U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,366,361 times

Advertisements

This is an unusually wet year.

From the Gazette: So much rain creates paradox for Colorado Springs Utilities

"Utilities expects most of its reservoirs this year will be at "operating capacity" - as high as reservoirs can be kept without overflowing - yet another rare occurrence for the system."

"Record-breaking spring rains in Colorado Springs lessened city water usage and has cost Utilities about $17 million in revenue since the start of the year, said Steve Berry, a Utilities spokesman. That number could change - for better or worse - during the summer, but it could also mean internal cuts for the company or possible rate hikes for customers."

So now Utilities is not meeting revenue needs.

The problem is that most of their costs are fixed, so when customers conserve, they need to increase rates. It's why I've always called them "Futility bills".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 AM

177 posts, read 218,942 times
Just like electricity, the more you save the higher the bills need to be (to maintain the utilities profit margin that is guaranteed by the states).

USA USA USA!!!!

Last edited by huffdiver; 06-11-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 AM

20,315 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Beware the term "American Exceptionalism" as some of the definitions can be a real trip....like the one mentioned below where utilities have a profit factor built in and defended by one or more layers of government.

If you can't beat them, join them, and practice your own form of American Exceptionalism and invest in utility stocks, ETFs, CEFs, etc and milk those 6% dividends at a time when CDs are paying 0.25% or worse. Exceptional indeed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM

3,847 posts, read 1,476,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Beware the term "American Exceptionalism" as some of the definitions can be a real trip....like the one mentioned below where utilities have a profit factor built in and defended by one or more layers of government.

If you can't beat them, join them, and practice your own form of American Exceptionalism and invest in utility stocks, ETFs, CEFs, etc and milk those 6% dividends at a time when CDs are paying 0.25% or worse. Exceptional indeed.
I like real estate and gold more than etfs. I feel like I actually am in control of my assets.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:11 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,518,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is an unusually wet year.

From the Gazette: So much rain creates paradox for Colorado Springs Utilities

"Utilities expects most of its reservoirs this year will be at "operating capacity" - as high as reservoirs can be kept without overflowing - yet another rare occurrence for the system."

"Record-breaking spring rains in Colorado Springs lessened city water usage and has cost Utilities about $17 million in revenue since the start of the year, said Steve Berry, a Utilities spokesman. That number could change - for better or worse - during the summer, but it could also mean internal cuts for the company or possible rate hikes for customers."

So now Utilities is not meeting revenue needs.

The problem is that most of their costs are fixed, so when customers conserve, they need to increase rates. It's why I've always called them "Futility bills".
lol! I remember something similar in California, when people conserved electricity so much during the fake "electricity crisis" of 2000. They raised rates because they weren't making enough money.

Maybe everyone in the Springs could pledge to take hour long showers every day to "help out".

Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,709,785 times
Denverian, you might want to check out "the smartest guys in the room".

The utility companies (unregulated) were making windfall profits by creating "shortages" when they turned off capacity to the sole sake of creating shortages and jacking up prices because consumers could not see the price at the time they were being charged. It is the reason we have so much regulation on utility companies now. It is a shame we didn't send more people to sit in jail cells. Instead, we reserve jail cells for poor people that can't afford bail.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:36 PM

154 posts, read 116,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
but it could also mean internal cuts for the company or possible rate hikes for customers."
In other words, we are going to be penalized for conserving our energy usage. I love how they say, "it could also mean internal cuts OR possible rate hikes for customers". We all know there won't be any internal cuts. That is just a fancy way of saying, "we don't want to make any internal cuts, so we will be penalizing you, the customer".

Well played, Springs Utilities. Well played.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:54 PM

13,693 posts, read 21,517,011 times
I doubt that there cannot be internal cuts, just not at the upper levels. Furloughs, decreased benefits, hiring freezes, etc. are common or at least a possibility, are they not?

I'm of the opinion that CoSprings should focus more on how they are going to manage and clean their water in the years to come. And yeah, in the end? That's all on yous... the customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or