Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 AM

184 posts, read 440,125 times

Advertisements

Asheville is absolutely beautiful and has an eclectic vibe. We actually considered that area for retirement. But it seemed too expensive and too many people moving in that direction. Ultimately it came down to the weather. Humid, buggy summers aren't my thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM

629 posts, read 619,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post
We live in CS and proudly display this bumper sticker (no, not a Subaru, a minivan!).

http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Sticker.../dp/B009DRURYA

I'm curious why you feel the need to post this. Are you trying to be antagonizing...?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 AM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I'm curious why you feel the need to post this. Are you trying to be antagonizing...?
I thought it was very relevant, considering my question in the first post dealt with how well a liberal atheist might fit in in the Springs.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:41 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I thought it was very relevant, considering my question in the first post dealt with how well a liberal atheist might fit in in the Springs.
I would hope a liberal athiest (especially a vegetarian) would be above putting such a bumper sticker on their car but if they were not then I'd gently suggest they'd probably be better off avoiding Colorado Springs and living in some bastion of political-correctness such as Boulder, San Francisco, or elsewhere where they won't be confronted with or expected to deal civilly with people who have differing opinions to theirs. I've seen plenty of awesome bumper stickers that convey the same or similar concept with actual humor that does not insult the intelligence or question the faith of the viewer. In fact, as a Christian and someone who does not own a gun, I often find myself thinking the same concept. If I actually said it out loud I'd offend pretty much every one of my spouse's immediate family (who all live in Denver by the way). If I put it on my car I'd be as bad or worse than the obnoxious, close-minded people who can get on my nerves if I let them. One way to not let them get on my nerves is to live either downtown COS or pretty much anywhere west of I25 which consist mostly of politically "mixed" older neighborhoods that actually send Demorats to the state legislature (Pete Lee, Michael Merrifield, etc). Living downtown, on the westside, or southwest side, you wouldn't hardly notice the town is "conservative" unless you really went looking for it (such as sporting non-humorous bumper stickers insulting conservatives, however "true" they may be). Just a suggestion.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:30 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
People put all kinds of things on their bumpers that others will find offensive. Some get offended at just a Bernie 2016 or Trump 2016 campaign sticker. I see a variety of stickers all over the city of Colorado Springs. To each his own. Personally, I don't care to advertise my views on a lot of things on my bumper as it seems just to be likely to cause more harm than good, but others can do what they like.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
I would hope a liberal athiest (especially a vegetarian) would be above putting such a bumper sticker on their car but if they were not then I'd gently suggest they'd probably be better off avoiding Colorado Springs and living in some bastion of political-correctness such as Boulder, San Francisco, or elsewhere where they won't be confronted with or expected to deal civilly with people who have differing opinions to theirs. I've seen plenty of awesome bumper stickers that convey the same or similar concept with actual humor that does not insult the intelligence or question the faith of the viewer. In fact, as a Christian and someone who does not own a gun, I often find myself thinking the same concept. If I actually said it out loud I'd offend pretty much every one of my spouse's immediate family (who all live in Denver by the way). If I put it on my car I'd be as bad or worse than the obnoxious, close-minded people who can get on my nerves if I let them. One way to not let them get on my nerves is to live either downtown COS or pretty much anywhere west of I25 which consist mostly of politically "mixed" older neighborhoods that actually send Demorats to the state legislature (Pete Lee, Michael Merrifield, etc). Living downtown, on the westside, or southwest side, you wouldn't hardly notice the town is "conservative" unless you really went looking for it (such as sporting non-humorous bumper stickers insulting conservatives, however "true" they may be). Just a suggestion.
Really? I had to reread all that to laugh again. Don't put a bumper sticker on your car because it might offend someone? Or it's not the way YOU would handle? Well so what? This religious persecution is getting way way way out of hand. The bumper sticker at question isn't even that offensive, unless you don't get sarcasm. And I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with most. Sarcasm=offensive to the, you know, the ones above this bumper sticker.

And back to the original question. Does any christian actually believe their jesus is gonna support the ways christians are today. You do? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
People put all kinds of things on their bumpers that others will find offensive. Some get offended at just a Bernie 2016 or Trump 2016 campaign sticker. I see a variety of stickers all over the city of Colorado Springs. To each his own. Personally, I don't care to advertise my views on a lot of things on my bumper as it seems just to be likely to cause more harm than good, but others can do what they like.
I thought of this one day for a new sticker...

THIS STICKER RESPRESENTS SOMETHING I LIKE AND SECRETLY HOPE YOU DON'T BUT ACT LIKE I'M BEING CIVIL ABOUT IT

Old 12-14-2015, 08:04 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,690 times
When I lived in the central middle class Springs, I would get a knock on the door from Mormons, Latter Day, Pentecostals, and various other religious providers. I always welcomed them and commended their efforts, but added I was devout Catholic and my ancestors also tried to convert...just using different, more persuasive methods of physical torture during the Conquest and Inquisition.
Typical Atheism, the OP thinks people actually give two figs about their beliefs, lifestyle or their opinion....fun neighbors where they end up? How will they deal with the over abundance of christmas decorations on their neighbors lawn? What about when Billy-Bob and Zarlene hang the weekends trophy deer kill from the rafters of their open garage door?
Hope the new neighbors are cool with loud country music and cage-free kids invading their bubble?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Typical Atheism, the OP thinks people actually give two figs about their beliefs, lifestyle or their opinion
So in the same post in which you say you had multiple people knocking on your door to discuss religion, you also say that other people don't give two figs about atheists not believing in god. Those two ideas don't jive, and I hardly believe that no Christians care about atheists' lack of belief. Either way, I didn't actually say that people would care -- I asked if atheism would be a big deal for me in CoS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
....fun neighbors where they end up? How will they deal with the over abundance of christmas decorations on their neighbors lawn? What about when Billy-Bob and Zarlene hang the weekends trophy deer kill from the rafters of their open garage door?
Hope the new neighbors are cool with loud country music and cage-free kids invading their bubble?
You're making a lot of assumptions that suggest to me that you may only know liberals, vegetarians and atheists from a depiction on Fox News. While I am an atheist, I decorate elaborately for Christmas -- Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year. I am a country music fan -- country music is my favorite type of music, in fact (although I listen to Texas country rather than pop Nashville country). I have no idea what a "cage-free" kid is or what bubble I'm living in, but you seem to have made some incorrect deductions about my way of life. To give you an idea of where I currently live, my Texas state representative has been picked as the most conservative legislator in the entire Texas Assembly the last few years -- my neighbors have voted in the most conservative representative in Texas! Yet, somehow I get along just fine. As for the deer kill, that's an unfortunate fact about the society we live in, but I think hunting is far preferable to buying meat from the grocery store. I would much rather someone go kill Bambi than go buy a chuck roast. Most of my family hunts, and I used to be a hunter.

What you are doing is akin to me saying that a person who is a conservative, meat-eating Christian must be a redneck who drives a jacked up truck, home schools their kids to prevent them from hearing about evolution, marches in Westboro Baptist protests while planning a Planned Parenthood attack and trophy hunts for endangered species in Africa. None of those things are implied by conservatism, meat eating or Christianity, but are rather traits of a group of outliers in each category.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 12-14-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Where did I say I wanted such a bumper sticker or planned on getting such a bumper sticker? Your entire point seems to be invalidated, however, by the fact that an actual resident of CoS said he or she has such a bumper sticker and gets along just fine. You are saying that someone in CoS shouldn't put such a bumper sticker on his or her car because CoS is the sort of place where people are...expected to deal civilly with people who have differing opinions to theirs. In other words, someone shouldn't express a differing opinion in CoS because CoS is the type of place where people deal civilly with people who have differing opinions? That is as clear as mud to me.

As a side note, there is great irony in Christians complaining about atheists "attacking their faith" when just about every church has a missions budget and believes evangelism is important. If you have a goal of converting as many people to Christianity as possible -- which the great commission seems to urge you to do -- it seems odd to cry foul when atheists return some of the same.

Last point: I think you are misusing the phrase "political correctness." PC only refers to speech and actions that relate to groups that have historically been victims of discrimination, such as people of color, homosexuals, women, etc. This bumper sticker, regardless of one's opinions on it, has nothing to do with political correctness. I realize that Donald Trump has essentially made an entire political career out of becoming an anti-liberal by being as politically incorrect as possible, but "politically correct" and "liberal" are not synonymous. Saying something the liberals don't like is not the same as saying something politically incorrect, even if it is true that liberals don't like politically incorrect speech. I suppose I'm just tired of "politically incorrect" being used to mean anything liberals don't like, which is simply not what the phrase means.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 12-14-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs