the Springs. However, If I did it over, I would move closer to a more vibrant area unlike the Springs. VERY little to do here with kids.
Interesting perspective. I was raised by a single parent in a wealthy suberb of Los Angeles - Santa Monica - which is almost the dictionary definition of "vibrant" but I was never once taken to the symphony, never once taken to a play, taken to a museum once, maybe twice, went to a handful of restaurants (mostly inside bowling alleys). Part (though not all) of the reason these things were so rarely experienced in the "vibrant" city is that it took 45 minutes minimum to get to any of them, often more like an hour fifteen minutes. "Vibrant" and "traffic congestion" often go together. I did get to the beach, on my own or with friends, quite a bit.

Fast forward 30 years and my Colorado-native spouse and I live in Colorado Springs, in part becaue it's not Denver. Right here in the Springs, we routinely take our two kids to the symphony (12 minute drive), the Fine Art Center (12-15 minutes), one of the coolest zoos in the Western US (5-6 minute drive). They'll probably be in the youth symphony next year (short drive), swim team (3 minute drive), and we'll take dozens of awesome hikes (2 block walk to multiple trailheads). The school district here (D12) is better (by far) here than the one I grew up with in Santa Monica. We ski 10-12 times a season and hike to high alpine lakes in summer.

Any place lives up or lives down to what one chooses to make of it. I'm feeling like raising my kids in CO Springs is vastly VASTLY more vibrant, cultured, and diverse an experience than I recall in traffic-congested LA. Doing all the things in Denver, living in that city, that we do here would likely add many dozens of hours fighting Denver traffic and searching for the elusive parking spaces.

I'm not disagreeing that more "vibrant" cities exist, only that there's "very little to do here with kids." There's TONS of stuff to do here with kids.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:04 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to smdensbcs again.

Great post. I find the same thing. When I lived in Portland, Oregon, there were tons of "things to do", but it was not practical to actually do them because getting to them took too long.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
I have to wonder what people want to do with kids that they can't do here and they could do in other places. I know that our schedule is already way too full, and I'm one who tried to keep it fairly open so that they can just simply play with their friends (the neighborhood is crawling with kids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or