U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 AM

23 posts, read 79,863 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am mid 30s married individual originally from India, currently living in Irvine, CA since 2007. I am married and my wife is currently not working but plan to start looking for job in Accounting/Financial Analysis area. We have a 3 year old son. I have two job offers one from Colorado Springs, CO and other from Chandler, AZ
Colorado job will be paying $142K and Chandler job will pay $138K. Currently I make $168K in Irvine, CA and own 3-bdrm (1600 sq. ft) condo. We don't have a need and desire for big homes and big lots. Wht we desire is friendly and safe place, good schools, Indian resources (grocery stores and restaurants). Also we appreciate possibility of finding domestic help for chores when needed. Reason for leaving CA is job instability and no luck in finding similar job locally.
We have visited Phoenix and Colorado Springs several times and feel we need to deal with 3 months of not so desirable conditions. Are we missing anything? What you will do if you were in my shoes? Both jobs re with big reputed organizations. Please share your comments....Need to decide by Thursday 7/9
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 AM

76 posts, read 50,803 times
I don't love either place, Springs being my least-favorite place in Colorado.

Alas, if the money is the same I still don't see it as a serious conundrum.

Springs.

Colorado, political predispositions aside, houses more intelligent people than Arizona...by some distance. My politics more closely align with Arizona but reality intervenes. The "Feeling" of Colorado is better; Even Springs, which has a social nature I don't like, has a "special" feeling. Most people you meet feel lucky to be there. The view driving home from work really does matter, and in the Springs it's likely to be stunning. Doing dumb stuff like going for a walk with your wife is more enjoyable when you might see some mountainous animal as you climb through the hills of one of the greatest mountain ranges in human history.

There are very few bugs in the Springs due to winter and thin air. It feels "clean;" because it is clean. If you don't like the military/conservative stuff, there are fine private schools at a good price. Hardened self-made mountainous types driving old trucks weave through town. Liberal, hyper-educated Bernie Sanders supporters are there too. And there is a great middle class in Springs; not my cup of tea socially, but there is a real feeling of decency within the cookie cutter housing sectors.

The military stuff is a huge downside. Not popular to say, but a bigger percentage agree with me than you might find on the surface..saying such things in America is shunned in public. Bars are basically off-limits if you don't want to fight over a "u lookin at me breh?" type situation. Lots of insecurities..very different than a Navy Seal outlet in San Diego where the men know they are hard...these fellas seem to have a lot to prove..it's gross, and it's prevalent in the evenings. It's the biggest downside to living in the springs if you're a night owl..

I'd detail Chandler as a comparison in most cases but I honestly don't see the point in wasting my time doing so in this situation. It's a far inferior location for ambitious people raising children in every meaningful way, almost universally.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:02 AM

4,339 posts, read 4,379,127 times
I moved to Colorado Springs from Tempe, Az in 1977. Both places have their pluses and minuses.

For me the biggest deal was the environment: The Phoenix area had polluted air inversions in winter that made it hard for me to breathe. My allergies there were awful. The tap water there was so bad it had to be filtered to be drinkable. And the climate from May-Oct was just too hot for me. And now, with Arizona in a prolonged drought, one has to be concerned with that.

In Colorado Springs the air is usually clean and fresh, we have ample, fresh, cold, delicious tap water (reservoirs are now full), it's a great place to raise a family and it has excellent schools. Two of my kids graduated from Rampart High and went on to MIT and Harvard Med. As for the weather, we have several months where it is too cold. But I'll take too cold over too hot because you can always put on a down coat.

As for access to Indian resources, I can't answer that. Perhaps you would need to visit Denver to find what you need.

So my vote would be for Colorado Springs.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM

20,343 posts, read 37,861,657 times
For a lot of reasons, many already stated, I'd urge COLO SPGS for the climate and year-round livability versus the blazing heat of the Phoenix area. The military brings a fair amount of diversity and tolerance here and I'd think you'd do well to take the job in this city.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:48 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,705,322 times
I have several Indian friends and they tend to go to Denver for all things Indian - the Springs itself is a bit sparse that way. But I don't think Chandler would be better, I think it would be worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or