Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM

117 posts, read 620,994 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any luck gardening there in COS? Vegetables, wildflowers, anything?

I have pounds and pounds of vegetable and wildflower seeds, and wondering if I should save them for our future COS home or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
Gardening in Colorado can be both rewarding and heartbreaking.
I developed a system over the course of the many years that I lived there.
I grew vegies in pots; this way I could start early but put them in the garage if the May weather turned for the worse, and put them in the garage again in the fall if there was a September snow.
You really have to begin early because the growing season can be short.
I always had success with lettuce, arugula, that sort of thing. Herbs as well.
Spring snowstorms can tear up your trees or maybe just crush your daffodils.
And if those July or August hailstorms come through, your entire garden could get shredded into pesto!
OTOH
There were mild falls where I was still picking tomatoes in October.
It is certainly worth a try. Bring your seeds.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM

117 posts, read 620,994 times
Thank you Cil!

Maybe I can turn my California poppy seeds in to Colorado poppy seeds.

We have an orchard now where we live (about 40 trees), and seems the best survivors through some of our crazy desert weather, are the apple, apricot and pear trees. Even when we had some snow in Spring, they pulled out of it and bared some fruit.

Sure wish I could bring some trees, but will definitely bring all my planter pots. Thank you again for the tips!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
I am glad to hear that you will give it a try. Bring those poppy seeds!
While gardening and farming frustrating there, the rewards are great.
You may already have heard about Colorado's famous peaches grown on the Western Slope. I have never tasted a better peach, even after trying fruit from Georgia.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 PM

648 posts, read 2,931,591 times
well, this year I planted carrots, tomatoes, pumpkins, bell peppers and strawberries. All of them did well. However, I wasn't as deligent as I should have been. I let the tomatoes get out of control and they ended up blocking the sun to the other veggies. My in-laws planted apple trees last year and got a few apples this year. I think they will be more succesful next year. I guess in Colorado if you are going to grow fruit trees, then you have to have 2 w/ in a certain distance of each other. I don't know why, but you do. Hope that helps. bashep

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,750 times
Hi everyone,
These are some great tips. I live in Sunny St Pete right but am moving to Colorado Springs next month (yes, winter time). Here we have to garden in sand which really means the soil has to be completely amended with organic matter and water retention crystals. I am really sort of enthused about a colder climate and no fleas nor mosquitoes. I am remembering my mother's peonies, roses and pansies, carnations, and Sweet William. Then too, lilacs, marigolds and ageratium. She used to make crab apple jelly in Virginia. does anyone know what Zone Colorado Springs is in? Also, my new house has a smallish yard and I want to plant the very best fruit trees. suggestions?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
Apple and peach trees do very well in Colorado.
I'm going to plant a Fruit Cocktail Tree (the stone fruit one).
You can do one with just apples also. That way you have many fruits with just the one!
Good Luck!!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,095,658 times
my experience: tomatoes, zuchinni, lettuce, green peppers, pumpkins, spices, green onions, cucumbers, spaghetti squash

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM

16 posts, read 48,901 times
Does anyone have a green house to stretch the growing season. If so any advice?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM

224 posts, read 729,559 times
I like to visit this site for Rocky Mountain gardening. Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum - GardenWeb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs