Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 AM

6,809 posts, read 10,471,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I tell you what bugs me. A white solid line means you stay in your lane.

Especially on the on ramp. The point where two of them that meet up... THAT is actually when you merge into the other lane. Not when there are still two solid white lines and especially when there is several feet between those two solid white lines.

Sometimes you just wonder if road rage is just street justice.
From how I see people drive and from what I've heard people say, I think a lot of people here think a solid white line means it is just a 'suggestion' to stay in the lane, or that it is just making the lane distinctions easier to see - not that it means you can't or aren't supposed to cross it to merge into the main lanes or change lanes. For example, the merge lane on 85/87 from S. Academy - I don't see anyone, not even police, wait until the end of the solid white to merge into the other lanes. On the Interstate south of Bijou those solid white lane makers around the weird curve - I see people change lanes in them less than when they were dotted but still probably daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:12 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,360,980 times
Its the simple by product of cars with huge brakes, grippy tires, and computerized controls for nearly ever function. These features have allowed below to average driver's to avoid learning from near hits and close calls because the systems always bail them out. No learning opportunity, no change in behaviour.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 AM

208 posts, read 304,621 times
I'll cross the white line when merging onto I-25 quite frequently. It's usually because the person in front of me doesn't realize that it is their responsibility to get up to speed and merge in, rather than expect someone to slow down and make room for them. So to avoid that disaster, I'll quickly speed up and merge in before they make a mess of things.

All this to say: I can't wait until roads are full of autonomous vehicles that don't have 1000 different interpretations of obvious laws.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 AM

26,161 posts, read 48,875,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
I'll cross the white line when merging onto I-25 quite frequently. It's usually because the person in front of me doesn't realize that it is their responsibility to get up to speed and merge in, rather than expect someone to slow down and make room for them. So to avoid that disaster, I'll quickly speed up and merge in before they make a mess of things.

All this to say: I can't wait until roads are full of autonomous vehicles that don't have 1000 different interpretations of obvious laws.
Driving I-25 through the city of Colorado Springs there's an exit almost every mile. There's a lot of shucking and jiving of cars entering or exiting the highway and this scary dance is usually in the right lane. So, I take the left lane and go with the flow at whatever speed it's moving. I do this to avoid the mixing / merging action in the far right lane as IMO that's where the greatest collision hazard is found. In 50 years and a million miles of driving I've seen some real doozies in that on/off ramp jitterbug.

I'll do the same out on the open highway when nearing an interchange with another interstate or major highway. When I'm taking the DIA toll road to the airport I'll move to the left lane through the I-70 interchange to avoid the chances that someone in that right lane does something dangerous. To elaborate, if I'm in the right lane at that point, and someone in the left lane is about to miss the exit, they might make a panic lane change and clip me or cut me short, and I hate when someone cuts me short.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:39 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,471,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Driving I-25 through the city of Colorado Springs there's an exit almost every mile. There's a lot of shucking and jiving of cars entering or exiting the highway and this scary dance is usually in the right lane. So, I take the left lane and go with the flow at whatever speed it's moving. I do this to avoid the mixing / merging action in the far right lane as IMO that's where the greatest collision hazard is found. In 50 years and a million miles of driving I've seen some real doozies in that on/off ramp jitterbug.

I'll do the same out on the open highway when nearing an interchange with another interstate or major highway. When I'm taking the DIA toll road to the airport I'll move to the left lane through the I-70 interchange to avoid the chances that someone in that right lane does something dangerous. To elaborate, if I'm in the right lane at that point, and someone in the left lane is about to miss the exit, they might make a panic lane change and clip me or cut me short, and I hate when someone cuts me short.
And someone will probably fault you for staying in the left lane because it is a 'passing lane'. It is pretty hard to keep everyone happy.....

Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 PM

26,161 posts, read 48,875,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
And someone will probably fault you for staying in the left lane because it is a 'passing lane'. It is pretty hard to keep everyone happy.....
In urban areas, all lanes are pretty full, especially at rush hour. On the open road I keep to the right except during major interchanges or if the right lane is beat all to hell and the left lane is smooth. Whatever the speed of the flow is, I go with it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

12 posts, read 9,399 times
What bugs me is folks way behind me in another lane blows through Red Lights, when I don't even have to stop that quickly. Many times catching up to the person at the next light, smiling, acknowledging they're defenseless driving did not get them anywhere any faster.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:44 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,873,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I tell you what bugs me. A white solid line means you stay in your lane.

Especially on the on ramp. The point where two of them that meet up... THAT is actually when you merge into the other lane. Not when there are still two solid white lines and especially when there is several feet between those two solid white lines.

Sometimes you just wonder if road rage is just street justice.
You are absolutely correct. But the engineers who designed the northbound on-ramp to 25 at Cimarron didn't appear to give that much thought, especially with the ramp traffic merging at Bijou. If you stay in your lane until the broken white lines, it's a rough merge at rush hour.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-19-2015 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 08-23-2015, 02:38 PM

73 posts, read 186,726 times
Worst Drivers Ever drive in COS. You have over cautious careful/fearful drivers on the road. It's one thing to
follow the road rules but another to be over fearful of driving which is what I determine the majority of drivers here are and
that's how accidents occur. I scratch my head when I see or here about fender benders on the side roads or I-25 which is the
most easy Highway around....slow drivers need to meet the speed limit and stay in the slow lane not in the middle lanes.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:54 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,360,980 times
Yes, that is the by-product of a meshing of a variety of driving styles that are not congruant in an environment full of distractions and rapidly changing conditions. In Boston, New York, or LA, you know what to expect form other drivers and you can plan and reacting accordingly. Here...not so much because you don't know if that Colorado plate on the car in front of you learned to drive here, there, or somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: