U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM

87 posts, read 51,355 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point me to any jobs in Colorado Springs that are relatively easy to get from out of state? Alternately, has anyone had success with any staffing agencies? Which ones? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,689 times
I think it may be difficult to get a job offer or even serious consideration from out of state. What kind of work are you looking for? I bet once you are here you could get a retail job pretty easily, especially as companies are staffing up for the holiday season.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Thanks beezle1. I know I can get something when I get there. I was hoping to land something before arriving so that I could combine that income with my current income and qualify for one of the upscale apartment complexes in an upper middle-class neighborhood.

I like living in upscale areas but it seems that my graduate student (sans job) budget of $825/mo for a 1-br, 1-ba in Colorado Springs will put me in undesirable areas according to what I've read on the forum. I'm not willing to live in low class (or economically challenged for the politically correct) neighborhoods, even temporarily.

Colorado Springs seems to have only two types of neighborhoods when it comes to apartment complexes: very expensive, upscale areas or super cheap, run down areas with quality of life issues. I've not read anything about regular, middle class areas that were well-kept, quiet, affordable and have no quality of life issues worth mentioning.

So, I guess I won't be moving to Colorado Springs and will have to put a check mark in the unaffordable (for me) column. Where I'm from, $825/mo for a one bedroom apartment is a lot and gets a person a unit in a really nice complex in a very nice neighborhood.

I'm willing to pay more to be where I want to be, but without a job in hand before arriving, $825 is it. Unfortunately, that's not going to get me even close to what I want in Colorado Springs, it looks like.

So, off I go to look at some other cities in the West that are more affordable and that will have jobs waiting when I'm done with my M.S. in Cybersecurity.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 PM

574 posts, read 624,561 times
I don't think anything under $825/month will put you in a slummy apartment in a lousy neighborhood. I'm a homeowner myself and have never done any apartment shopping here, but some years ago a friend of mine lived at Wildridge and I thought it was fine as such things go. From their web site they're well within your price range.

Wildridge in Colorado Springs, CO - Apartment For Rent

Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I don't think anything under $825/month will put you in a slummy apartment in a lousy neighborhood. I'm a homeowner myself and have never done any apartment shopping here, but some years ago a friend of mine lived at Wildridge and I thought it was fine as such things go. From their web site they're well within your price range.

Wildridge in Colorado Springs, CO - Apartment For Rent
Thanks! I'll give them a look. They didn't show up in any of the online apartment searches I did. At least, I don't remember the name or seeing the photos.

ETA: I looked at the apartments. They're not my cup of tea. Thank you, though.

Last edited by codeninja; 10-22-2015 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: New information

Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 PM

208 posts, read 216,218 times
Have you reached out to the defense contractors in town? That degree should land you a few interviews, with them covering your travel expenses.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
Have you reached out to the defense contractors in town? That degree should land you a few interviews, with them covering your travel expenses.
I don't have the degree yet, I just started.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,688,060 times
There are lots of non-slummy apartments just barely in that price range, but they're not going to be new/updated or have lots of amenities.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,673,262 times
For someone pursuing a cybersecurity degree, I'm surprised your online apartments search is missing possible options. Since most of our decent colleges are in the north central area, I'll post up some options; Camelback, Oasis, Advenir @ Spring Canyon, Grand Centennial, Center Pointe, The Lodges of Cos. These all offer units in the $800-900 a month range that are newer in construction and amenities.

In these same geographic areas, there are also sub $800 units as well, but they aren't going to come with workout facilities, pools, modern floor plans, or necessarily updated interiors. The combined effects of lifestyle, education, location and recreation may combine to eliminate most of Colorado from your list, but I also suspect you may run into similar issues in any other growing areas, whether they are in the west of not.

For Agencies, there are numerous ones out here with differing specialties such as finance, labor, manufacturing, government, etc. I've heard good things about Apple One and Spherion, but when I was looking recently, they never bothered to bring me in for an interview. Aerotek tends to have a more technical focus these days, and set me up with several interviews as well as asking me to meet with a couple of their key account execs. I think the remote hiring will present a challenge regardless of who you use.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There are lots of non-slummy apartments just barely in that price range, but they're not going to be new/updated or have lots of amenities.
That's the problem. I like all that and I want what I want. And at my age, I'm not willing settle for less. I've paid those dues in spades and those days are over. I'll move to another city or region, first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs