Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times

Advertisements

I see what you're saying. I guess my viewpoint is that Colorado Springs is nothing like LA or Chicago - we have a big city a short distance from here already, and no need or position to become another one, really. I grew up here and never thought Colorado Springs would ever become anything like an LA or Chicago, nor that it should.

I think we don't grow like Chicago but more like LA in style, though - because we have land, and it is cheaper and easier for developers to just spread out than it is to tear down, rebuild, redesign, build up, etc. In other words, high rises often don't go in unless they were put in when the place was first developed, part of the initial design. The logistics of changing the fundamental nature of downtown to something else is a nightmare most people don't want to take on, although there has been some effort here and there - and then they usually find it too hard. I think the only way it would happen organically is if there were an incredible economic boom that actually drove it - and I don't see that happening for a variety of reasons - for one, I think the idea of perpetual economic growth is a stack of cards, and two, Denver did it and we're so close to Denver that it just doesn't make logistical sense unless population of the Front Range were much higher than it is and growth tends to happen there first because it is already the hub, and so the growth that follows in surrounding areas later are more supplemental or supportive rather than separate - the Front Range is really one big economy in many ways and functions more as a whole than separate parts in a lot of ways. And I think water will limit the Front Range growth at some point and we'll never get to that population level, either - unless the population of the U.S. on a whole doubled or something - which is possible but unlikely in the foreseeable future. I could be totally wrong about the long term growth here, though - I mean, consider that what you're seeing around you was all created in less than 150 years and the changes in any 50 year period or generation are pretty huge. The population of Colorado Springs when my great-grandparents were kids here was around 20,000; when my grand parents were kids it was maybe 30,000-35,000; for my parents it was about 50,000, and by the time I came around it had essentially tripled to about 100,000-150,000. By 1990 it had doubled, and almost again by 2010 to 420,000. Plus, growth outside the city limits has been similar if not more over the same time periods.

I think we're plenty big now and I'm not really hoping we grow more - rather, I'd rather see what we have be made better. For you, maybe that would be a bigger, taller downtown - I'm not personally sold on that, but I do support the idea of urban renewal like the UCCS area and would prefer that to continually using up more land while pieces inside decay, etc.

Last edited by otowi; 07-02-2015 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:28 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
Very well put otowi!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 25,253 times
No, just no. We're moving to CS in 3 months to get away from the miserable rat race city life. There's plenty of places with tall buildings and other big city features that you can move to if that's your thing, let's not turn CS into that.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPSFan View Post
No, just no. We're moving to CS in 3 months to get away from the miserable rat race city life. There's plenty of places with tall buildings and other big city features that you can move to if that's your thing, let's not turn CS into that.
I am doing just that actually. Planning on moving to NYC for a couple years then jetting over to Tokyo after that. Maybe I'll come back to my hometown when I'm old .

Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I to have lived in the springs my whole life and I think its pathetic how neglected our downtown is. The reason this city has so many infrastructure problems is due to urban sprawl. Concentrate more people in the downtown location and make it more difficult to constantly build out. Building up is far more aesthetically pleasing and environmentally friendly.
Being crowded like rats in a downtown is not aesthetically pleasing to many. Their are many problems that come with that so be careful what you wish for. It is all in how you look at it. I personally like urban sprawl so to speak so I have space and especially room to see for miles. That is just my personal opinion for sure. I got tired of listening to all the issues in the Seattle area due to high rises. You want to live like that, then go to a big city that has them and enjoy. No this is not due to urban sprawl. I lived in the Seattle area for 10 years and until you walk in those shoes, be careful what you ask for or move. Nothing stays the same so move forward or move on.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I am doing just that actually. Planning on moving to NYC for a couple years then jetting over to Tokyo after that. Maybe I'll come back to my hometown when I'm old .
Congrats to you. I think you should do that and follow your dream. I have done that a few times and as you get to a different stage of life, your needs change. A been there done that kind of thing. I do however believe one should do that---a growing learning thing. I wish you the best and much happiness. I am sure you will learn a lot.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Downtown Colorado Springs is already a pretty nice area. I can see why some say it's undersized for a city its size but I find those critiques to be a bit void of substance, really. Now certainly the area can stand to improve. I used to be of the mindset that a few new high rises would look great, but I don't necessarily feel that way anymore. I see a series of mixed-use improvement in the 6-8 stories range being the fix. I also think that Olympic Museum and stadium would be a good addition and generate a lot of foot traffic. The street level vibrancy matters a lot more than a 25 story tower. And there are some decent options on the table to affect this end.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:20 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
I love that it has a low profile. My city is being bombarded with tall condos and towers - I don't like them.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I love that it has a low profile. My city is being bombarded with tall condos and towers - I don't like them.
Really and you like a sea of houses with no public transit?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 AM

977 posts, read 1,327,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPSFan View Post
At least CS has one big-city feature: terrible traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs