U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 06:59 PM

13,376 posts, read 21,299,412 times

Advertisements

You lived your whole life in 24 years?

Old 05-11-2015, 01:29 AM

26 posts, read 24,037 times
I'm sorry that you experienced that here, stoneclaw. I'm always saddened when I hear that. When we were driving through Wyoming to move to Colorado Springs last summer, we stopped a few times at gas stations/fast food places and each time the white locals would stare at my 11 yo daughter. She was adopted and although half-Mexican, looks predominantly Asian. It was so obvious, that my daughter asked me why everyone keeps staring at her. It really hurt her. I hope that your experiences are much better where you're living now.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,980 times
hi, i have 6 monts living here in colorado springs and i've been looking for jobs since i came here and no one hires me, i'm from dominican republic and i'm believe this is because of racism that i don't get hired. someone tell me if it's what is happening :'(

Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM

18,385 posts, read 8,594,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblau View Post
hi, i have 6 monts living here in colorado springs and i've been looking for jobs since i came here and no one hires me, i'm from dominican republic and i'm believe this is because of racism that i don't get hired. someone tell me if it's what is happening :'(
Maybe, maybe not. Any evidence?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 PM

463 posts, read 399,965 times
Lots of military which is diverse culturally, so I would say NO.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM

806 posts, read 1,165,743 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it's impossible to know, unless someone or someones are blatant about it. I'm white, male, young but not too young, tall but not too tall, educated at top national universities, and it took me years, not months, but years to make the contacts in Colorado Springs that led me into employment appropriate to my education. Obviously, being white and male, it wasn't racism or sexism that held me back (unless you want to call it "racism" or "sexism" my two or three interviews for State of Colorado public sector jobs for which I was thoroughly qualified and interviewed by in each case by multiple minority females and not offerred a position in any case, but I prefer not to think of it in those terms). So then why did I as a white male find it so difficult to find appropriate employment for years after moving to Colorado Springs? The answer is pretty simple - lack of connections. In smaller communities (and larger communities for that matter) the old saying "it's not what you know but who you know that matters" is all too true. So many people in Colorado Springs (and everywhere really, but definitely here) who look like they've "made it" actually have Mom or Dad or Uncle or College Buddy to thank for getting them in the door. Not everybody but a surprising amount. And frankly, it's always been that way, and probably always will be that way. Now that I have all the connections, I could walk into probably 6-8 different firms where I know people and they know me and jump right in and make my same income or more. Back when I knew nobody in town, crickets were chirping loudly.

Moral of the story here is that there may be elements of racism or sexism that make your job search more challenging. That is not likely the entire story however. You need to get out there, meet people, volunteer at something you are passionate about. People will notice you, get to know you, then you will be a little bit connected. Then you'll eventually be alot connected. Then finding a job will be easy, whether you are brown, purple, white, or green. Keep the faith, and trust "they" won't be able to hold you back forever! Only you can do that.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 PM

2,817 posts, read 4,203,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You lived your whole life in 24 years?
Not sure what point you were trying to make but I didn't say I lived my whole life in 24 years. I said I lived pretty much my whole life in Colorado Springs, and when I left I was 24 years old which at the time I had lived there since I was 2, so yes 22 years out of 24 was pretty much my whole life.

Did I ask you already what the point of that was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm a black man who lived in Colorado Springs for pretty much my whole life and left at 24. During that time, I was profiled and stopped by the police probably about a dozen times, even walking home from school. So no, it's not a racist town at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from California View Post
I'm sorry that you experienced that here, stoneclaw. I'm always saddened when I hear that. When we were driving through Wyoming to move to Colorado Springs last summer, we stopped a few times at gas stations/fast food places and each time the white locals would stare at my 11 yo daughter. She was adopted and although half-Mexican, looks predominantly Asian. It was so obvious, that my daughter asked me why everyone keeps staring at her. It really hurt her. I hope that your experiences are much better where you're living now.
Thanks Janet. I guess I've come to realize that no place is perfect and still love the place and even miss it sometimes. All of my childhood memories took place in C/S and it's part of what made me who I am today. But yes at the same time, I can't really say I've had many encounters where I am now.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 PM

13,376 posts, read 21,299,412 times
I'm just saying that at 24 years old, you were still wet behind the ears.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,946,500 times
Quote:
Marblau, as previously stated it's impossible to absolutely say that the reason you're not getting hired is or isn't due to racism. I know that the Springs is a tough job market for just about everyone.

When I managed a commercial laundry in Denver many years ago, I had primarily Mexican and Mexican-American employees. I had a driver who was convinced that the clerk at the gas station we used was a racist because he treated the driver like crap. I might have believed it had the clerk not treated me the same way. Sometimes we just see what we want, regardless of any real evidence. Good luck on your job search!

Last edited by Kar54; 05-14-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 10:12 PM

9 posts, read 7,092 times
Hello,

There are some racist towns in Colorado but mostly Douglas county, Colorado Springs has never seemed like a very judgemental place. I believe that if people have a problem with any kind of racism or have some kind of homophobic fear they need to step back and take a look at history. Sure there is always going to be hate in this world and there is nothing we can do to change that, but Colorado is my favorite of the state that I have lived in. I feel like I am safe to be myself and I haven't really been bullied accept for in Castle Rock.

IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or