U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 PM

35 posts, read 19,556 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and I have to say a deal breaker on staying is the flies. I grew up in barns with horses, lived in Flrorida the bug capital of the country and lived in the woods, and I've never had flies IN MY HOUSE all the time. When I ask about it, just about everyone blows me off. It's serious to me. I have no problem with flies outside and a few that get in, but GEEZE, I vacuum up at least 10 from each window sill every day, and I havent even opened the windows. I'm in Black Forest right now. So please please can you residents who have been here a long time tell me if its like this is the whole state??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
That's not usual. I rarely get flies in my house. I live in the Colorado Springs area. Maybe there is something wrong with your house - i.e. some sort of gap that they're getting in through, something that's attracting them.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 PM

20,324 posts, read 37,832,470 times
We've had a lot of flies this year for some reason, first time this has happened in our 10 years here.
Should be over soon with freezing weather.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 PM

REally otowi? Are you in a single family house? I've just never seen anything like it. It's discusting to me. They get in somehow and head to the windows to die. Curious, how old is your house? The one we bought is 20 and I'm the first to say its not been cared for for a long time. We've recaulked all the window and put screen on every opening outside we can find and still they get in. I've seen them flying inside the light fixtures outside. I was told if I thought flies was bad wait til Spring til moth season starts. We've gone to look at homes for sale purposely to see if there are dead flies in those homes. Well some of course get cleaned up before showing, but some others do have flies by the windows, dead and alive. If I have to move from Black forest to get away from this, so be it, but I just want to know if its ALL of Colorado, because so far from what I'm told, it sure sounds like it.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:49 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,677,913 times
Nahh, its just Black Forest. Wait until spring when the Miller moths arrive.

Seriously though, we had a much wetter spring and cooler summer so it has impacted insect populations differently this year than it has for many, many years past. You have to go back to '01, '87, '56, and '35 to find years similar in total precipitation like what we've had last year.

In town, I've noticed much higher numbers of grasshoppers and much fewer numbers of Yellowjackets. I can't say I've seen much problem with common houseflies, but the small fruit flies (gnats) have been worse than usual. We've used several raps over the course of hte year so far and still have them out, unlike years past when it is concentrated to summer time.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 PM

8,230 posts, read 12,832,427 times
I concur with the others - this is definitely not normal. Maybe you need to get a window/door expert out there to check everything and find any gaps?

I did recently notice that one window in my house kept getting a single fly in between the window and the screen every once and while, but then I realized I hadn't locked the window so there must have been a tiny gap they were getting in through which was imperceptible to me. Didn't get past the screen though and since I locked it, there's been no more. So I'm wondering if there's something like this in your house, where a window isn't/can't seal properly.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:45 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallmydogs View Post
REally otowi? Are you in a single family house? I've just never seen anything like it. It's discusting to me. They get in somehow and head to the windows to die. Curious, how old is your house? The one we bought is 20 and I'm the first to say its not been cared for for a long time. We've recaulked all the window and put screen on every opening outside we can find and still they get in. I've seen them flying inside the light fixtures outside. I was told if I thought flies was bad wait til Spring til moth season starts. We've gone to look at homes for sale purposely to see if there are dead flies in those homes. Well some of course get cleaned up before showing, but some others do have flies by the windows, dead and alive. If I have to move from Black forest to get away from this, so be it, but I just want to know if its ALL of Colorado, because so far from what I'm told, it sure sounds like it.
Yes, I have a single family home built in the 50s. I do very occasionally get a bug in the house - spider, moth, grasshopper even, and once in awhile a fly, but not a lot of them nor regularly. There may be something to do the fact that we've had more rain this year than most that could possibly contribute to seeing more bugs - but even so your problem sounds pretty unique - none of my window sills have dead flies on them at the moment and I haven't cleaned most of them in months (I know, I know).

Maybe you need new windows?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:33 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,183 times
I live in Black Forest (with horses) and I can say the flies at my house were bad this year for some reason. I have had construction going on in my house so workers going in and out, so I assumed the flies got in while that was going on. In years past, its not been like this. I think maybe the wet year we had allowed more flies to hatch out or something.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:02 AM

Beezle, its not the workers. Do you find dead flies on your window sills every day?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 AM

2,672 posts, read 1,677,913 times
Flies need accumulations of decaying matter to proprogate. The floor in a forest provides such an environment. Cool weather also extends their life cycle comapred to hotter weather. Making sure the ground area around your home is clear is a great first step. Along sides of the home, under stairs and decks and in window wells. Then examine all possible entry points into the home. Obviously windows and screens, but also mechnical and hvac entry points as well as ventalation inlet/outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs