Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:03 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Well, what can any of us expect to happen to highway capacity and modernization since 1992 when TABOR was inflicted on the state. Under TABOR all hope was lost that state leaders could do the job they are elected to do, viz, provide a proper level of government facilities and services to meet the needs of citizens and to raise revenues as needed to fulfill those requirements.

Voters got suckered by a tax-hating crank; they followed him off a cliff, they got what they voted for with TABOR, i.e., way too damned little. TABOR is mob rule by another name, and with TABOR they lynched good government.

You're in San Diego, I take it that you were here at one time and left. I was in COLO SPGS for 11 years and left two years ago for AZ where I have far more and better roads in every way. As a retiree my money is good just about anywhere, so I voted to leave the comic book government of COLO SPGS and go to some place with adult leadership.
I grew up in Widefield and we had a business off Templeton Gap Rd. I love the springs but can't deal with the cold anymore so SD it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 12:07 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I grew up in Widefield and we had a business off Templeton Gap Rd. I love the springs but can't deal with the cold anymore so SD it is.
Man you are lucky living out in SD beautiful city wonderful weather.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:31 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Man you are lucky living out in SD beautiful city wonderful weather.
Expensive and horrible politics. We might be back I want the Springs in the summer and here in the winter.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Default Construction funnel squeeze

I drove back from Denver to Colorado Springs on I-25 on Thanksgiving day.

The construction activity due south of Castle Rock (the first 9 miles of that road) forces drivers to go through a section where there is no place to pull off. I really think it makes the road too unsafe.

While that area is under construction, I'm going to take an alternate route, Highway 83.

Just watch what happens when we get our first big snowstorm!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I drove back from Denver to Colorado Springs on I-25 on Thanksgiving day.

The construction activity due south of Castle Rock (the first 9 miles of that road) forces drivers to go through a section where there is no place to pull off. I really think it makes the road too unsafe.

While that area is under construction, I'm going to take an alternate route, Highway 83.

Just watch what happens when we get our first big snowstorm!
83 is no longer a secret, that cat has been out of the bag for a few years (at least).

When I was going to Longmont last Wed. evening for Turkey Day with the family I took 83 north since I knew I25 was probably backed-up (or at least going 35-40) mph like most days now.

I had no traffic going north but the traffic coming south was a non-stop line of cars- they all were probably wondering "I thought this was a good idea!".

When you can not get above 40 mph because a truck or RV is in the front of the line on 83 you may want to second guess not taking your risk on I25.

I did go home via I25 Thursday afternoon around 4p and it was smooth sailing- just like the old days. I do agree that the stretch south of CR to Tomah Rd. is very narrow and with the accidents that seem to happen daily it will be a terrible drive esp. when it snows.

The commuters who do that drive daily (since they may have saved a few grand on a house in northern CS) must be second-guessing that decision- but they will say it is "still better than where they came from".

Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
83 is no longer a secret, that cat has been out of the bag for a few years (at least).

When I was going to Longmont last Wed. evening for Turkey Day with the family I took 83 north since I knew I25 was probably backed-up (or at least going 35-40) mph like most days now.

I had no traffic going north but the traffic coming south was a non-stop line of cars- they all were probably wondering "I thought this was a good idea!".

When you can not get above 40 mph because a truck or RV is in the front of the line on 83 you may want to second guess not taking your risk on I25.

I did go home via I25 Thursday afternoon around 4p and it was smooth sailing- just like the old days. I do agree that the stretch south of CR to Tomah Rd. is very narrow and with the accidents that seem to happen daily it will be a terrible drive esp. when it snows.

The commuters who do that drive daily (since they may have saved a few grand on a house in northern CS) must be second-guessing that decision- but they will say it is "still better than where they came from".
I agree. The last time I came back from Denver on 83, it was non-stop traffic going south.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 PM

178 posts, read 173,336 times
I won't be driving to Denver anymore unless I have to. I feel bad for the people who commute there daily. All of this construction for a toll road.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 AM

Another alternate route is Highway 105 from Sedalia to Monument. I used that route several times last summer when there were wrecks holding up the traffic on I-25.

Google Maps give a real time traffic update.

I'm so glad I don't have to do that commute!

Old 11-25-2018, 01:20 PM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Another alternate route is Highway 105 from Sedalia to Monument. I used that route several times last summer when there were wrecks holding up the traffic on I-25.

Google Maps give a real time traffic update.

I'm so glad I don't have to do that commute!
We take that one coming back sometimes.

It is a bit longer, but a very beautiful drive.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 AM

Default Update 6/30/2019

Crashes in the I-25 'Gap' have spiked since construction began, data says

https://gazette.com/news/crashes-in-...4db23f211.html

"Crashes on Interstate 25 from Monument to Castle Rock are up more than 50 percent since construction began to widen the stretch, known as the “Gap,” last fall.

From Sept. 1 through May 31, there were 790 crashes on the roughly 18-mile segment, compared with 514 crashes during that same nine-month period from 2017-18, according to data from Colorado State Patrol.

Crashes where property was damaged, but no one was hurt or killed, have accounted for most of the increase, records show."

Since construction began that 18 mile stretch has become one huge hazard zone.

The biggest problem is that the lanes are now very narrow and there is no room on the shoulder to park a disabled vehicle.

I usually use 83 or 105 in lieu of I-25. Three crashes per day is way too many!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs