U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM

418 posts, read 991,925 times

Advertisements

Indeed. If a candidate of Irv Halter's character and military experience couldn't win against Lamborn, no one can. And Richard Skorman would have made so much better of a mayor than Bach. But, as he noted in conversation with me, it's just not possible anymore for a Democrat to get more than 40% of the vote (at the outside) in a city-wide election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 PM

4,741 posts, read 6,350,719 times
Yes, democrats rarely win county-wide elections. But the percentage of democrats in El Paso County is significant - something like 40-ish percent - enough that they make a very big impact in state-wide electoral vote decisions. And we do have democratic enclaves where candidates like Merrifield regularly win. So yes, in some ways we are solidly red, but in the big picture, we really are purple.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 PM

418 posts, read 991,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
...Pete Lee (D) win their state Senate and House seats (respectively) last November? Those two districts cover the heart of Colorado Springs.
Well, Lee's district is nicely gerrymandered to encompass downtown, Old North End/CC, and Manitou. But it is far outweighed by the donut districts that keep Colorado Springs/El Paso County reliably and safely (ugh) Republican-dominated.

And there is no way in the foreseeable future that Colorado Springs will ever have a Democrat congressional representative -- in fact, there is little point in Democrats contending for such until such time (a lot further off for the Springs than for the state as a whole) as immigration and Millennial voting trends make it possible.

Competitive districts are good for the body politic; the nationwide profusion of gerrymandered "safe" districts is a leading cause of the troubles American civic life finds itself in.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 PM

89 posts, read 94,204 times
I hope CS is as good as we always think it is. we would love to live in the city, but my husbands job will still be by IKEA in Centennial, so we are going with Monument now. We spent the last 4 years in Highlands Ranch. There are downsides I am sure, and Monument is definitely one of the pricier places in El Paso county, but beautiful and quiet!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 AM

569 posts, read 1,210,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I love it because the natural beauty is amazing. I love hiking and there is hardly a better place to live for that. I love that it has everything I could want or need in terms of shopping close by without the hassle or traffic of Denver. I love the good schools. I love the mostly friendly people. I love the weather. I love the lack of humidity. I love the little museums and historical sites all over the place both in town and for day trips. I love the diversity of flora and fauna and the mingling of habitats here. I love the small-town feel of my neighborhood. I love the easy N/S commutes we have. I love our sunsets and our mountain vistas. I love that it is not ridiculously fast-paced here. I love that buying a house is still a realistic goal for even one-income families here. There's more but that should give the idea.
I totally agree plus it is family oriented--low crime--has good health care--amazing wild life--I feel like I belong(community feel).

Old 07-12-2015, 01:41 AM

376 posts, read 242,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
Well, Lee's district is nicely gerrymandered to encompass downtown, Old North End/CC, and Manitou. But it is far outweighed by the donut districts that keep Colorado Springs/El Paso County reliably and safely (ugh) Republican-dominated.

And there is no way in the foreseeable future that Colorado Springs will ever have a Democrat congressional representative -- in fact, there is little point in Democrats contending for such until such time (a lot further off for the Springs than for the state as a whole) as immigration and Millennial voting trends make it possible.
Thank you for the informative post. Clearly I am not familiar with the political intricacies in Colorado Springs. However from what I have seen Colorado Springs as a city is much more purple than Los Angeles will ever be. For example I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the Springs gets a Democrat in DC sooner than LA will have a Republican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
Competitive districts are good for the body politic; the nationwide profusion of gerrymandered "safe" districts is a leading cause of the troubles American civic life finds itself in.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:01 AM

81 posts, read 61,841 times
I have never experienced the community feel/feeling like I belong even in the small towns I've lived in, let alone a city...excited to see what its all about. I'm hoping Colorado is the spot for me. I'm looking for the state that I feel is meant for me.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 AM

214 posts, read 620,068 times
I am one that moved from San Diego. But I also grew up in Northern Virginia. Mostly it is much more affordable, a lot less traffic and people. My sister moved here for work and when I visited I felt it was a great place to live. I was jealous that she could afford a brand new house and car. I was struggling in San Diego and hating my job commute. So the choice was made and although I have moments of missing San Diego weather and beaches or friends and family in Northern Virginia, its not enough to move back.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM

11,341 posts, read 10,016,296 times
Having lived in many cities...I loved something about them all.

But, I stayed the longest here... nice people, great climate, you can own a gun for protection with no issues, unlike NY,
( I hate being defenseless in my home, like the women I see on TV being burgled!),
good house prices...love that everything on TV is an hour earlier, haha.
Now there are great restaurants, finally.
Close to Denver for more museums and art, better shopping ...not too far.

No bug issues like humid Minn, NY, and forget about the prehistoric things in TX and FL!
No oppressive heat like the Midwest, whew, one summer there was enough for me!
Mild winters... no HUGE flooding or tornados.
I live on high ground far enough from the creeks, not near a forest like friends living in dread in Cheyenne Canon...feel safe from burglars with my German Shepard...

There also is the tourist element that keeps the place lighthearted and I like the Westside old hippie, laid back element, too.

Gee, I guess I really DO love it here. I don't care what your life style is...couch potato or hiker or Christian fundy or liberal...

Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM

6,503 posts, read 11,545,339 times
I think the USA including CS would be far better off, if the politics, religions, mindsets etc etc didn't dominate so many regions as it does in this country. No matter what side of anything you live your life by. I just think we would be a stronger more accepting country, if we got off this merry go round. I just think we would all be better off, and it would take so much stress off of living from one place to the other in this country.

Politics is mentioned several times in this thread about CS. Most reviews on the area, no matter what publication you read. After the beauty of the area is mentioned, its economy and population figures. Not always but many times CS conservative or Religious background is mentioned. I'm not sure if that is because Focus on the Family, is based there or Military Base or what the reason is. Is that the reason, does anyone know? It just seems to come up a lot with this particular city for many years now. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or