U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 PM

275 posts, read 217,098 times

Advertisements

I know this is a stupid question to ask, but I've been a homebody for a long time (and hence never used sunscreen), something I suspect will change dramatically once I arrive in the Springs and get my dog.

Since it'll be summertime when I arrive, I wonder what brands the natives generally prefer? I've been turned off by all the alarming content regarding many brands of sunscreens being toxic and cancer-inducing, plus I have an allergy to certain types of fragrances, so that limits my options somewhat. I also don't want to use them extensively because I'm never out in the sun as nearly as I should be, so I want to give me body a chance to produce Vitamin D by soaking in the sun, which I assume would be hindered if I use too much sunscreen.

Thanks for any advice on good sunscreen brands to try and how often to use it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,236,070 times
Generally I don't like any of them. But spray on is the best of the worst. Don't really care about the brand - cheapest and SPF 30 is what I go for. Someday I hope to see a sunscreen pill.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Generally I don't like any of them. But spray on is the best of the worst. Don't really care about the brand - cheapest and SPF 30 is what I go for. Someday I hope to see a sunscreen pill.
Heh, honestly I would prefer not to use it at all and just get a natural tan (I tan easily, so that shouldn't be a problem), but given I'm going from sea level to high altitude, I'm not sure if that's a really smart approach, at least not until I've had a chance to acclimate to my new surroundings.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 AM

569 posts, read 1,226,806 times
I read that bull frog spray is a very good one. I use foundation that has zinc oxide init and is a sun screen. Also you can buy lotion with sun screen in it which may be a good choice as it is so dry here. I tan easy also and rarely used sun screen but since I am older, I do more now so I do not look like a dried up apple.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I read that bull frog spray is a very good one. I use foundation that has zinc oxide init and is a sun screen. Also you can buy lotion with sun screen in it which may be a good choice as it is so dry here. I tan easy also and rarely used sun screen but since I am older, I do more now so I do not look like a dried up apple.
Good point, I get dry skin (and flakes) easily so I'll need to use lotion anyway.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 AM

409 posts, read 553,976 times
With respect to toxicity, make sure your information is from a reliable source and not some random pseudoscience bull sh*t blog. That said, I avoid the avobenzone sunscreens when I'm traveling somewhere that has water with high iron content. The ingredient reacts with iron to stain orange on clothing. I haven't had that problem with our water here.

Whatever regular sunscreen you get, make sure to get a facial moisturizer that has SPF for every day use, year round. I don't know if you're male or female, but any drugstore here will have SPF moisturizers marketed to both. The sun here is more intense, and skin cancer rates are much higher here at altitude.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
With respect to toxicity, make sure your information is from a reliable source and not some random pseudoscience bull sh*t blog. That said, I avoid the avobenzone sunscreens when I'm traveling somewhere that has water with high iron content. The ingredient reacts with iron to stain orange on clothing. I haven't had that problem with our water here.

Whatever regular sunscreen you get, make sure to get a facial moisturizer that has SPF for every day use, year round. I don't know if you're male or female, but any drugstore here will have SPF moisturizers marketed to both. The sun here is more intense, and skin cancer rates are much higher here at altitude.
Thanks, I'll probably start out with a SPF moisturizer and see how it goes. I tend to dress heavily so most of my skin should be protected anyway. I'm male so I'll need a manly kind of moisturizer, whatever that will mean.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM

409 posts, read 553,976 times
Usually it means that it comes in a black bottle.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Usually it means that it comes in a black bottle.
Ahhh, so I'll have to look for the bottles that are AC/DC approved.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 PM

4,946 posts, read 6,600,281 times
Mainly I wear a facial lotion with spf factor and cover the rest with long-sleeves, etc. I have some clothes that include spf factor in the fabric, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs