U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 PM

4,762 posts, read 6,390,974 times

Advertisements

I've lived here my whole life and my family has been here several generations, but it might still be insightful if I can say that when I've gone elsewhere, a few things that surprised me were the following:

1. How closed-in and claustrophobic many other areas feel - trees everywhere and flatness so that you can never really see the lay of the land. That's one thing that really bugs me when I go out east, etc. And no mountains to look at! I really miss them when I go elsewhere.

2. I thought every city had a Motor City and that is just how cars were sold everywhere.

3. I was shocked seeing hard liquor sold in some grocery stores.

4. Ugh! How humid a lot of the country is - just miserable!

5. Some places had green grass even in winter, without watering. I had no idea that was possible.

6. Some places have houses without front yards - never saw that before I traveled.

7. A lot of the country is segregated by race a lot even now. Like there are 'black' neighborhoods and China Towns etc. I thought that was a thing of the past until I traveled.

8. Although some people think housing here is expensive, I am flabbergasted by housing prices in a lot of other places in the country - I just don't know how anyone can afford a house in most big cities on the coasts, etc.

9. Not everywhere, but a lot of places in the country have better roads and better public transportation than we do.

10. In some places, trash service is run by the city, and recycling is mandated by law.

Hopefully that gives you some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:03 PM

691 posts, read 399,105 times
Wait, trash is run by the city in Albuquerque. How is it handled there?!?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:06 PM

34 posts, read 38,682 times
The sheer number of Subarus.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM

208 posts, read 206,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomNM View Post
Wait, trash is run by the city in Albuquerque. How is it handled there?!?
Lots and lots and lots and lots of private companies

Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 PM

557 posts, read 584,842 times
The reason why property taxes are so low in Colorado Springs is that we don't get the city services people take for granted in other cities. That includes pothole repair and snow removal as well as trash/recycling pickup.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 PM

418 posts, read 994,046 times
  • How loooooong the stop lights are
  • How cheap the utilities are (a very pleasant surprise after Hawaii)
  • The anti-tax mentality that has helped stunt the parks, the roads, the schools, and public transit.
  • The inability to elect an actual Democrat to county/city-wide office.
  • The lack of New Mexican-style Mexican food (Pueblo, 40 miles away, has about 160 such places)
  • The number of nice trails for walking that are in the midst of the city
  • How there are a number of relatively quick ways to go north/south, but none to go east/west
  • Private trash/recycling companies (had never encountered that before)
  • The lack of a real downtown grocery store. If there were one, there might be more downtown housing. Or if there were more downtown housing, there might be a real grocery story. Not sure which it is.
  • Unexpectedly excellent sushi (Sushi Ring and Sushin Ring II)

Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM

400 posts, read 371,263 times
The fact that we don't have any springs here. Lol!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 6,578,172 times
Deer. We would have 10 - 20 deer in our yard at times. Keeping a garden (veggie or flower) was nearly impossible because the deer would eat everything. Sometimes the bucks would have fights which were LOUD and we'd find shed antlers in the yard. We also had a mountain lion in our front yard. Several of us called the police about it, and the news trucks showed up, as well. This was in a subdivision on the hill above Garden of the Gods Rd and I-25.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 AM

11,390 posts, read 10,082,752 times
What caught me off guard? Seriously?
The first and every time I get on I-25 going North from Fillmore!

The entrance ramp just ENDS...it is the shortest and most surprisingly, dangerous
entrance onto a speeding interstate
ever, anywhere!

Biggest surprise otherwise...coming from NYC/Long Island 29 yrs ago, the friendly people.

Oh also, unlike the East Coast...their medians are not marked well...turning left onto
a Blvd/divided street...other states the curb itself is clearly marked.
They have a sign set way back here, too far back, imo, on the median.
Careful.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 AM

11,390 posts, read 10,082,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
  • How loooooong the stop lights are
  • How cheap the utilities are (a very pleasant surprise after Hawaii)
  • The anti-tax mentality that has helped stunt the parks, the roads, the schools, and public transit.
  • The inability to elect an actual Democrat to county/city-wide office.
  • The lack of New Mexican-style Mexican food (Pueblo, 40 miles away, has about 160 such places)
  • The number of nice trails for walking that are in the midst of the city
  • How there are a number of relatively quick ways to go north/south, but none to go east/west
  • Private trash/recycling companies (had never encountered that before)
  • The lack of a real downtown grocery store. If there were one, there might be more downtown housing. Or if there were more downtown housing, there might be a real grocery story. Not sure which it is.
  • Unexpectedly excellent sushi (Sushi Ring and Sushin Ring II)
Excellent List!!! All great, just bolded some I esp felt
stonger about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or