U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM

4,284 posts, read 3,966,935 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking this over for a very long time, but I wasn't sure which road to take. This morning, it hit me hard - the road I need to take is the one that leads back home. My mind is made up at last, and I know I've made the right decision. I'm getting the hell out of Dodge and coming back home to Colorado Springs. I have loved living in the Four Corners, but I just turned 64, my truck has broken down for the second time this year, and I have a serious medical issue that my local doctor tells me I can't get treatment for in this isolated little part of the world. The Doc sugggested ABQ or Denver. Nope, I ain't going to either one of those cities. ABQ is a good city to drive past on the Interstate and every time I check out the Denver forum, that city seems to have become ever more crowded and ever more expensive. No thanks. I can drive up to University Hospital from the Springs once I figure out a way to replace my truck.

So, wow! Now that I've decided, I wish I could leave tonight, and I probably would have - back when I was 20. Fortunately, the years have made me a little bit wiser. I'm going to have to figure out how to get enough money together to cover the expense of moving and getting into a new home in Colorado Springs. And I'm going to have to start doing some long distance searching for a 2 bedroom home or apartment for about $900.00/month. I'm really hoping I can find something in Manitou Springs. Back in the day I was able to rent a little two bedroom house in Manitou for $500/month. I have a feeling rentals there may have passed the $500 point quite a while back. When I look at pictures of Manitou now, it looks like its starting to get gentrified. Has it? I haven't been back for 8 years, so I'm sure I'm in for a little bit of culture shock when I hit Woodland Park driving east on Highway 24 to Manitou Springs. Did they ever get around to adding an extra lane or two to that stretch of the highway? Do witches still live in Manitou? I always loved the witch thing. And I even saved my old broom! Does Manitou still have lots of winding little dirt roads with those old summer homes perched on the slopes above Manitou Ave? Or is everything paved and tame now?

If I can't do Manitou, my other choices would be the West Side (Old Colorado City) or else the area where Ivywild, lower Skyway and the edge of the Broadmoor area all kind of come together around Cheyenne Blvd/Rd right before everything turns into N. Cheyenne Canyon Rd. Back when I left the Springs, Old Colorado City felt like it might be starting to go dowwnhill. Back in the day, it was a fairly safe, reasonably priced part of town. Is this still true? And finally, is the band Martini Shot still doing gigs at Southside Johnny's?

Right now my ETA is hopefully by September. August would be better yet - it's just a matter of pullling together the cash for the move and finding a good place to live. Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated, my once and future friends and neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 PM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
Welcome (almost) back!

Not living in Manitou, I don't think of Manitou as being gentrified. Yes, there has been some improvements to buildings, etc, but the charm that I remember from Manitou for the last 15 years or so hasn't diminished. The only thing I get really annoyed by is that you have to pay to park there, but I'm not mad at the city of Manitou for that- I'm mad at the hordes of Incline users who have invaded Manitou, pushing out the parking for the locals and the shoppers (I love Salus!), and encouraging the city to have people pay for parking. Happily the first fifteen minutes are free and that's plenty of time for me to do my little bit of shopping.

OCC is the same as it always has been, and Ivywild is similar- big difference there is that Mike Bristol bought out the old Ivywild school that was closed by D11 and has turned it into a brewery, restaurant, bar, bakery, community center- it's really awesome and an excellent reuse of the space- it's a hoot to go to the school (the bakery is where I substituted a rowdy class of 8th graders) as they have played up the school vibe (the bar is the Principal's Office). I went to a concert there! The MAT has moved over there, and sadness, Ivywild Costumes has moved (to Fort Collins? WHAT?!)

There is huge talk about the Urban Renewal plan for South Nevada (an actual urban renewal as opposed to the urban renewal projects approved for the prairie north of the city). So if you have fond memories of South Nevada then you may want to avoid the area. The plans for that sound like gentrification 100%.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Welcome (almost) back!

Not living in Manitou, I don't think of Manitou as being gentrified. Yes, there has been some improvements to buildings, etc, but the charm that I remember from Manitou for the last 15 years or so hasn't diminished. The only thing I get really annoyed by is that you have to pay to park there, but I'm not mad at the city of Manitou for that- I'm mad at the hordes of Incline users who have invaded Manitou, pushing out the parking for the locals and the shoppers (I love Salus!), and encouraging the city to have people pay for parking. Happily the first fifteen minutes are free and that's plenty of time for me to do my little bit of shopping.
You have to pay to park in downtown Manitou now? fttt! Well, I knew something like that was afoot when I left there. I used to go to the city council meetings to keep 'em honest and the business people were always whining about traffic and parking. They also hadn't got the incline working again when I left. All the people coming to take the Pikes Peak Incline were bad enough. But I'm used to the tourists in Manitou and I bet there's still some of my old escape tactics that will work. I'm going to concentrate my housing search there - to start with anyhow.

Quote:
OCC is the same as it always has been, and Ivywild is similar- big difference there is that Mike Bristol bought out the old Ivywild school that was closed by D11 and has turned it into a brewery, restaurant, bar, bakery, community center- it's really awesome and an excellent reuse of the space- it's a hoot to go to the school (the bakery is where I substituted a rowdy class of 8th graders) as they have played up the school vibe (the bar is the Principal's Office). I went to a concert there! The MAT has moved over there, and sadness, Ivywild Costumes has moved (to Fort Collins? WHAT?!)
Wow! I used to volunteer as a child literacy tutor at that old Ivywild school. It will be a trip to see it turned into a brewery, etc. I'm looking forward to checking that out. I'm glad the building is being put to good use and not left to crumble apart, making lower Ivywild into a slum. And I guess I'll just have to sew my own witch costume if I move to Manitou. I don't think that old broom of mine will fly as far as Ft. Collins.

Quote:
There is huge talk about the Urban Renewal plan for South Nevada (an actual urban renewal as opposed to the urban renewal projects approved for the prairie north of the city). So if you have fond memories of South Nevada then you may want to avoid the area. The plans for that sound like gentrification 100%.
Gentrifying South Nevada - now there's an ambitious plan. That part of town was a place to avoid every since I was a child of 5. I wonder if they'll actually manage to make it work? What happened to the old Southgate Shopping Center? Is that still there? It was pretty run down the last time I saw it in my rearview mirror. My sole fond memory of South Nevada is of the little lost kitten I once rescued out of dumpster down there. He turned into one of the best feline friends I ever had.

Thanks for you feedback! Appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:30 AM

1,902 posts, read 1,136,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Thanks for you feedback! Appreciate it.
Lots of changes. I moved to Cos, about 10 years ago.......there is a Trader Joes not to far from the UCCS
campus, way out on North Nevada.

Another school near Cascade and Fillmore is being renovated similar to Ivywild; can't think of the name right now......little senior moment, dang.

Still some reasonable prices for real estate. I really appreciate the people in Colorado Springs, the love of their animals, their friendliness ( really ) and their love for running, biking, jogging.

Anyhoo, Good Luck and happy trails to you, in 2016!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,679,890 times
Wow, someone who remembers the witches of Manitou...cool. There are still some there, but like yourself, they are a bit longer in tooth and have decided to open up t-shirt and coffee shops to support themselves in retirement. They do collect on the sidewalks during the Emma Crawford races and I see them shake their heads at all the wannabes, but they smile at the interest in their town, sell them a coffee and move on with their life grateful that they can still stay in their chosen locale. With the creation of Gold Hill Mesa development, all the ruins that attracted mis-directed youth angst that created fear and scorn of the witches have all been cleaned up and are becoming homes to families.

A $900 rental in Manitou will be tough to find. Its popularity has soared since you left. You may have luck further up the pass or further down into the west side that will give you a greater chance of finding that price point. The west side has not changed much, but has cleaned up some. It was the location that attracted a lot of younger adults through the 90s-00s who have put effort into making it nice. But it lacks a cohesive neighborhood group outside of the immediate OCC area. Similarly, moving into Mesa Springs/Roswell will open up further rental options plus give you close access to the interstate for those Denver drives. When I25 was widened, a large swath of houses were razed, a large wall put up along the interstate, and sidewalks and green belts were installed. These have created a lot of nice walking areas within the neighborhood. With the close proximity to the Biedelman Center and the Sonderman open space, this area has seen some dramatic revitalization and is becoming much more active of a neighborhood group.

South Nevada has cleaned up some. It still has some seedy pockets in it, but overall it is better than it was 30 years ago. That distinction now belongs to the south-east portion of town around Pikes Peak Park, Deerfield Hills and up towards Platte Ave. South Nevada still has plenty of room to improve but I think the revitalization of Southgate and Ivywild has a lot to do with the notion that the rest of the corridor needs improvement. BTW, its no longer Southgate, its Broadmoor Towne Center and it has a very new look and feel with a number of new shops, and eateries. It is considerably improved from your recollections.

The Lincoln Elementary school is the one on Cascade that is hoping to duplicate the success of Ivywild. D11 has sold the building, a developer is revamping it and they already have some tenants lined up such as a brewer, and a café. The school yard has been paved and lighting installed. There also is talk of a group completing the Legacy Loop, a walking and biking path that will link a number of existing paths into an entire loop around the downtown area. One leg of this will pass close by the Lincoln School. There are other developers looking at building to low rise, multi use buildings along north Weber adjacent to the Bonforte shopping area.

University of Colorado has purchased Memorial, so we are seeing some significant growth in healthcare as they transition the once city owned entity into a research and teaching facility. Penrose-St Francis are now combined and are a premiere healthcare juggernaut. Both entities have opened new hospitals on the northeast side of town as well as small clinics around town. The north Nevada/I25 area is seeing a lot of new growth in support of UCCS's growth and this healthcare boom. University Village shopping center has replaced all the no-tell motels along this stretch of road with new shops and restaurants.

Speaking of which, the Powers Blvd corridor is the new Academy Blvd, only with out curb cuts to every retailer along the way. The popularity of Platte Ave has been replaced with Woodman Rd. The bustling hub that was the Citadel Mall is now centered around north Academy and Briargate around the Chapel Hills Mall. As such, the stretch of Academy from south I-25 to around Austin Bluffs parkway is in a steady decline as more and more merchants and services leave the area and incidents of crime increase.

A lot has changed since you left, but the core of COS, good and bad, is still here. IMO, you can still say most people in the Springs are only separated by 4 degrees of separation before you run into a common person.

Last edited by TCHP; 01-05-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
Good for you, Rambler! You need to take care of your needs and the remoteness of your current location doesn't bode well for an older age. Wishing you luck in finding a great spot for you in the Springs!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Lots of changes. I moved to Cos, about 10 years ago.......there is a Trader Joes not to far from the UCCS
campus, way out on North Nevada.

Another school near Cascade and Fillmore is being renovated similar to Ivywild; can't think of the name right now......little senior moment, dang.

Still some reasonable prices for real estate. I really appreciate the people in Colorado Springs, the love of their animals, their friendliness ( really ) and their love for running, biking, jogging.

Anyhoo, Good Luck and happy trails to you, in 2016!
Sounds like you were moving in around the time I moved out. I'm so far out of the loop that I don't even know what Trader Joes is except that a lot of people sure seem to get excited about it. Good to know the people in the Springs are still animal lovers (I used to love taking my Corgi to the Bear Creek dog park), and that the city's growth has not turned everyone into unfriendly strangers. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Wow, someone who remembers the witches of Manitou...cool. There are still some there, but like yourself, they are a bit longer in tooth and have decided to open up t-shirt and coffee shops to support themselves in retirement. They do collect on the sidewalks during the Emma Crawford races and I see them shake their heads at all the wannabes, but they smile at the interest in their town, sell them a coffee and move on with their life grateful that they can still stay in their chosen locale. With the creation of Gold Hill Mesa development, all the ruins that attracted mis-directed youth angst that created fear and scorn of the witches have all been cleaned up and are becoming homes to families.

A $900 rental in Manitou will be tough to find. Its popularity has soared since you left. You may have luck further up the pass or further down into the west side that will give you a greater chance of finding that price point. The west side has not changed much, but has cleaned up some. It was the location that attracted a lot of younger adults through the 90s-00s who have put effort into making it nice. But it lacks a cohesive neighborhood group outside of the immediate OCC area. Similarly, moving into Mesa Springs/Roswell will open up further rental options plus give you close access to the interstate for those Denver drives. When I25 was widened, a large swath of houses were razed, a large wall put up along the interstate, and sidewalks and green belts were installed. These have created a lot of nice walking areas within the neighborhood. With the close proximity to the Biedelman Center and the Sonderman open space, this area has seen some dramatic revitalization and is becoming much more active of a neighborhood group.

South Nevada has cleaned up some. It still has some seedy pockets in it, but overall it is better than it was 30 years ago. That distinction now belongs to the south-east portion of town around Pikes Peak Park, Deerfield Hills and up towards Platte Ave. South Nevada still has plenty of room to improve but I think the revitalization of Southgate and Ivywild has a lot to do with the notion that the rest of the corridor needs improvement. BTW, its no longer Southgate, its Broadmoor Towne Center and it has a very new look and feel with a number of new shops, and eateries. It is considerably improved from your recollections.

The Lincoln Elementary school is the one on Cascade that is hoping to duplicate the success of Ivywild. D11 has sold the building, a developer is revamping it and they already have some tenants lined up such as a brewer, and a café. The school yard has been paved and lighting installed. There also is talk of a group completing the Legacy Loop, a walking and biking path that will link a number of existing paths into an entire loop around the downtown area. One leg of this will pass close by the Lincoln School. There are other developers looking at building to low rise, multi use buildings along north Weber adjacent to the Bonforte shopping area.

University of Colorado has purchased Memorial, so we are seeing some significant growth in healthcare as they transition the once city owned entity into a research and teaching facility. Penrose-St Francis are now combined and are a premiere healthcare juggernaut. Both entities have opened new hospitals on the northeast side of town as well as small clinics around town. The north Nevada/I25 area is seeing a lot of new growth in support of UCCS's growth and this healthcare boom. University Village shopping center has replaced all the no-tell motels along this stretch of road with new shops and restaurants.

Speaking of which, the Powers Blvd corridor is the new Academy Blvd, only with out curb cuts to every retailer along the way. The popularity of Platte Ave has been replaced with Woodman Rd. The bustling hub that was the Citadel Mall is now centered around north Academy and Briargate around the Chapel Hills Mall. As such, the stretch of Academy from south I-25 to around Austin Bluffs parkway is in a steady decline as more and more merchants and services leave the area and incidents of crime increase.

A lot has changed since you left, but the core of COS, good and bad, is still here. IMO, you can still say most people in the Springs are only separated by 4 degrees of separation before you run into a common person.
Thank you so much for going to the trouble of giving me such a comprehensive reply! Yeah, since I've outed myself as an old fossil with the witch thing, I'll reveal that I spent the first part of my childhood in the then brand new subdivision of Stratton Meadows. Ours was the very last house on a then dead-end road. After that it was nothing but prairie. I can remember the brand new interstate being put in and asking my Mom about the "Christmas trees" - the big semi-trucks going past in the distance covered with all those bright lights. I can actually remember when 8th Street was just a dirt road. I have spent a life-time watching my small town of maybe 70,000 turn into the sophisticated metro area that it is today. When I was 12 we moved to Ivywild and I used to actually walk to Palmer High School because I'd spend my bus fare money on books from the old Clausen's used bookstore right next to the now long-gone Chinook bookstore. When I first moved to Manitou in the early 70's, you could buy a lot with 2 houses on it for a mere $15,000. And I'm not making that up!

Glad to learn that Memorial has finally cleaned up its act and is turning into a reasonable medical facility. I remember it as being old and run down - a hospital to be avoided unless you just wanted to go there to die - yeah, it was that bad. Thanks for the update on Mesa Springs/Roswell. I'll have to check that area out when I begin my housing search. The update on Manitou/OCC is appreciated as well. I may need to focus more on the OCC area. I always liked that part of town and if it has stayed fairly vital, I may concentrate my housing hunt there if Manitou proves to be more than I can afford these days.

As Thomas Wolfe famously wrote "You can't go home again." I know I will experience a major paradigm shift when I move away from my current home in the vast meadows and high mesas south of the small town of Cortez (pop 8,000) and slam up against the bustling Front Range again. In a very real way its as if I am living in a foreign country out here. Good to know in advance something of what to expect these days. I'm hoping to find a small home in a quiet neighborhood and sit back and write my memoirs. I'll let everyone know when I get published.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-05-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post

I didn't know that about Lincoln school... that's exciting... nor the area by Bonforte. Thanks for the info...

And no kidding about four degrees of separation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or