U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 PM

6,665 posts, read 9,615,965 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine retired and is moving to the Pacific Northwest. They have a house on North Weber on the east side of the ONEN. I was shocked to learn their house just went on the market for 700k. Yes, it is a nice home but I remember the days when 700k was nothing short of a mansion here (as do we all unless you've only been here a couple of years).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 09:09 PM

276 posts, read 410,420 times
Just got my USAA homeowners insurance bill for a renewing policy...the price is increasing by 24.8% compared to last year. They're blaming the increase entirely on sky-high replacement costs. I've had a policy with these clowns for 10 years, with zero claims made during that time. Just checked with AARP/Hartford, and their price for the same coverage is even higher. I feel trapped, abused and thoroughly taken advantage of. And the Fed is saying inflation is stable at 4%. Yeah...right.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:52 PM

24,731 posts, read 45,851,716 times
^^^^^Must be some of those supply chain issues, dontcha know.

When we moved to the Phoenix area from COLO SPGS our homeowners insurance dropped 90%, from $3700/year to $370/year. It's now about $480/year. Stillwater Insurance, lashed up with Geico who we had in COLO SPGS. I attribute the drop to this house having a sprinkler system, no hail storms to speak of, no wind storms, fire house a half mile away, and no Black Forest / Waldo Canyon wild fires.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:59 PM

5,367 posts, read 3,497,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
Just got my USAA homeowners insurance bill for a renewing policy...the price is increasing by 24.8% compared to last year. They're blaming the increase entirely on sky-high replacement costs. I've had a policy with these clowns for 10 years, with zero claims made during that time. Just checked with AARP/Hartford, and their price for the same coverage is even higher. I feel trapped, abused and thoroughly taken advantage of. And the Fed is saying inflation is stable at 4%. Yeah...right.
I doubt they are abusing your or taking advantage of you. Building costs are through the roof, and if you have a replacement policy, the value of your policy likely has gone up 24.8% -- or even more. Now hopefully they are willing to bring it down when materials come down.

I'm not sure if you've tried to buy a piece of lumber lately, but studs are going for $7.50 now. They used to be $2.50.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 AM

6,665 posts, read 9,615,965 times
https://gazette.com/business/hottest...6aa12f109.html

80911 hottest zip code last year, now it is 80916 - not just locally, but in the nation.

Some neighborhoods might boast newer, pricier and trendier houses than those on Colorado Springs' southeast side.

But no part of town — in fact, no area of the country — is as popular when it comes to buying a single-family home.

The 80916 ZIP code, which covers a portion of the Springs' southeast side, ranked as the nation's No. 1 area for home sales in 2021, according to a seventh annual hottest ZIP codes report released Thursday by Realtor.com, the California-based online real estate service.

Colorado Springs breaks its streak of record-high home prices
The area is bounded roughly by Platte Avenue on the north, the Milton E. Proby Parkway on the south, Academy Boulevard on the west and the Colorado Springs Airport and Peterson Space Force Base on the east.

The No. 1 ranking for 80916 comes after Realtor.com tabbed nearby 80911, which covers unincorporated Security-Widefield to the south, as the nation's hottest ZIP code last year.

Realtor.com's rankings are based on how fast homes sell in a particular ZIP code, along with how frequently home listings were viewed online by prospective buyers.

For its 2021 report, Realtor.com examined 29,000 ZIP codes nationwide during the first six months of this year and all areas had at least 13 active listings each month. Realtor.com limited hot ZIP codes to one per metro area to avoid having ZIPs from a single city dominate its list.

Apartment rents skyrocket to average of more than $1,400 a month in Colorado Springs
Realtor.com's report showed that homes in 80916 spent an average of just four days on the market before selling — eight days less than the Colorado Springs area as a whole and 33 days less? than the rest of the nation.

"By definition, the ZIPs that make our annual hottest report are very competitive, but this year, they are white hot," Danielle Hale, Realtor.com's chief economist, said in a news release. "Homes in this year's ZIPs are under contract in less than a week, which is three times faster than the contract times for last year's hottest markets."

The median list price of homes for sale in 80916, meanwhile, was $318,000, a nearly 20% increase on a year-over-year basis, the Realtor.com report showed.

The typical list price in 80916, however, was 36% lower than the rest of Colorado Springs and 17% below the nationwide list price. Still, 80916's lower prices made it an area where buyers could get more home for their money, according to Realtor.com.

"The area is known for its affordable homes, built in the 1970s and 80s, and the quick commute to military bases and defense contractors, such as Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman," Realtor.com's report said.

2 new Colorado Springs apartment projects target workforce housing
"In recent years, the ZIP has seen an influx of buyers from California and Texas looking to enjoy the outdoors and take advantage of top-rated schools including (James) Irwin Charter High School, rated eight out of 10 by GreatSchools.org."

The 80916 ZIP code didn't rate high in some demographic categories examined by Realtor.com; for example, the area wasn't among the top ZIPs embraced by young millennials ages 25 to 34, Realtor.com said.

Colorado Springs builders tout new, urban-style homes as more affordable alternative
Robert Crawford, a real estate agent with Re/Max Real Estate Group in Colorado Springs and who has marketed properties in 80916 and the southeast side, said the area is popular with Fort Carson soldiers who have an easy commute to the base. The comings and goings of soldiers also result in increased sales in the area, he added.

Lower prices on the southeast side and in 80916, meanwhile, are another incentive for homebuyers to consider the area, Crawford said.

The southeast side also is popular for purchases by national corporate buyers, such as Home Partners of America, Crawford said. The Chicago-based company buys homes nationwide and operates a rent-to-own program, in which tenants rent a home with an opportunity to buy.

HOTTEST ZIP CODES 2021
1. 80916, Colorado Springs

2. 14617, West Irondequoit, N.Y. (Rochester)

3. 01960, Peabody, Mass. (Boston)

4. 03103, Manchester Proper, N.H. (Manchester)

5. 27616, Brentwood, N.C. (Raleigh)

6. 43228, Lincoln Village, Ohio (Columbus)

7. 01757, Milford, Mass. (Worcester)

8. 03301, Concord Proper, N.H. (Concord)

9. 48336, Farmington, Mich. (Detroit)

10. 37067, Franklin, Tenn. (Nashville)

Source: Realtor.com

Old 08-13-2021, 08:22 AM

3,924 posts, read 3,852,522 times
Ahhh, 80916, the Cos equivalent of Aurora. Despite the bad press, much like Aurora, there are some very nice new construction areas and some older neighborhoods that are very well maintained. Its closeness to military bases and some areas of very small, rinky dink houses of questionable construction that are only blocks away from very nice houses have always conspired to give it a bad rep.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:10 PM

428 posts, read 330,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
A friend of mine retired and is moving to the Pacific Northwest. They have a house on North Weber on the east side of the ONEN. I was shocked to learn their house just went on the market for 700k. Yes, it is a nice home but I remember the days when 700k was nothing short of a mansion here (as do we all unless you've only been here a couple of years).
I would tell them do not move here. It is getting ridiculously expensive. Yes it is quite beautiful. If they do move here stay away from Portland and Seattle. Go for a smaller community. Maybe across Puget Sound. Poulsbo is pretty decent.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:14 PM

428 posts, read 330,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I'm buying a Class C RV so I don't have to were a mask again everywhere I go just in case but it looks like everyone had the same idea last year and drove up the prices on used RVs...
awesome. If I could I would consider an RV. I have friends who live out of their RV and travel the US. Work as campground hosts. They still have their house and rent it out to some friends so no worries about that.

Is Class C the ones that drive like a van? that's what I would want.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:29 AM

3,924 posts, read 3,852,522 times
Class C are built on a van or truck chassis and tend to be 20-34 feet in length. They have the van/truck cab with the coach box behind the cab. They are easy to drive but are not exactly like driving a van. Class B are the ones that look like a taller van but are standard van length. Much smaller than a class C and easy to take anywhere, but they also are much smaller inside. Class A are the large bus like units that are massive. There also is the Super C, which is a class C built on a single rear axle over the road diesel tractor. These are basically semi-truck chassis' with a coach built on them. They are a bit of a hybrid between a standard C and an A.

Yes, I do recall when some of the larger mansions in ONEN and some smaller mansions in the Broadmoor could be picked up for $700k or less. Those homes are now over $1.5 million and more depending on how recent updates were done to them. But this isn't a Cos or even CO phenomenon. Housing is going up almost everywhere.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:47 AM

5,367 posts, read 3,497,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
I would tell them do not move here. It is getting ridiculously expensive. Yes it is quite beautiful. If they do move here stay away from Portland and Seattle. Go for a smaller community. Maybe across Puget Sound. Poulsbo is pretty decent.
I'm sure that if they are in the process of moving they know what pricing looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs