U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 3,761 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I just took a job that is mostly work from home but some work up in Denver and between Springs and Denver, so I'm just starting to get the process going for relocating to there from Silicon Valley.

I've been reading the forums, and beyond avoiding SE Springs, anything else I should keep in mind when buying a home? My price range I could afford is anything under 300k, although I am divorcing in the process and have no kids, so I suspect I won't need a home that big anyway but just throwing it out there in case it's necessary to get into a nice neighborhood. I don't want to be in the 20% part of Springs that has a crime problem.

If anyone has any tips, hints, etc. for navigating the Springs real estate market I'd greatly appreciate them.

Also, any suggestions on what to do for single guys in their early 30s for fun are welcome. I'm planning to start hiking a lot more, start fishing, sharpshooting, etc. Not interested in night clubs at all. Looking forward to getting the hell out of CA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:29 AM

4,332 posts, read 4,364,083 times
If I were you I'd rent a place on the north side (north of Woodman) for at least 6 months. That will give you time to get a feel for the area.

Colorado Springs has so many choices for housing that it can make the decision hard.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,083,819 times
There are running clubs, biking clubs, hiking clubs you could join.

I agree that renting for 6 months would probably be a good idea, so you could get a better idea of which areas you like. Since your work would bring you up north of Colorado Springs, I would stay on the northern side of town and don't go too far out east. Our real estate prices have reached an all-time high here, though there are still plenty of places under 300k. Use PPAR.com for searching for homes - this is our local MLS portal so you wont have the problem like you would have on Zillow, etc, where half the homes it shows you are already off the market.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 AM

20,314 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Tim: Hello. By all means, rent for a year to figure it all out, especially with the turbulence in your private life. North of Woodmen is good, especially if you're heading up to Denver every so often.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 16,725 times
Since you will mostly be working from home, why not stay in Denver instead of COS? Will be better for a single guy in his 30's, you will have more opportunities for networking, and also transition from Silicon Valley type of place to CO will be much smoother...

But if you must be in COS (perhaps due to better home prices), DO NOT BUY RIGHT AWAY. As mentioned above, rent an apartment for a year and observe all the neighborhoods through all 4 seasons. There is a lot of info you need to learn about different locations and the natural effects/disasters that happen.

I just moved from Cali and am renting right now and observing for about a year.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali on my Mind View Post
Since you will mostly be working from home, why not stay in Denver instead of COS? Will be better for a single guy in his 30's, you will have more opportunities for networking, and also transition from Silicon Valley type of place to CO will be much smoother...
Well, I don't want anything similar to Silicon Valley...why else would I move to Colorado from California? I hate the ideology, and the extremist liberals here, so I targeted Springs not only because the housing is far more reasonable but because it sounds like it's more conservative so I would fit in better there. Based on what I've read, I would want nothing to do with Denver lol.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatim84 View Post
Well, I don't want anything similar to Silicon Valley...why else would I move to Colorado from California? I hate the ideology, and the extremist liberals here, so I targeted Springs not only because the housing is far more reasonable but because it sounds like it's more conservative so I would fit in better there. Based on what I've read, I would want nothing to do with Denver lol.
Just fyi there are a number of conservative-leaning counties along the Front Range - not just El Paso (Colorado Springs). Douglas County has nearly double the number of Republicans vs. Democrats, as does Weld - both quite similar to El Paso. http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elec...artyStatus.pdf

Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Just fyi there are a number of conservative-leaning counties along the Front Range - not just El Paso (Colorado Springs). Douglas County has nearly double the number of Republicans vs. Democrats, as does Weld - both quite similar to El Paso. http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elec...artyStatus.pdf
Good to know. I don't mind some liberal values actually; I just don't want it totally whitewashed one way or the other. I think extreme liberalism is as dangerous as extreme conservatism.

Looks like I found a 6-month rental in north Colorado Springs, way away from SE, which I'll just live at until I find a home then break the lease. I don't agree with renting for a year or more to decide if you like the area if it's where you're required to live for your job...the removal of choice makes owning a home pretty clearcut in my opinion. Especially with interest rates at historical lows.

If there are any clubs you guys would recommend, or any sort of social groups that would be good for meeting new people, feel free to name drop.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,083,819 times
Jack Quinns running club - About - Jack Quinn's Runners Club

Old 07-27-2016, 11:51 AM

928 posts, read 1,033,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatim84 View Post
Good to know. I don't mind some liberal values actually; I just don't want it totally whitewashed one way or the other. I think extreme liberalism is as dangerous as extreme conservatism.

Looks like I found a 6-month rental in north Colorado Springs, way away from SE, which I'll just live at until I find a home then break the lease. I don't agree with renting for a year or more to decide if you like the area if it's where you're required to live for your job...the removal of choice makes owning a home pretty clearcut in my opinion. Especially with interest rates at historical lows.

If there are any clubs you guys would recommend, or any sort of social groups that would be good for meeting new people, feel free to name drop.
Check out MeetUp - there are many hiking, biking, running groups in the area.

There's this: Colorado Mountain Club | Colorado's leading organization dedicated to adventure, recreation, conservation and education

You'll find plenty of opportunity for outdoor adventures and quite a few people in your age range that enjoy that lifestyle.

By the way, there's nothing all that wrong with the SE part of town, despite what others may say. There are areas in every part of this region that have good and bad features. If you like trees and shade, you may find the NE side of town depressing (I do). And yes, that's an untrue blanket statement, just as statements about the SE are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or