U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 11,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Excellent! IMO, you've got nothing to freak about. Yes, this will be a big change for you, but reading your reply certainly made me laugh. You obviously can roll with the punches and that will go a long way to helping you get settled.

Yes, change is no fun. Its easy to zero in on negativity when faced with uncertainty. Like I said, this isn't utopia, but once you get past the shock, I bet you might find yourself getting comfortable here.

Colo Spgs and CO in general are growing very rapidly. Depending on your source, we are a top 10, 15, or 20 contender in growth with all the positives and negatives that entails.

Krave Maga...had to google that one. You very well may diffuse that gun fight. A quick search turned up 5 dojos(?) for that discipline, so we have places for you to look into.

Rentals, there are some very new and very nice units on top of the mesa near Fillmore and Centennial. I've not looked into them to know exact features, but I'd imagine they have a gym, pool, and clubhouse. They also are very centrally located which may help as get your your bearings on where you want to look for housing. They have great city views to the east and views of Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods to the west. As others have said, most of what is north of Woodman is less than 20 years old and will also have the newest construction and most contemporary offerings in both rentals and homes. However, Colorado Springs growth has not been linear and there are pockets of new development as well as some high end older developments throughout the city so when you are looking for your home, don't discount some more central locations like University Park, Country Club Acres, Patty Jewett, or the Old North End.

Still can't help you with a gym as I haven't been a member of one for quite a while. I can say the Pikes Peak YMCA organization is large, well established and very popular. The downtown facility might even be called the undercover networking hub of a number of local power brokers who tend to be more frugal. Not to say there are some major country clubs here as well such as Cos Country Country Club, Gates CC, Garden of the God CC, and of course the newer ones in Northgate and Flying Horse. Sorry, most my life is conducted south of Woodman so I have less knowledge of things north than most newcomers will.

Speaking of which, IMO, you should have no trouble meeting people. What you will find when you get here is nearly all the people you will meet are from somewhere else. From 1990 to now, the population here has almost doubled, and that isn't because the natives don't believe in birth control.

Boulder...we are kind of the antihesis of Boulder in many ways. With that said, however, we do have farmers markets with local produce, a local artists coop and store, a very well respected local theater company that does regular productions, a number of guest speakers on a variety of topics at Colorado College, a number of local festivals and the occasional national one that rolls through, expanding science, engineering and healthcare programs at Colorado University, we have a number of craft brewers, a good number of local restaurants and a pretty darn good park and trail system.

Cos has long been a vacation destination. We have a lot of local activities that may help you become a bit more mountain tolerant. We also have things that aren't going to involve them at all and will allow you to stay in town. We also have Denver and Boulder right up the road a way. You'll find a sample of all types of people here. While Cos does tend to be more fiscally conservative (hence the pot holes-which are in the process of being repairs thanks to a recent sales tax approval) and is home to a number of military installations and evangelical organizations (most of which relocated from California), we also have the funky artistic west side and Manitou Springs, the old money areas of Old North End and Broadmoor, Black Forest for trees and more trees, the Tri-Lakes area that a lot of people like to locate close to, and the eastern plains where you can buy acres of open space. A few links for you to look through; Cos Visitors site Colorado Springs Vacation Planning & Tourism Information | Colorado Springs, Colorado Colo Visitors site Colorado Things to Do, Attractions & Official Travel Guide | Colorado.com Pikes Peak Realty Assoc for rentals and homes PPAR.com - Trusted And Accurate Real Estate Listing Information

Wow.... thank you SOOOOO much. This was a lot of good info. I just checked out the websites too ---> Manitou Springs Wine Festival .... here I come!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 AM

1,290 posts, read 628,647 times
Cool. You might want to plan a trip to Canon City to visit the Abby winery then head west on Highway 50 for a funky weekend away and arts show in the Salida or Buena Vista areas. Only a couple hours away but worlds away from the crowds of Boulder and Rocky Mtn Nat Park. The Abby offers some very good local varietals that can be found in the better local liquor stores. For another weekend trip, consider heading west on I-70 to the Grand Junction area. There are several wineries and meaderies as well as some rockin' good fruit and veggy farms and markets.

Palisades peaches, Rocky Ford cantalope, Pueblo chilis, we have some very good, regionally grown organics for your sampling. Farmers markets in downtown Cos, Old Colo City, or Briargate can give you samples of other local produce as well.

Non-flouridated water may be a bit more challenging. Cos city water is very high quality, but also has been naturally flouridated since the beginning. Now it also has other things in it, and at times I can differentiate the chlorine in it, but it really isn't bad for city water. If by chance you do end up in a home on well water, you will find flouride traces in it. Speaking of which, another gated community you may want to look at is Crystal Park. Semi private homesites with custom homes, sitting high above Manitou about half way up the side of Pikes Peak. There are a lot of wonderful houses and other member benefits up there, but a host of rules and regulations as well as the need to be either on a private or community well.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:15 AM

84 posts, read 42,163 times
OP, there's definitely a lot to like here, and I think when we moved here a few years ago I read it's one of the fittest states because of all the outdoor stuff to do.

That being said, I actually do find a lot of your original points to be true (sorry guys, it's not all sunshine and daisies here). And generally I've found a blind eye does get turned to some of the not so nice parts by those who would highly praise COS. However, the people here are for the most part BLINDINGLY nice and helpful. In general the more north of the city you get, the better off you are in terms of housing and quality, but it shows in that it costs more. I've lived downtown-ish and now in southgate because it's what we could afford, but once you get here, you really can tell visually the good from the bad. The roads typically aren't taken care of very well because "lolz it never snows here!" And they just wait for the sun to melt everything instead of having adequate plows and salt. Coming from the midwest, I couldn't believe that attitude and have seen rideculous things in regards to cars and snowfall because they just don't really have an adequate enough response to it.

The thing is, you will make or break this place depending on your attitude. There's a lot of love to go around here, the COL will be of advantage to you as well as the great people here. I'm not big on any of the outdoor activities you listed either, and I do miss the green, but there are tons of opportunities to get involved in something new here.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:11 PM

687 posts, read 780,814 times
Yeah, there are any hippies in California, or people who smoke pot or drink. Not a single gun anywhere in that huge state. And no crime either!

Seriously?

And fundamentalists ... the worst of them here who gave us a bad name (FOTF) came from California. Most of us wish they'd stayed in CA.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 AM

411 posts, read 182,555 times
i live in the springs its not bad at all. True no jobs - im lucky to be top 15% salary wise, but I live up north and if pay is good, that is where you want to move. roads are better, less traffic and people are nice.

Downtown...yeah I dont like driving by there. A lot of low class people (not saying all of them) but most of them

Sure a lot of people are moving here - but heck I do not care because that means property value goes up! Lower income the county, the lower the cost of products and more sales

Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Downtown...yeah I dont like driving by there. A lot of low class people (not saying all of them) but most of them
Truly homeless people (as opposed to those who simply ran out of paycheck before they ran out of month) have to camp where they have access to water and have reasonable amounts of geography to hide in. Downtown is the confluence of Fountain, Monument, and Shooks Run creeks. The cuts from the water flow along with the vegetation that thrives around them means they attract homeless people.

Definite plus for those in the north end of town where Cottonwood creek is the only free flowing water but the surburban nature of the areas it flows through and its far distance from shelters and soup kitchens tends to keeps homeless types from collecting there.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:58 PM

19 posts, read 11,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
OP, there's definitely a lot to like here, and I think when we moved here a few years ago I read it's one of the fittest states because of all the outdoor stuff to do.

That being said, I actually do find a lot of your original points to be true (sorry guys, it's not all sunshine and daisies here). And generally I've found a blind eye does get turned to some of the not so nice parts by those who would highly praise COS. However, the people here are for the most part BLINDINGLY nice and helpful. In general the more north of the city you get, the better off you are in terms of housing and quality, but it shows in that it costs more. I've lived downtown-ish and now in southgate because it's what we could afford, but once you get here, you really can tell visually the good from the bad. The roads typically aren't taken care of very well because "lolz it never snows here!" And they just wait for the sun to melt everything instead of having adequate plows and salt. Coming from the midwest, I couldn't believe that attitude and have seen rideculous things in regards to cars and snowfall because they just don't really have an adequate enough response to it.

The thing is, you will make or break this place depending on your attitude. There's a lot of love to go around here, the COL will be of advantage to you as well as the great people here. I'm not big on any of the outdoor activities you listed either, and I do miss the green, but there are tons of opportunities to get involved in something new here.

Sooooo..... just got back from COS.

Oh... where to begin..... here are my FIRST impressions (will wait for second impressions later).

ALTITUDE KICKED my behind.
- decided to "jog" from one end of the parking lot to the other to test myself... started to get chest pains, thought I was going to die. LOOOL. Wow. I really need to work on this. That Pikes Peak cograil is not happening anytime soon. People kept telling me to drink water. IT DIDNT HELP.

PEOPLE were NICE.
- even the 7-11 cashier, housing hunt people, job hunt people... all were super nice. Not used to nice. So that was good. Sure there were some crazies I met in downtown... but I expected that from downtown. Every downtown has interesting characters.

POTHOLES.
- YES. Many. But the important roads were ok. I have seen worse roads in IL and MN.

NEIGHBORHOODS - first impressions:
- DOWNTOWN is actually very cute. Homeless people don't bother me. It was a cool hangout place. Parking was easy as well. Everyone crosses streets illegally without crosswalks or lights. So driving through it was super stressful. Pedestrians don't follow any rules.
- ONEN - cute, but not a place I would live. It was meh.
- Flying Horse - NOOOOOO. Not my taste. It might be other people's taste. Not mine. All the homes looked the same to me. No trees. Looked like the prairie. Did I go to the wrong side?
- Briargate - meh. Again, got weird prairie feel. I don't know why. Felt like a zombie driving through it. Maybe it was the altitude sickness. Who knows.

- and now for my FAVORITE NEIGHBORHOOD off of first impressions goes to: CHEYENNE CANYON,CHEYENNE MOUTAIN, STRATTON, BROADMOOR HOTEL area and all around Broadmoor area. AMAZING. I AM IN LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I am from cali but I don't like the beach. I like more of a forest feel. and these neighborhoods hit the mark. I am told there is a ton of wildlife nearby (yay).

**TCHP** - you were right about the neighborhood that I would most like.

CARS/DRIVING.
- looked like most people were driving terribly. Most people around me were texting, talking on the phone without a Bluetooth, swirling, etc. So I have to get a car in which I wont die when hit, especially in the winter when there is ice and terribly plowed streets and hills. Decided on ACURA MDX.

FOOD.
- Found my Whole Foods. I am good. Done.

RANDOM things I didn't like.
- Statues and other things about the Rodeo. Ugh. No.
- Construction EVERYWHERE. what are they building?
- SOOO many law firms and offices in downtown. Why do we need so many? lol
- drivers are terrible. don't signal and text and drive.
- there is no BANK OF AMERICA in COS. WHY NOT?

Will post second impressions after the move.

Last edited by Cali on my Mind; 05-17-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali on my Mind View Post
ALTITUDE KICKED my behind.
- decided to "jog" from one end of the parking lot to the other to test myself... started to get chest pains, thought I was going to die. LOOOL. Wow. I really need to work on this. That Pikes Peak cograil is not happening anytime soon. People kept telling me to drink water. IT DIDNT HELP.
Not surprised. It whoops everyone their first time here. However, in 6-8 weeks, you'll be adapted and back to your normal workouts. The flip side of this is after you've acclimated, your next trip to the coast will make you feel like an Olympic runner with your new found red blood cell count. That is why the Olympic Training Center is located here. It also means you can drink alcohol like a fish at lower altitudes. Remind yourself to moderate drinking when you return as I have know high altitude citizens who have been on the verge of alcohol poisoning because of their ability to imbibe at sea level. BTW, the water doesn't really help with acclimation to altitude. Its because we are very dry and the atmosphere will suck the moisture right out of your body. Some people notice it right away, some don't.

Quote:
PEOPLE were NICE.
- even the 7-11 cashier, housing hunt people, job hunt people... all were super nice. Not used to nice. So that was good. Sure there were some crazies I met in downtown... but I expected that from downtown. Every downtown has interesting characters.
That's because nearly all the people you met are from somewhere else and have been through the relocation wringer, where greeted that way, and have chosen to pay it forward.

Quote:
POTHOLES.
- YES. Many. But the important roads were ok. I have seen worse roads in IL and MN.
My thoughts too, but as a local, I'm miffed they got in that condition in the first place. They haven't always been that way.

Quote:
NEIGHBORHOODS - first impressions:
- DOWNTOWN is actually very cute. Homeless people don't bother me. It was a cool hangout place. Parking was easy as well. Everyone crosses streets illegally without crosswalks or lights. So driving through it was super stressful. Pedestrians don't follow any rules.
- ONEN - cute, but not a place I would live. It was meh.
- Flying Horse - NOOOOOO. Not my taste. It might be other people's taste. Not mine. All the homes looked the same to me. No trees. Looked like the prairie. Did I go to the wrong side?
- Briargate - meh. Again, got weird prairie feel. I don't know why. Felt like a zombie driving through it. Maybe it was the altitude sickness. Who knows.

- and now for my FAVORITE NEIGHBORHOOD off of first impressions goes to: CHEYENNE CANYON,CHEYENNE MOUTAIN, STRATTON, BROADMOOR HOTEL area and all around Broadmoor area. AMAZING. I AM IN LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I am from cali but I don't like the beach. I like more of a forest feel. and these neighborhoods hit the mark. I am told there is a ton of wildlife nearby (yay).

**TCHP** - you were right about the neighborhood that I would most like.
I'm glad I helped steer you in a direction you found favorable. As you noticed, there is a range of housing and neighborhoods here. Not all of them are for everyone, but nearly everyone can find someplace that works well for them. There are several upscale neighborhoods that back up to the mountains with a lot of trees. Yes, nearly all neighborhoods will have wildlife in them. Even in downtown, fox, deer, raccoons, and coyotes are regularly seen. We have, on occasion, had bears and moose too. Bad pedestrians, yeah, they take their bad driving habits on foot with them. See below.

Quote:
CARS/DRIVING.
- looked like most people were driving terribly. Most people around me were texting, talking on the phone without a Bluetooth, swirling, etc. So I have to get a car in which I wont die when hit, especially in the winter when there is ice and terribly plowed streets and hills. Decided on ACURA MDX.
Downside to all the transplants here...there is no consistent bad driving habit. We have people from both coasts, the mid-west, and gulf coast. They bring all those habits here and mush them into one big mess of driving. It gets worse when it snows. Good idea to get a fair sized vehicle. There are a few places that offer winter driving lessons if you are so inclined. A good rule of thumb for you, 4 wheel drive does not equal 4 wheel stop. While your MDX will be able to accellerate well in the snow, but won't stop any better than any other ABS equipped Honda or Toyota.

Quote:
FOOD.
- Found my Whole Foods. I am good. Done.
We also have Sprouts and Trader Joes.

Quote:
RANDOM things I didn't like.
- Statues and other things about the Rodeo. Ugh. No.
- Construction EVERYWHERE. what are they building?
- SOOO many law firms and offices in downtown. Why do we need so many? lol
- drivers are terrible. don't signal and text and drive.
- there is no BANK OF AMERICA in COS. WHY NOT?
Rodeo used to be really big out here when there were ranches around the area. While those have mostly disappeared, we still have one major rodeo in the middle of the summer. It has traditionally been the time when all the monied elite of the city dressed up and acted like cowboys. We also are the headquarters for the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. so there is still a thread of that around.

Construction- expanding the roads, man! The two biggies you most likely saw are the Cimmarron and Fillmore interchanges. Major updates being done to these two.

Law Firms...yea, we like to pretend we are bigger than we are. Lots of starving lawyers here.

Drivers, see above.

BoA, not sure why they haven't expanded into the market. Chase and Wells Fargo have. BoA does have several ATMs locally.

Quote:
Will post second impressions after the move.
Great!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 PM

14 posts, read 9,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Most expensive, safe, "best" from what I've gathered are areas around the Broadmoor in S/W area of town. Also some areas of Briargate and farther north, Flying Horse are pricey as well. Not sure about the first two options but there is only 1 apartment complex somewhat near Flying Horse because it is expensive and these areas tend to not want apartments near them.

Seems silly to come on here and bash our city then ask us for recommendations.

You're right, you won't like it here.

Yes, please keep your negativity, and future weight gain plans in whatever city you are currently in. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 AM

819 posts, read 252,666 times
You are definitely going to get wrinkly out in Colorado, so keep that in mind. You are going to look much older than your contemporaries in California. It's the climate.

This is something I tell people all the time about dry climates. Even diet won't help you. It's something to think about because what will your friends in California say when you come back appearing much older than you are now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs