Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,882,837 times

Advertisements

Very interesting... I know the man (professionally not personally) but he's known as a person that gets things done. Do we have another Donald Trump in our midst? He is vested in DT and has been buying up properties for years. Comments?

Perry Sanders Archives | The Colorado Springs Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,508,707 times
I'm having a hard time visualizing a 100 story building downtown - it sure would stick out! There aren't many 100 story or higher buildings in the whole world - only 17, and another 19 under construction - none of which are in construction in the United States. Six were planned in the U.S. in the past decade and all were canceled - and none of those were in a city as small as Colorado Springs - they were in Chicago, New York City, San Francisco, and Atlanta. The only existing ones so tall in the U.S. are in Chicago and New York City - and there are only a total of 4 of those. And what, pray tell, would we put in that 100 story building? It would likely sit largely empty even if many other business downtown left their current locations and moved into it (which we wouldn't want anyway). The tallest building in Denver is 56 stories - no where near 100 stories. So my comment in a nutshell is I think the idea is frankly ludicrous.

Last edited by otowi; 10-01-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Why go 100 stories vertical when you have the space to go horizontal ?

Seems like it would be much cheaper and one of the reasons you don't see such tall buildings built in places like Denver or Dallas.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
Sounds awesome, but I just don't see it happening. Not enough demand for a monstrosity like that. With real estate prices soaring in Denver it'd be more viable up here, but even that's a huge and unlikely stretch.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,882,837 times
Agree. Like most, when I'd heard about it this week I assumed it was a total pipe dream. Then he completed his deal on the Antlers Hilton which was rumored.

Knowing somewhat how this gentleman operates, I think 100 stories is a real stretch. But I do believe he has the money, backing and support to make something happen.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:35 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times
IMO talk of a hundred stories is click bait, but I hope he does something neat with the downtown and I'm glad he saved that glorious old Mining Exchange building. I see he's buying the Antlers Hilton which would be cool if he can turn that into a downtown destination, plus not have to slug it out competing against his Mining Exchange hotel on room prices. I hope his health holds and plans for downtown bear fruit.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 PM

208 posts, read 305,391 times
Something like that has the potential to totally change this city if it were actually built. Sure, it could sit empty. But something of that magnitude, in this region could be a major draw to large businesses. If it were built, and successfully leased (both are stretches, I'll admit), I imagine you'd see a boom of construction downtown with a few more skyscrapers (20-30 stories) built shortly after.

But really, I'd be more willing to bet he is proposing extreme, so when he scales it down to appease people who complain about skyscrapers in a large and growing city, he will be able to get away with 30-50 stories without as many issues. Either way, I'll be happy.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM

274 posts, read 339,156 times
Bigger buildings = attracting more businesses = population explosion = higher cost of living = NO THANKS = :-P

Old 10-01-2015, 08:20 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
He does have plans to make the Antlers more than it is now. Plans for closing Judge Baldwins, west facing views from the lobby, and with the departure of the old 168 steam locomotive, a chance to expand out into the Antlers Park area with possibly a pool and more.

There are already some multi-story housing developments being built in the downtown area and I do't think the Lowell neighborhood has sold out yet.

I can't see 100 stories being viable. Most likely it will be something significantly less, if he moves forward with it. Then again, maybe he will develop a plan in collaboration with Anschutz to make COS even more of a tourist destination than it is. Great if we want buckets of entry level and low level labor jobs. COS started as a playground and rehab center for the monied elite. It seems like we are returning to our roots with a healthy does of governemnt cheese as a side,

Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
100 stories? This isn't Dubai, it's Colorado Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs