Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM

86 posts, read 89,415 times

Advertisements

I keep reading the thread about surprising things about COS. I find it very interesting that so many love it. Just curious....for those of you who love it and say, "It just depends on your lifestyle and what you want out of life," will you please enlighten me on why you love it so much, in regards to your chosen lifestyle and what you want out of life.

Also, random question not directly related to the above....this may be a stupid question..but why are so many people moving from San Diego/California to Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM

6,802 posts, read 10,437,008 times
I love it because the natural beauty is amazing. I love hiking and there is hardly a better place to live for that. I love that it has everything I could want or need in terms of shopping close by without the hassle or traffic of Denver. I love the good schools. I love the mostly friendly people. I love the weather. I love the lack of humidity. I love the little museums and historical sites all over the place both in town and for day trips. I love the diversity of flora and fauna and the mingling of habitats here. I love the small-town feel of my neighborhood. I love the easy N/S commutes we have. I love our sunsets and our mountain vistas. I love that it is not ridiculously fast-paced here. I love that buying a house is still a realistic goal for even one-income families here. There's more but that should give the idea.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:40 PM

97 posts, read 192,902 times
100% agree with otowi!

There is SO MUCH to love about Colorado Springs! No where is completely perfect, but in my mind Colorado Springs comes very close.

We just moved to the Springs 10 days ago. Here is what I love...
-The lack of humidity. It really does make an amazingly huge difference!
-Very low risk of tornadoes.
-Pretty low cost of living.
-The mountains!!! My heart swells with gratitude to live here every time I see them. Which, when I'm driving around, is a lot because they are huge!
-The amazing public schools. (We live in district 20.)
-Playgrounds and parks all over for my kids to enjoy.
-Soooo many delicious restaurants to choose from.
-It's so clean here.
-Great shopping.
-Friendly people. Within 3 days of moving in, our neighbors on both sides and across the street had all come over to welcome us and bring us treats.
-So much to explore and do with a family. (Hiking, Zoo, Old Colorado City, splash parks, Garden of the Gods, Olympic Training Center, soon-to-come Great Wolf Lodge, and so much more!)

We are so thankful that things have worked out for us to be able to move here. We absolutely love it!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 PM

86 posts, read 89,415 times
I can't wait to feel the humidity or lack there of. I live in where it's 90+ degrees outside in the summer with 80-90+% humidity, which makes it impossible to enjoy the outdoors. It's miserable. My children don't even want to be out there.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:05 PM

97 posts, read 192,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_85 View Post
I can't wait to feel the humidity or lack there of. I live in where it's 90+ degrees outside in the summer with 80-90+% humidity, which makes it impossible to enjoy the outdoors. It's miserable. My children don't even want to be out there.
Sounds familiar! That's how it was for us before we moved here. The weather, overall, is phenomenal here. I want my kids to experience a childhood of playing outside all year round. Colorado makes that possible

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

402 posts, read 366,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_85 View Post
Also, random question not directly related to the above....this may be a stupid question..but why are so many people moving from San Diego/California to Colorado?
Speaking only for myself, CO has many of the recreational opportunities as CA at a much lower cost of living, with relatively mild weather. Try to find a good neighborhood with good schools and low crime to buy a starter home in LA, San Diego, or the SF bay area. You'll be spending minimum $500,000 for a tiny house built in the '60s with tons of maintenance issues. "But at least you can go surfing and skiing in the same day!!!"

Then there's the political climate. California is solidly under one-party rule, which leads to runaway graft and lack of public officials' accountability to the people. If you prefer that form of tyranny then maybe it works for you. I prefer to live in a purple state where ideas can compete and my vote will actually count for something.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:20 PM

432 posts, read 1,197,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
....California is solidly under one-party rule....
As is Colorado Springs, it should be noted.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 PM

402 posts, read 366,719 times
Hmm, so how did Michael Merrifield and Pete Lee (D) win their state Senate and House seats (respectively) last November? Those two districts cover the heart of Colorado Springs.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,197,971 times
Neither of those help govern the city or county.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 PM

278 posts, read 446,528 times
El Paso County has typically voted for the Republican candidate in presidential elections. The last Democratic nominee to win the county was Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964. Anyone care to guess when the last Democrat was elected El Paso County Commissioner?

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 07-10-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs