Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 PM

730 posts, read 768,764 times

Advertisements

A few more newbie questions regarding parking outside in winter conditions.
When we get up there we will probably need to park the vehicle outside because the garage is full of boxes. I see people sometimes have their wipers up. When do I need to do this and why? Any other things I should know about parking on snow?
Thanks. I just don't want to get stuck.

Please merge if there is an appropriate thread. I couldn't locate one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 PM

400 posts, read 497,940 times
Placing wiper in the up position prevents ice from accumulating on them. Nothing really special to do when parking in the snow. Make sure your parking break is engaged and if parked on a slope turn your wheels towards the curb. Some people place a shield on the outside windshield to make it easier to remove snow and prevent ice on the windshield.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 PM

208 posts, read 305,420 times
Simplest advice with any driving on snow/ice: don't let your tires slip.

It's comical seeing people nail the gas pedal from a stop thinking they'll get moving faster that way. Use a light touch and gradually accelerate (or decelerate when braking). That applies to slowing down, backing up, and everything else.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:12 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
If I were you I'd process the boxes in the garage asap to make room for your car. Scraping ice from the windshield and getting into a freezing car is no fun at all.

Although I live in a neighborhood that has mostly 3 car garages, I'm astounded that so many people park their cars in the driveway.

Only in America do people park their $30K cars outside because their garage is full of worthless junk.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Only in America do people park their $30K cars outside because their garage is full of worthless junk.
That is funny and you are right! We park our regular cars outside but they are under a carport that covers the drive that keeps the sun and weather off them. We only do this because we have two vintage cars, a convertible Mustang and a 72 Ranchero and they get to live in the garage. At some point we may move to some acreage and put up a big old shop and they can all be inside.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I wish I had a garage to put my car in. I bought a cover for the windshield called a Frost Guard that I put on whenever snow is in the forecast - that helps cut down on scraping quite a bit. If precipitation and freezing temps are in the forecast and you don't have such a cover, that is when it is a good time to raise your wipers so they don't get stuck in ice.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Doodle - how did it go Thursday?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If I were you I'd process the boxes in the garage asap to make room for your car. Scraping ice from the windshield and getting into a freezing car is no fun at all.

Although I live in a neighborhood that has mostly 3 car garages, I'm astounded that so many people park their cars in the driveway.

Boy if that isn't the truth. We moved here in April and people park their cars on the streets and drive way a lot. (Summer and Winter---not to mention hail---are really hard on cars and for the price you pay for them, you would think people would take better care of them.) I have seen 3 car garages stack with stuff all year round. First thing I did when I moved here was unpack and put away stuff. I even downsize some as certain things I did not need anymore or want and just donated the stuff. My side in the garage is clean and neat and that is where my car is when not in use. My husband however has the other two bays and it is packed with alot of junk he could get rid of---guess where his car is---go figure. My favorite is the people who park their cars on the street in the winter---you should see them after the snow plows go by.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 PM

730 posts, read 768,764 times
Well I made it here with kids ok. Then it's snowed more and our streets are a mess. No way is hubby going to get the uhaul up here. I'm really glad we are making this move but actually moving after this storm is very very difficult. I have to go rescue my hubby and I'm hoping I can get the 4 runner out.

I know we have a lot up here in the north part but I was registering the kids for school in d20 yesterday and the roads down there (academy, jubilee, chapel hills road) were a mess too!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Yes, this storm hit fairly equally all over the city - that's a little unusual. I know my commute this morning was a bear - it was worse than any other day this week actually.... but this afternoon was quite a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs