U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Default Do you really get more snow in COS than in Denver?

I am considering a move to COS, partiallly b/c it is my understanding that they receive 10-20" less snow than Denver. My aunt however, who lives in the northeastern corner, as well as a few other people have told me this is not usually the case; that in fact, it is the other way around due to elevation, Monument Pass, etc. Pls advise.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-22-2006, 08:21 AM

1,313 posts, read 4,534,896 times
On average we get less annual snow fall in C Springs (42.4") than Denver (60.3).

Source: http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../snowfall.html

Now keep in mind that those were reported at the airports and in 1995 (?) they moved from Stapleton Airport to Denver International. That can skew the data slightly but not by too much I don't think in 11 of the 61 years reported for Denver.

Unread 11-22-2006, 08:32 AM

138 posts, read 516,146 times
In town CS gets less snow than Denver. When you move to the north and to the east of town we get snow more comparable to Denver.

Unread 11-30-2006, 07:50 PM

16,500 posts, read 21,458,560 times
MamaMiaHI: As far as "Monument Pass" goes ....I don't consider it a "pass" at all, at least not in the sense of elevation.

Where I-25 goes over "Monument Hill" the elevation is about 7500 feet. Compare that to Berthoud Pass (pronounced berth-ed, with emphasis on the first syllable) at 12,000+ feet, now that's a mountain pass. Monument Hill simply sits atop an odd piece of geology, that is, a ridge running east-west at a slightly higher elevation than the rest of the area. This odd feature is called the Palmer Divide. I'm in Colorado Springs at 6500 feet elevation. That extra 1000 feet of rise can make a big difference in the snow line, the point at which rain becomes snow. If the snow line is at 7000 feet, I'll get rain here at 6500 feet and they'll get snow at 7500 feet on Monument Hill, thus making driving tricky up on I-25. It's not a big deal as mountains and passes go, but it is an odd feature as it runs east-west while the Front Range runs north-south. The Palmer Divide sometimes helps to keep weather from passing over it, meaning Denver can have one form of weather and here it will be different, only 60 miles away.

Basically, I consider Monument Hill or Monument Pass to be a non-issue, and suggest you not worry about it.

s/Mike

Unread 12-01-2006, 07:57 AM

226 posts, read 885,172 times
I would not get too pragmatic about living in the area that has the least amount of snow. During a storm the difference between 6 inches of snow in Denver and 4 inches in the Springs is nominal. Either way you need to shovel and watch your driving. And unlike some other parts of the country where the snow takes weeks to melt after a storm in this area most of the snow melts within 24 to 48 hours. You should choose an area based upon what you like about the area, not the amount of snow it receives.

Unread 12-02-2006, 10:39 AM

138 posts, read 516,146 times
Good poiny, BenWolfe. My opinion is that if it's going to decide to be cold and snowy- it better snow a lot. I hate nothing more than a cold, cloudy day that only dishes out enough snow to make the roads icy. If it's going to snow- let it snow!

Unread 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM

58 posts, read 198,451 times
Mike you are so right on about Colorado Springs. I moved here from So Cal 2.5 years ago on a recommendation from a friend. I visited here a couple of times during different times of weather and it was exactly like you have written. Of course the weather can get change and be different than normal, but for the most part it stays the same. For the 2.5 years I’ve lived here the worst snow we had was 2’ and that was the storm this year in October other than that, 2” here and 3” there. I moved here for the same reasons others have from big cities, congestion and value of life.

It is so beautiful here a few minutes any direction out of the Springs and you’re in the country, something that you couldn’t do in Orange County. Or if you could you’d be with hundreds of others trying to do the same. Anybody thinking of Colorado this is the place!

Unread 12-07-2006, 10:37 AM

16,500 posts, read 21,458,560 times
Default Hello Joe

Welcome to city-data & the Forums, and thanks for the kind words.

I think this is one great area in which to live and everytime someone speaks up to concur it just makes the smile on my face grow. Not sure about other folks, but before anyone picks up stakes, leaves family, moves 1700 miles to find a better life...there are a lot of jitters and soul searching about doing the right thing, etc. A few months here and I knew I'd done good for me and my sweetie of 32+ years. We ain't going back....

s/Mike from back east

Unread 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,202 times
where is the best place to buy a house in the Springs area...we're looking for a newer home in the 2-3k price range, 4 bedrooms, any ideas? Thanks!

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:47 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,314,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbobobby View Post
where is the best place to buy a house in the Springs area...we're looking for a newer home in the 2-3k price range, 4 bedrooms, any ideas? Thanks!

You mean $200K - $300K, right?
Where are you (going to be) working?
Kids? Ages?
You like newer cookie cutter or older established?
Need to be within commuting distance to Denver?
Any land size requirements?

What would you rather have:
A bigger house in a less desirable location (on a main street?)
A smaller house in a desireable location (good schools, maybe a view)
A bigger house in a desirable location but a longer distance from work, restaurants, shopping, etc. (maybe the outskirts of Colorado springs?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs