Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectHologram View Post
Sorry, I see that I wasn't clear with my response.

My offering for a solution is to see what the Salvation Army is doing for their shelter clients re their work program, daily monitoring of D/A issues, MH issues. Take those pieces and start there. They've had tremendous success with their approach.

Now, as for those who are homeless by choice? I don't really know. Let's hear your ideas, phetaroi.
That's why I don't go on and on about this problem. I have no solutions. In fact, this isn't really a local problem. It's a national problem. I see it in Denver, and D.C., as well, and we all know it affects every city. So what we need are some national solutions. But the bottom line for me is that most all of the things of which I am aware (e.g., soup kitchens and shelters) do nothing to solve the problem, but actually may perpetuate the problem (though that is not saying that they are not needed). It's amazing to me that the richest nation on earth seems to have no desire to actually tackle the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:03 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Default Colorado Springs sees significant decline in homelessness

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/new...835a3-77913721

However, it looks like a lot of the data used is pre-COVID....

"The city of Colorado Springs had the ninth-biggest decline in the number of homeless people among medium-to-large U.S. cities, according to the new report titled "The State of Homelessness" by Security.org.

Colorado Springs experienced a 14.3 percent decline in homelessness, according to the study.

Other cities on the decline include: Fayetteville (AR) -32 percent, Eugene (OR) -25.8 percent, Memphis (TN) -22.9 percent, Amarillo (TX) -22.8 percent, Flint (MI) -22.4 percent, Jacksonville (FL) -17.4 percent, Tallahassee (FL) -16.7 percent, and Syracuse (NY) -15.6 percent.

Security.org released a study on the State of Homelessness in 2021 using data released in January 2020 from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The study looks at data by age, metro and state, and several other factors over the past five years.

Overall, Colorado ranked at No. 11 among all states in regard to the homeless population, with about 170 homeless people per 100,000 residents.

Nationwide, the number of people experiencing homelessness has increased each of the last four years. About 39 percent of homeless people are unsheltered, which has increased for six consecutive years. While children account for 18 percent of homeless people, that rate is down from 23 percent a decade ago."

Old 04-23-2021, 08:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
https://www.greenmatters.com/p/3d-pr...-home-homeless

Formerly Homeless Man Moves Into the First 3D-Printed Tiny Home
the U.S.’s first permitted 3D-printed house in the Austin, Texas area

here is an interesting solution for the homeless

Old 04-23-2021, 08:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Perhaps, but this is assuming the recipient wants to improve their conditions. After reading the report from Aurora, this class of homeless is only a third or less of the homeless population. The remaining consist of those with addiction problems that need more assistance than just housing and those who chose the lifestyle and don't want help at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs