U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

Hope this finds everyone here well. I am moving with my family (myself, husband and 4 awesome little ones) to Colorado Springs this summer. We are super excited to see what the city has to offer and can't wait to get there. However, we are transitioning from Alaska (yes Alaska lol) where unfortunately there was a lack of diversity and not a lot for the kids to get involved in. Finding a church, hair stylists and activities for the family proved to be pretty difficult. I am hoping that this move will give us more opportunities to get more involved this go around. With that being said I need help finding the following things (any help/advice would be amazing)

1. Hairstylist - Preferably someone who understands African American hair care, who can maybe braid or deal with natural hair. (sew in, twist outs, braids, etc.)

2. Diverse Church - Doesn't have to be an all African American church but looking for something maybe non-denominational that has great contemporary praise and worship music, maybe a youth choir or youth programs and not gigantic lol. (music like Israel Houghton, Marvin Sapp, etc.)

3. Sports for young kids around the age of 9. They love tennis, volleyball, swimming, dance (especially) and cheerleading. So if you have any advice on any of these that would be great. I have check yelp for a lot of these but its always so hard to tell. I'd rather have someone who lives there to maybe give an accurate assessment.

4. A good daycare center for my little one who will be 18 months old.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,010,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMusicLove View Post
Hope this finds everyone here well. I am moving with my family (myself, husband and 4 awesome little ones) to Colorado Springs this summer. We are super excited to see what the city has to offer and can't wait to get there. However, we are transitioning from Alaska (yes Alaska lol) where unfortunately there was a lack of diversity and not a lot for the kids to get involved in. Finding a church, hair stylists and activities for the family proved to be pretty difficult. I am hoping that this move will give us more opportunities to get more involved this go around. With that being said I need help finding the following things (any help/advice would be amazing)

1. Hairstylist - Preferably someone who understands African American hair care, who can maybe braid or deal with natural hair. (sew in, twist outs, braids, etc.)

2. Diverse Church - Doesn't have to be an all African American church but looking for something maybe non-denominational that has great contemporary praise and worship music, maybe a youth choir or youth programs and not gigantic lol. (music like Israel Houghton, Marvin Sapp, etc.)

3. Sports for young kids around the age of 9. They love tennis, volleyball, swimming, dance (especially) and cheerleading. So if you have any advice on any of these that would be great. I have check yelp for a lot of these but its always so hard to tell. I'd rather have someone who lives there to maybe give an accurate assessment.

4. A good daycare center for my little one who will be 18 months old.

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions in advance.

sorry no one has answered your questions. I think the reason is that there so few African americans in COS. in the 2010 census the African American populace was only 6.3%. The entire front range is VERY white. If you are looking for diversity Colorado isn't going to be much of a change from Alaska. There are plenty of states that have the diversity you are seeking

Good luck

Old 06-20-2016, 07:24 PM

432 posts, read 1,093,213 times
Sent you a DM

Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM

3,640 posts, read 2,811,612 times
Hairstylist, can't really help you here, but I do have some AA friends who have these types of services done on occasion. I'll ask for their recommendations.

Church, we have a lot of churches here. Finding a non-denominational one with a variety of programs won't be hard. Again, I have no recommendations for this.

Sports, we have a variety of sports and activities here that are on your list. At the entry level there are the city recreational leagues that are a fair priced bargain. Next step up would be private competitive leagues. Again, any number of those here with a wide variety or prices tags, goals, and expectations. There also are numerous academies that can provide training/classes on going education in a variety of sports disciplines like cheer, dance, swim. I'd suggest looking for some of the free handouts at your local grocery store such as Parents, Springs, or other newsprint flyers. There also is a very wide network of YMCA facilities within the region that offers all of these and more. Some of the local tv stations have links to sites as well. I'm thinking of places like 719moms.com and other similar links.

Daycare, can't help with a specific suggestion, however, I may suggest you look at some in home care providers as options. We did this with all of our children. The high percentage of military in teh area means there are numerous stay at home parents who can do daycare. You/ll wnat to look for one that has taken teh effort to achieve some certifications such as CPR and licensure. Rates varied form competitive to outragous, so look around and interview a number of them so you can align your values with theirs. Resources at the YMCA may be able to help with this as well as any number of local church groups.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,292,097 times
This isn't Alaska - you'll love it here, and once you get settled, you'll find everything you need.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Hair

[quote=1. Hairstylist - Preferably someone who understands African American hair care, who can maybe braid or deal with natural hair. (sew in, twist outs, braids, etc.) [/QUOTE]

Just did a search because I remembered someone had asked this awhile back - maybe it will help you:
:

Black hair salon in colorado springs

Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,752,146 times
People are friendlier in Colorado springs compared to most states. I think you will be in for a real treat. Greatest place to raise a family!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM

5,949 posts, read 8,077,980 times
There should be plenty to pick from for all the things you mentioned but I don't have specific recommendations. Welcome!

Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
This isn't Alaska - you'll love it here, and once you get settled, you'll find everything you need.
Someone took the trouble to send me a PM just to call me (and someone else) ridiculous for suggesting you'll love it here, wanted to know if I was psychic.

No, I'm not psychic ... but at the very least I think you'll find plenty to like about living here, despite the fact that not all people do. You can't know until you try.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:32 AM

278 posts, read 267,998 times
Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or