Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:03 AM

12 posts, read 17,522 times

Advertisements

We are moving to COS in a few months and looking at neighborhoods to live in - Gold Hill Mesa looked like it might have a lifestyle that we had in mind. Looking in the forum, we say discussions about it is built on a old mine tailings dump. I am underling that since a few years has past since the development was started - what are the folks feelings once they have lived there? Any problems have come up environmental testing, radon in basements? With all the fill - are there any foundation sedlilment problems showing up? What is the HOA like and its cost?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:38 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
My friend's daughter lives up there and they love it. I personally wouldn't consider it, but it can be fine for some.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,890 times
Personally I would not but that is just me. As far as radon goes----it is everywhere mostly!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Lots of nice places to live in COS. Why choose to live on top of a pile of mine tailings?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
We strongly considered it, but the price per square footage is extraordinarily high, and unless things have changed considerably, the HOA fees were high compared to what you could get elsewhere. If I remember correctly, it was something around $120 for basic maintenance, whereas Cordera had a cheaper monthly fee and it included a gym.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
I don't have a link in which to refer, but initially it was said that gardening was discouraged in Gold Hill Mesa due to the mine tailings. It's close to where I work and appears to be a nice, well-kept part of town. As long as I don't want to grow my own tomatoes, I'd consider it. As previously mentioned, install a radon mitigation system.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I would not like to live in Gold Hill Mesa, on top a mountain of poisonous mine tailings covered with a six foot cap of clay. I don't like messing with Hwy 24 and the road system down there. Primary poison used in the mining process was cyanide.

Some info on the area is here. More info is here. More info is here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:16 PM

Mike - Thanks for the links - they were real informative. We are considering the type of lifestyle they seem have at GHM. Looking forward to exploring all the nice places to live in COS, we will pass on this one.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Ed, tell us about the desired lifestyle and our regulars on here will steer you in the right direction; also tell us about any work location or budget preferences.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM

We've retired and moving back to Colorado - was in the Denver area for a couple of years and miss the Colorado views, outdoors, and weather. While we liked Denver, getting into ta house bidding war as no appeal to us PLUS it COS has better lifestyle than Denver. We plan to rent for a few months to see if we really do like it.

We look forward to having bike/hiking trails nearby - the closer the better. One thing we are thinking about is perhaps a patio type home in a development that offers a "low maintenance" lots - I wouldn't miss lawn work, also being able to leave for trips and not having to worry about yard would be a plus. We looking for houses around $300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs