U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:59 PM

90 posts, read 100,458 times

Advertisements

We just built a house in Monument as well. My husband is a rocket engineer and I am a nurse. We love the vibe of COS. My husband often can work from home.

I have to agree that virtual office seem to be very commonplace now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,398,308 times
Maybe it is the work at home people that are moving in?!? I can definitely see how the Springs would be attractive for a work at home person because it's close to DIA, close to the mountains, and affordable. If you worked from home and paid denver prices, I would call you plain silly.

Like THCP said, tech companies were big earlier, until they all packed up and left. Now there is some, but not that much. The springs essentially feels like the military bases are the economy, then there are services that provide to those who work for the military and employ others. A hospital is essentially a service to those who live in the area, unless it's a huge one.

That's why I keep wondering, how can the Springs be expected to grow to close to 1 million in about 30/40 years like it's projected to? That many work from home people?

Also, the suburbs are really starting to look really, really cookie cutter. The whole swath of the city east of powers is all the same. It's all 180-300K single family homes. No cheaper homes, not many nicer homes (well, up north they go to 300-450K in Codera and those places), no commercial, not much industrial...

Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 AM

269 posts, read 205,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Maybe it is the work at home people that are moving in?!? I can definitely see how the Springs would be attractive for a work at home person because it's close to DIA, close to the mountains, and affordable. If you worked from home and paid denver prices, I would call you plain silly.

Like THCP said, tech companies were big earlier, until they all packed up and left. Now there is some, but not that much. The springs essentially feels like the military bases are the economy, then there are services that provide to those who work for the military and employ others. A hospital is essentially a service to those who live in the area, unless it's a huge one.

That's why I keep wondering, how can the Springs be expected to grow to close to 1 million in about 30/40 years like it's projected to? That many work from home people?

Also, the suburbs are really starting to look really, really cookie cutter. The whole swath of the city east of powers is all the same. It's all 180-300K single family homes. No cheaper homes, not many nicer homes (well, up north they go to 300-450K in Codera and those places), no commercial, not much industrial...
And even in Wolf Ranch etc... where you pay a much higher price (for the same house in the southern parts of the city) you still have the enjoyment of your neighbor being 5 feet from you next door!!

Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,671,734 times
I don't think you could point to any one or even several major gains that are driving the increase in population. I think you have to look across a broad swath of industries, services, and government entities to see the increase. If one business grows 2-4% it won't make the news. But if 30 businesses across 15 industries all grow 1% annually, then it brings in 4500 jobs a year. That's what I was trying to point out when I said the Springs is not a small town, even though it kind of feels like one.

So yes, this is a very military centric town and they are the largest single industry employers. But there are a lot of industries and business that are here in support of the military, because of the military infrastructure (such as communications), or because we have a highly educated work force. Obviously we need to do more improvements in start up and incubator work, but there is still a lot going on in Cos.

Major employers tend to create a lot of secondary, tertiary, and service business that drives a large amount of small business. There is still a fair amount of this going on in the Springs. We also have a large amount of tourism and recreation going on year round as well. The AFA and USOC tend to pull in visitors in all the time.

Since I'm in manufacturing, I can easily point out that there are nearly 400 different companies in El Paso County that are in the business of making things. This is a large range of items from computer chips to metal products, wood products, clothing, brewing, medical devices, or food stuff and this doe snot include restaurants. Again, none of these are large, most employ 20-50 persons, but a small single digit increase in business means they can add job sin the 100s per year.

So my previous list of the top employers in the county tended to be almost all government and education. Here is the top 20 list of largest private employers. This touches on some of the healthcare providers as well as manufacturing, insurance, finance, and entertainment. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but can be used to give you an idea of how diverse the city's base of employment is. Do I wish these were a bigger portion that were on levels comparable to the military, sure. But its taken many decades to get to this point so there is no reason to think it is going to take several more decades to further diversify.

Top 20 Private employers

Lockheed MartinCorporation
ProgressiveInsurance Company
Security ServiceFederal Credit Union
United ServicesAutomobile Association
The Broadmoor Hotel
Atmel Corporation
Verizon Business
Northrop Grumman
Hewlett PackardStorage
CompassionInternational
T. Rowe PriceAssociates, Inc.
Comcast Cable
DePuy SynthesCompanies
Wells Fargo Financial
Time Warner Cable
Colorado SpringsHealth Partners
Alorica Customer
Oracle America, Inc.
Serco Information Technology
Colorado College
CenturyLink Cable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or