Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:54 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,115,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Plus, I like the random shootings at Planned Parenthood. Once again, the Springs has outdone itself. I also enjoyed the nut jobs who would ask which part of town I lived in, and when I answered "Manitou," they'd warn me how the streets of Manitou would soon be running with blood (thanks for the helpful tip, buddy). My unpleasant experience aside, just don't talk politics or god to someone unless you feel pretty certain of a positive response. Also, refrain from slapping any amusing bumper stickers on your car. You'd be amazed at the number of people in Colorado Springs who have absolutely no sense of humor. There's many here who agree with allprolab about how mild mannered the Fundie set is, but I disagree. As being both a practicing Buddhist and a single woman living alone in Manitou, I sometimes felt that half the town had decided I was a witch or something even worse. Although I must say that when I had some such unpleasant encounter, I could shut them up by pulling out my broom and flying off.
How do you like Manitou? It intrigues me, but I don't know if it is primarily a small toursit destination or if it would be a great place for a young family. The vibe there seems like something we would enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,356,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Plus, I like the random shootings at Planned Parenthood. Once again, the Springs has outdone itself. I also enjoyed the nut jobs who would ask which part of town I lived in, and when I answered "Manitou," they'd warn me how the streets of Manitou would soon be running with blood (thanks for the helpful tip, buddy). My unpleasant experience aside, just don't talk politics or god to someone unless you feel pretty certain of a positive response. Also, refrain from slapping any amusing bumper stickers on your car. You'd be amazed at the number of people in Colorado Springs who have absolutely no sense of humor. There's many here who agree with allprolab about how mild mannered the Fundie set is, but I disagree. As being both a practicing Buddhist and a single woman living alone in Manitou, I sometimes felt that half the town had decided I was a witch or something even worse. Although I must say that when I had some such unpleasant encounter, I could shut them up by pulling out my broom and flying off.

Now you sound like a Denverite. I don't suppose you heard that the shooter was from Hartsel, had only lived in the state a short time and came here from the Carolinas. Hardly a Springs local. No one here knows yet if his fundie approach had anything to do with all the evangelical organizations here or not, but even they condemned the attack. I will agree that there are some here with no sense of humor at all, but I've encountered those types nearly everywhere I've ever been to as well, so we certainly don't have a monopoly on that mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
How do you like Manitou? It intrigues me, but I don't know if it is primarily a small toursit destination or if it would be a great place for a young family. The vibe there seems like something we would enjoy.

Colorado Rambler doesn't live there any longer. She has bailed for the four corners area, but I do not know how long ago that may have been. However, Manitou is more than just a tourist stop. They hills around it are covered with houses that are occupied year round. They have a fairly decent school system. They have a small but eclectic food scene. They have a wide range of housing from Victorian to new, small to huge. Just keep in mind that Manitou is much larger than the downtown tourist strip. It extends all the way down to the west side of COS and half way up the side of Pikes Peak via Crystal Park. Like most places in Colorado, it obviously is not for everyone, but some love it there. Same could be said of any place really. Just do your research.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 AM

^^
Thanks.

The irony regarding the shooting is that my wife and I are essentially considering two places: Colorado Springs and Asheville, NC. The shooter was from Black Mountain, NC, which is about twenty minutes east of Asheville. I'm not sure what to make of our selections, lol. That was obviously a joke -- I think that person was just deranged.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:51 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,924,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
^^
Thanks.

The irony regarding the shooting is that my wife and I are essentially considering two places: Colorado Springs and Asheville, NC. The shooter was from Black Mountain, NC, which is about twenty minutes east of Asheville. I'm not sure what to make of our selections, lol. That was obviously a joke -- I think that person was just deranged.
The springs is actually a fairly safe mdisize city with a low crime rate. There is no area that can be considered truly dangerous unless you are involved with criminal elements already.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 PM

I drove through The Springs today (I was in Denver for a couple days anyway) and was very impressed. I really liked OCC and the Old North End. OCC has a huge number of historic houses, and access to the mountains and hiking/biking is incredible. I also really liked Manitou Springs, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Its downtown is obviously geared for a good amount of tourism, and it is literally on the mountain. It sort of reminded me of Ruidosa a bit. If that is way off, forgive me, I only spent about an hour there.

