Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:06 AM

44 posts, read 46,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Just fyi, most bears aren't quite awake yet this season but not sure of the trip timeline anyway. Hope OP and son have a wonderful camping trip. I'd love to hear about the trail between St. Mary's and Mt. Rosa - I've done both frequently, but not the connection between the two.... I was up St. Mary's a week ago - a few icy spots remain and the falls are mostly frozen. Mt. Rosa summit should still have deep snow at least in drifts and snow shoes might be a good idea if going that high. Otherwise, given our recent precip if you have shoe spikes i.e. kahtoolas I'd recommend them precautionarily. Last weekend they weren't an absolute must but I appreciated having them in a few spots.
Thanks for that, Otowi. Am anticipating some deep snow in spots (for here anyways). If we can't make it to the top, no problem. We're just out for fun and get away from the city for a couple of days. Actually, I'll post what we find as I know of a few others who are planning on going up to Mt Rosa as soon as they can even before summer hits. Some of that gear I think would be a good idea with this recent wet snow we just got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
Thanks for that, Otowi. Am anticipating some deep snow in spots (for here anyways). If we can't make it to the top, no problem. We're just out for fun and get away from the city for a couple of days. Actually, I'll post what we find as I know of a few others who are planning on going up to Mt Rosa as soon as they can even before summer hits. Some of that gear I think would be a good idea with this recent wet snow we just got.
I have hiked Mt. Rosa in March just not all the way from North Cheyenne Canyon - from Old Stage Road instead (much shorter hike). Even in a fairly dry year there is usually some deep drifts of snow up there but in the general area you're going like Frosty's Park etc. you should have much less to contend with unless a fall is quite recent. Just be prepared for a wide variety of conditions and make sure you leave a fairly detailed plan of your whereabouts and timeline with someone.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:35 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It's those darned Jackalopes that can get ya, there out there, just biding their time. The Squirrels are cute, but they've crossbred with flying squirrels, jack rabbits, and pronghorn antelope to produce the much feared Colorado Winged Jackalope. Those dang fangs can rip and tear like a junkyard dog and they can fly away with your yappy yorkie. Their night vision is up there with owls and are wonderful predators to rid your property of endangered species like Preble's Meadow Jumping Mice without fear from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I left a 4 pound pot roast on the grill unattended and one of the damned things flew off with it. Beware.

Had you put bbq sauce on it, that wouldn't have happened. I hear they don't like their meat sauced.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:06 PM

137 posts, read 196,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't know that T22 would be an effective defensive weapon against any of these. Its not particularly loud and doesn't pack enough punch for a small cat never mind a bear. It would certainly be good for teaching shooting skills, but I'm unfamiliar with how busy that area may be, so can't recommend if that would be good for recreational shooting.
I just noticed this thread, and this is really the most important point. What situation do you get yourself into where an animal is a threat and a .22 rifle is going to be effective? I've carried larger caliber rifles for last resort self-defense from brown bears in the middle of nowhere in Alaska. If one insists in this case, I would think a 9mm pistol would be a much better choice, and a lot less of a responsibility/pain to deal with while trying to enjoy the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs