U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 785 times

Advertisements

I am driving from Colorado Springs, CO to Chicago, IL mid October time this year and I will be traveling with a 26' foot rental moving truck with a car attached to the back of it with a car tow dolly.....

What is the best route for me to take to avoid driving in the mountains??? .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 02:33 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,465,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBliss777 View Post
I am driving from Colorado Springs, CO to Chicago, IL mid October time this year and I will be traveling with a 26' foot rental moving truck with a car attached to the back of it with a car tow dolly.....

What is the best route for me to take to avoid driving in the mountains??? .....
There are no mountains between Colorado Springs and Chicago.

Colorado Springs to Chicago

Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 AM

5,016 posts, read 6,713,973 times
Just don't go to California on your way to Chicago and you should be fine. As KaaBoom said, there are no mountains between Colorado Springs and Chicago. Plenty of corn and wheat fields, I think.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,691,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
There are no mountains between Colorado Springs and Chicago.

Colorado Springs to Chicago
Just some rolling hills...

Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,012,835 times
With that kind of setup I'd be far more concerned with the challenges of driving through congested urban areas than mountains (of which, as noted, there are none). I'd use the opportunity to both take a more scenic and slower route and to avoid the worst of extremely crowded urban freeway driving. Don't know where you're heading in Chicago (so some crowded freeway driving may be unavoidable there), but if I had the time I'd much more enjoy something like this route instead of one that took me through Denver and Omaha.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM

4,766 posts, read 7,555,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
With that kind of setup I'd be far more concerned with the challenges of driving through congested urban areas than mountains (of which, as noted, there are none). I'd use the opportunity to both take a more scenic and slower route and to avoid the worst of extremely crowded urban freeway driving. Don't know where you're heading in Chicago (so some crowded freeway driving may be unavoidable there), but if I had the time I'd much more enjoy something like this route instead of one that took me through Denver and Omaha.
Nearly all non-Interstate highways, and twists and turns thru small towns, in a rental towing a car ? Really ?

Better to plan what time of day to hit the larger cities on the Interstates, and map out their Interstate bypass/loop routes around them. There are only 3 maybe 4 large cities on the I-80 route (Denver, Omaha, Des Moines, Davenport)

Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 PM

420 posts, read 1,012,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Nearly all non-Interstate highways, and twists and turns thru small towns, in a rental towing a car ? Really ?
I've driven both routes.

And yes, really.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 AM

12 posts, read 11,356 times
I'd suggest taking US24 from COS to Limon to I70 East to St Louis and hit I55(?) to Chicago. The biggest mountain will be the Mississippi River bridge in STL.... I did the drive from here in a big Penske truck with a car from east on I70 and in Limon took US24 to COS, it wasn't at all a bad to drive in the Penske moving truck - even in the two lane because there wasn't a lot of traffic. The biggest "cities" are Kansas City and St Louis which really aren't bad even in 5pm... Chicago may not be so much fun.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Typo, wast to east

Old 08-28-2015, 06:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBliss777 View Post

My sincere condolences. The path with the least regret would be to drive that moving truck back to the rental locations. If you do decide to go, at least Chicago is one of the better options within the Midwest even though the weather is dreadful and the cost of living is insane.

Given that you didn't know there were no mountains in between these two locations, it sounds you really haven't done enough research. Doing this with a lack of research could be creating the worst mistake in your life...

Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,691,590 times
I've taken a 31' coach with a 20' boat along some two lane highways. It isn't a lot of fun being a rolling road block through the country, but you do get a more personal view of the areas around you than you will on an interstate. I do doubt there are any twisting and turning roads with dangerous drops off on such a route. Similarly, driving such a set up on the interstate through urban congestion is no picnic either and the urban environment means you don't always run into understanding people willing to let you move around in lanes very easily, plus you get to deal with the push/pull of semi's flying by you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or