This definitely makes our decision difficult. We had been leaning toward Asheville, and we may still go that way. CS was definitely all positives today, though. This would have sounded crazy to me before I actually saw it for myself, but I think the scenery from OCC to Manitou Springs is prettier than the scenery in Boulder. Even the entire panorama along 25 as one drives into town is postcard-worthy.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 PM

753 posts, read 1,099,773 times
When I was planning my move to COS, I looked at a couple houses in Manitou Springs, but on consideration I decided it was too tourist-oriented and not enough resident-oriented. In particular, there isn't a supermarket in town.... the closest one is the Safeway in OCC. I think OCC is a fine alternative to Manitou; it's very walkable, has a fun "downtown" area with many restaurants and funky little shops, but it's also got more services. It's also less at risk for flooding and wildfires.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:15 AM

6,809 posts, read 10,464,895 times
I also would not want to live in most of Manitou - nothing against Manitou - it is quaint. But the traffic through town in summer and on event days would annoy me if I had to go through it all the time to go to/from home. And there are plenty of people around potentially out your front door, depending on your address who don't live there a lot of the time, which would also bother me because sometimes people who don't live there don't take care of a place the same way a local would. I've hiked the Manitou area trails a lot and there is a lot of non-resident foot and vehicle traffic even off the main strip. And now that the Incline is legal, that traffic is higher year round. My brother and his wife lived there years ago and some of the side streets are pretty awkward to get up and down in winter. And although there's been a lot of mitigation, floods will continue to be a concern there. I think if I were a young college student looking for adventure I might find it fun to stay there for a few years, and I certainly enjoy going there for an afternoon on the town. My mother had a friend who moved to a main street apartment there after high school. That was considered incredibly improper back then - very hippy of her.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,872,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think COS is very much 'live and let live' in its culture. Although this isn't a mecca for liberals or vegetarians or atheists, all are found here and welcome here.
Agree. Moved here 17 years ago from Denver. I've lived all over town during my time here.

I'm also in a business where I meet new people almost everyday. Not once have a ever been proselytized to (except by the occasional JW). Not even LDS missionaries have knocked on my door (to my knowledge).

Our reputation precedes us. We are more of a libertarian community than conservative. The reputation comes from the megachurches that located here 20 years ago when the city was trying to diversify the economy. Unfortunately, that is still wishful thinking (diversification of the economy). We do have an independent streak and love the second amendment. Much of that is due to the military influence, which I actually find welcoming. While Denver votes 80/20 for the liberal candidate, we are usually more moderate on the conservative side, 60/40.

Should you choose to move here, I'm certain you will get along just fine, especially the west side and Manitou.

Best wishes and consider yourselves welcome here!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,356,749 times
I'd love to live in Manitou proper, but what I need for space and buildings doesn't mix well with what can be found right in town. If I was willing to move into the newer areas, I might find it, but again, it isn't what I want. Downtown Manitou is very walkable and its closeness to the mountains means it has excellent hiking near by.

OCC and Manitou do tend to have older homes than ONEN. The oldest homes in both of these areas are 1870-1890 whereas ONEN homes tend to be 1890-1920s. That creates to subtle differences in architecture that may matter to some. It also creates the need to fairly detailed inspections before purchase as ONEN and Manitou tended to be more affluent communities in their day and had more substantial original construction and updates over the last century whereas OCC was more of a working class neighborhood and had more homeowner and laymen changes performed to them.

Another item to consider is the while the OCC downtown area is a historic district, many of its residences are not. Conversely, nearly all of the ONEN and the Weber-Wahsatch residences areas are designated historic districts. Not all, but most. This could have in influence on buying decisions as well since it may be a concern of what types of exterior changes and out buildings you can have available.

While OCC is close to Bear Creek, Red Rocks, and Garden of the Gods areas as well as the foothills, these are very popular areas that tend to get somewhat busy. ONEN may be a bit further from the foothills trails but does have Monument Valley Park, Bonfort Park and shopping center which is next to Shooks Run trail and near the Rock Island trail. In the near future it will have the Legacy Loop trailas well as a new retail center going into the old Lincoln School building on north Cascade and there are rumors of an effort for a street car network that will run from downtown, through ONEN, to UCCS.

Not sure if you anticipate being here long enough to need to make school decisions or not, but that may be a factor if you don't want to move later. Manitou schools are decent. I know several CoS westsiders who permit into them. By contrast, D11 schools on the westside are loosing population. Schools around the ONEN area tend to be fairly highly rated.

Thanks for the compliments on the area. Many of us here feel that way about where we live and it is nice to hear that from a visitor. Good luck in your search and decision process!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:00 PM

89 posts, read 142,987 times
We live in CS and proudly display this bumper sticker (no, not a Subaru, a minivan!).

http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Sticker.../dp/B009DRURYA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs