Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:57 AM

936 posts, read 2,201,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We have a monsoon season that comes some time in summer in most years.
I seem to recall some of the locals mentioning that. The storms coming over the mountains were pretty severe and it was tough being in a campground with a popup camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I love it because the natural beauty is amazing. I love hiking and there is hardly a better place to live for that. I love that it has everything I could want or need in terms of shopping close by without the hassle or traffic of Denver. I love the good schools. I love the mostly friendly people. I love the weather. I love the lack of humidity. I love the little museums and historical sites all over the place both in town and for day trips. I love the diversity of flora and fauna and the mingling of habitats here. I love the small-town feel of my neighborhood. I love the easy N/S commutes we have. I love our sunsets and our mountain vistas. I love that it is not ridiculously fast-paced here. I love that buying a house is still a realistic goal for even one-income families here. There's more but that should give the idea.
^ I think this nails it quite well. Would've given rep to Otowi, but I am already capped on giving rep there.

I will add to this list that I love our relatively low taxation levels and our rights to maintain lower tax levels. With the federal tax breaks in the code, having lower levels of state taxes makes it much easier to qualify for federal breaks. IE, if you can defer all but about (MFJ) 36k of your gross income into retirement accounts while not being students, you can qualify for the full saver's credit and completely wipe out federal income tax liability (because the 2k credit will exceed the $1560 or so that would have been due). This is a city where living on 3k/month for a couple is easily possible.

I also love that despite keeping a very tight control on the taxes, we have an incredible library system. The only weakness is that we could use a library up near woodmen and powers. This one corner of the city has to drive quite a few miles to hit the nearest library (East Library), but it is a great library with a great online reservation system and books are transferred within the library system so they can reach the library where someone is waiting for them. Trust me, an intelligently designed library system is not a common thing to find.

One last note. We have some nice restaurants here. It is not a "foodie" scene, but there are some good places and the overall costs for anything from a nice meal to a haircut are lower than I was used to. If you'll excuse me, I have a dog to take out for a stroll while we gaze upon the mountains in the wonderfully cool morning air that we enjoy on most summer days.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
One last note. We have some nice restaurants here. It is not a "foodie" scene,.......
Blue Star, Brother Luck, Rabbit Hole, 2 South Wine Bar, 503W, Tapateria. We have plenty of places to keep "foodies" happy.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
I wanted to get out of Denver for the longest time, and 16 years ago I got my chance. I took the transfer and never looked back.

COS is just the right size for me. The people are friendly, the air is cleaner (on a particulate basis) than up north. The mountain vistas can't be beat. It's having the beauty of being close to the mountains, like Salt Lake City, without any of the drawbacks. And the traffic vs. Denver can't be compared.

My wish is that the city was better planned and maintained. A comment was made in a publication a few years back that I really couldn't disagree with: "The city itself is unattractive. If the Springs were loaded atop a flatbed and hauled out to the middle of Nebraska, it would make Omaha look lovely." From a strictly aesthetic cityscape POV, I do think Denver is a more attractive city. But we have Pikes Peak, and for me that gives the Springs the edge.

Last edited by Kar54; 07-20-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 05:16 PM

86 posts, read 89,815 times
I'm not one to pick a location on the aesthetics of the city, but rather the outdoors. I am drawn to COS just because it is so close to the mountain. Good to know about the air quality, makes sense. I keep hearing the same things about the state of the roads, etc...it's a shame it's not presented better. I grew up in Michigan and know what pothole roads are like...so at least i'm familiar and can live with it...and dodge holes pretty well.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 PM

274 posts, read 339,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_85 View Post
I'm not one to pick a location on the aesthetics of the city, but rather the outdoors. I am drawn to COS just because it is so close to the mountain. Good to know about the air quality, makes sense. I keep hearing the same things about the state of the roads, etc...it's a shame it's not presented better. I grew up in Michigan and know what pothole roads are like...so at least i'm familiar and can live with it...and dodge holes pretty well.
This is another point where it tops Denver, which is more further out from the mountains. I think to get the same feeling being close to the mountainside in the Denver area that you do here you'd have to live in one of the satellite towns like Golden.

I do wish the area of Silverthorne, Dillon and Frisco were closer though. Man the views you see in those mountain towns...

Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post

My wish is that the city was better planned and maintained. A comment was made in a publication a few years back that I really couldn't disagree with: "The city itself is unattractive. If the Springs were loaded atop a flatbed and hauled out to the middle of Nebraska, it would make Omaha look lovely." From a strictly aesthetic cityscape POV, I do think Denver is a more attractive city. But we have Pikes Peak, and for me that gives the Springs the edge.
CoS has grown so much, just in the 12 or so years I have been here. There are beautiful areas; I am thinking, the "old north end," with it's Tudor homes and mini mansions; reminds me of West Park Hill, in Denver. CoS has a lot of character!

Plus the Fine Arts Museum and all of the hiking trails. I live near Palmer Park and that Park just takes it all for a Park!!! A mountain, right in the middle of town!! (well almost a mountain!)...........

There is so much more!! Good place to explore, with Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs, the Garden of the Gods.............lots of hiking trails. I miss Denver; since that is my home town...but, hey I am close and now we have Bustang, the bus that just started back in service, along the front range and up to Glenwood Springs!! Yipee!!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
[i]C.but, hey I am close and now we have Bustang, the bus that just started back in service, along the front range and up to Glenwood Springs!! Yipee!!
Have you ridden it yet? Anyone tried it?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:48 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Have you ridden it yet? Anyone tried it?
I did it was ok I wish we had a high speed bullet train between the springs and Denver.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I wish we had a high speed bullet train between the springs and Denver.
That's about as likely as the U.S. becoming Europe and adopting the 30 hour work week, mandatory 12 week vacations, free college education, and universal single-payer healthcare. In that fantasy, Colorado can be Switzerland and we can all learn to speak 5 languages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs