Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 25,253 times

Advertisements

Hello all, just registered but a long time lurker, awesome forum. My wife and I are in our mid 20's, currently live in NoVa(seems like a lot people in NoVa interested in CS), and are looking to relocate after I separate from the military this time next year. I'm originally from Arkansas and used to the slow life, so after spending only 5 months in NoVa I'm ready to be as far away from civilization as possible, but still close enough to earn a living. CS seems to be the best fit.

We'd like to purchase a home in an area like Woodland Park, but first need to make sure work is stable so we'll be looking to rent an apartment. Can anyone recommend an area that is reasonably priced yet safe? Of course we'd like to save as much as possible, but won't live in a bad area just to save money. That's really all we care about, don't need good schools, or close to entertainment ..nothing fancy, just a decent place to come home to for a year or so.

Also, I work in the IT field, have 5 years of experience, and a clearance. The IT job market looks extremely stable according to the job boards, and with military posts around it gives me a chance to use my clearance. Is the market there as good as the job boards make it out to be or am I missing something? Anyone here in the IT field and have some connections?(hey, doesn't hurt to network right? )

That's really the only questions I have for now. Many of the previous posts answered a lot that I had. Any info at all is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
You could try finding an apartment (or house) to rent in Woodland Park, to see if that's where you'd like to end up. WP really doesn't have any "bad" areas. You might find you'd rather not live "up the pass", depending on where you find work. The commute can be a challenge sometimes (lots of posts about that).

In the Springs itself, a lot of folks will tell you to steer clear of the southeast part of the city/Southgate area, though I believe that area is in a state of flux for the better. Those of us who live on the westside and closer to the mountains will tout it as the best part of the region to live in, though rents can be steep.

From what I hear, Security and Fountain offer reasonably priced housing.

Do a more thorough search here and you'll find many threads that address the question of best places to rent and live.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
The IT market is still slowly recovering from the recession. Denver has more opportunities overall however your security clearance will be a huge plus in the Colorado Springs market.

Woodland Park is a nice quiet area. As Mtngigi stated the commute might get old, especially if you end up working on the eastern or the north edge of town which is where a lot of the security clearance IT jobs are. If you are looking for some land and elbow room also check out the Black Forest area and Falcon.

As far as where to rent, I would just avoid the southeast area if possible. There are some good pockets but there tends to be higher crime overall in that part of city. Now Ivywild, which is just west of Southgate has some lower rent prices, it's kind of a transitional, eclectic, older area. Again has some spots that are a little rough but it has been "regentrifying". Only other spot I would caution you on are a lot of the apartment complexes around Academy Blvd and Austin Bluffs, Academy and Half Turn Circle, Academy and Carefree area. Those have been getting a little rough.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:15 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Obviously if you look at a map, you're going to think "Security-Widefield and Fountain are good but the Southeast is bad, that makes NO SENSE!" LOL and it doesn't...except that Security-Widefield and Fountain are actually on the other side of the bad stuff, further out and cut off from a lot of potential through traffic from the worse spots by the way the communities are set up, I think. For instance I think that if you were to examine Academy Blvd, you have some rougher stuff just north of us, upwards from Academy and Hancock for insance, BUT because Security doesn't just sprawl directly off the road, we have an exit you have to get off of, and then a wee hop through some horse farms and stuff, so we don't get the rougher clientele wandering down into our territory so very much. People in the greater Springs area do tend to stick to their own side of town, and often have limited knowledge of other sides of town.

For a couple, if you think you might have a child sometime, if you can find one of the little ranchers down in Security for cheap to rent, it might not be a bad place to start. The great thing about renting at first is you can work out whether you like where you're at and move if you don't, once a lease is up. Security and Fountain are by and large blue collar, cheaper, but safe. I live there in one of the newer areas, quite happily. If you have a kid, the schools are pretty good. Lots of military in the area.

EDIT: I keep mentioning the "if you have a kid" thing--I know you don't now, but I only say it because you're the right age for it to become a possibility.

I chime in not only because it's where I live and what I know, but also because we are really, REALLY close to Schriever and Peterson bases and Fort Carson, so you'd be convenient to a few of the bigger locations where your clearance might serve you well. And a short commute is a blessing, man...especially (I imagine) after living in NoVA.

I can't speak to apartments though. It's something I never even shopped for, so others can advise you there. I think there are probably better apartments in other parts of the city than there are in Security and Fountain areas.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
There is a fairly sizable apartment complex under construction in Woodland Park at this time. The commute to any of the bases from Woodland Park would be difficult - of course there are people who do, so what do I know?

Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
A friend of mine works at one of the technology buildings between Colo Springs and Monument. He told me that his office building, which was once full of technology companies is now half empty, and that a similar nearby office building once full of technology company offices is also half empty. I can't speak to that directly, so take that as second hand info.

I'm not sure that the commute between Woodland Park and Colo Springs is wise to contemplate. There is one route and one route only, it's quite a long drive, and in inclement weather could be very problematic.

BTW, from NOVA here, as well.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Sonic nailed this on areas.

Being in woodland park could create some difficulties with driving the pass in the winter if you are working at a job on one of the bases, where your clearance would be a huge plus.

If I had to spend time in NOVA, I think I'd want out of civilization also, but you might find that security/widefield has the right small town feel with all of the features you would desire and easy access to employment.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Really appreciate all of the info posted. I'm still stuck on Woodland Park or an area similar. I expected the commute to be rough during harsh show and the mudslides I read about, but y'all made me question it a bit, sounds a little more lengthy than I hoped for. I'll have a vehicle capable enough to make the drive, but that won't be very useful if the road is closed.

Would really like to hear from anyone that makes this commute. I've only read one post on here from someone that lived in WP an said the commute wasn't bad at all, but believe that was from years ago.

Security-Widefield area looks nice and affordable, though I don't think it's for us. All of the homes I see look to be in neighborhoods / subdivisions, and honestly we'd rather just move back to Arkansas where homes are even cheaper if we wanted to stick with subdivision living. CS is appealing to us because of the ability to live up in the mountains in the middle of no where, yet be 20-30 miles from a city with plenty of job opportunities. Thanks again for all of the help!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Well, another thing you might consider is finding an affordable place to start, a rental, and once you're here, do some scouting up into the hills to find your REAL dream residence. Fact is, everyone recommends that you rent for about a year at first anyways, and it's a great idea. It gives you a chance to see from a "boots on the ground" perspective, what various drives are like, what roads get closed and how often, and what options you truly have that suit your desires.

Not to mention getting settled with work so you know very well what your commute will ACTUALLY be.

Honestly my ideal in my mind when I arrived here, was something like the environs I had in WA. Tucked into a forest, trees cutting me off a bit from nearby neighbors, so I felt like I had a bit of seclusion even if I was in a neighborhood...I didn't want to be surrounded by visible houses like one is in most subdivisions. Well, after being here a year, I changed my mind about that. You can sure find a house in the woods...but the woods are disturbingly flammable. I am happy where I'm at, for now. When I move one day, years from now, it will probably be back to my childhood home state of VA!

At any rate, best of luck to you! Wherever you land, you will find the people here far friendlier and more down to earth that where you're leaving. This place has great people, truly.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM

So we're starting to plan a 4 day trip to CS to see how we like the area, but it can't be any sooner than April. Easter weekend is looking like the most doable dates, is this a decent month to travel throughout the area in a FWD rental car? Don't care to be stuck in a hotel the entire time due to snow, but I also want to come during a month where the temperature/weather can vary(probably not fair to visit Colorado in mid July and base year 'round expectations off of that). Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs