U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That cat's out and about. I took 83 down Sunday at noonish and it was a solid wall of cars both ways with like 30 people lined up on County Line road trying to go straight across but not finding a gap in traffic.
Yup. Colorado State Patrol Twitter has been "tweeting" to advise people to detour off I25 to 83.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM

191 posts, read 113,941 times
Recently moved to Castle Rock and can see part of I-25 from my house - always amazed at how plugged up it is! Makes me happy we didn't move farther south.

However, personally I'm selfishly OK with the traffic since it makes for less freeway noise ;-)

Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Default Only 10 more years to endure???

"The entire project could take 10 years or more to complete, CDOT officials have said. According to a 2014 traffic count, more than 60,000 vehicles drive through the corridor between Monument and Castle Rock each day, up about 10,000 from 2004."

CDOT approves $3.75M to study I-25 improvements north of Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

That's not good enough.

Can our politicians do anything about this?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM

269 posts, read 205,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
"The entire project could take 10 years or more to complete, CDOT officials have said. According to a 2014 traffic count, more than 60,000 vehicles drive through the corridor between Monument and Castle Rock each day, up about 10,000 from 2004."

CDOT approves $3.75M to study I-25 improvements north of Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

That's not good enough.

Can our politicians do anything about this?

How about using that $3.75m to add a 3rd lane for maybe a mile more northbound? It may only pay for 1000' of asphalt probably, right?

At least START the expansion up to Castle Rock!

Last Sun. the traffic was backed-up (stop and go) from Monument to just south of Castle Rock at approx. 1p....assumed there was an accident SOMEWHERE but no, just congestion.

Thanks transplants!

Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM

63 posts, read 56,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
How about using that $3.75m to add a 3rd lane for maybe a mile more northbound? It may only pay for 1000' of asphalt probably, right?

At least START the expansion up to Castle Rock!

Last Sun. the traffic was backed-up (stop and go) from Monument to just south of Castle Rock at approx. 1p....assumed there was an accident SOMEWHERE but no, just congestion.

Thanks transplants!
And the most infamous transplant of all, Doug Bruce. You natives drank his Kool-Aid and asked for seconds.

If last Sunday was Sunday the 14th, then your guess is as good as mine on why there was congestion. But with the heavy traffic volume I-25 experiences, it can take a LONG time for traffic to return to normal after an accident clears.

However if last Sunday was Sunday the 7th, don't thank the transplants, thank the hordes of mostly Denverites attending the last day of the Renaissance Festival. (though I'm sure there were plenty from COS & Pueblo)

Now if you want someone to blame, blame CDOT for the Renaissance Mess. Here are some observations I made as a proud resident alien, while stuck in the Renaissance Mess one Sunday six weeks ago:

No metering of the primary on-ramp from the Larkspur I-25 interchange. CDOT should widen the on-ramps there to 18 feet and have traffic queue up in two lanes as is done everyday with major city on-ramps, one vehicle goes on the left lane green, three or four seconds later one vehicle goes on the right lane green. This would help to alleviate the platoons of vehicles trying to enter the main-line of I-25 that causes massive backups. It won't get rid of I-25 congestion completely, but it would still be a dramatic improvement over the current situation during Renaissance weekends.

On-ramp traffic from Larkspur to NB (northbound) I-25 should alternate between two on-ramps. If the main on-ramp to NB I-25 gets too full, NB traffic should be diverted to the next NB on-ramp. where a similar metering arrangement would be employed.

Back to my experience with I-25 six weeks ago: what should have been a 2.5 hour trip at most between COS and Greeley turned into a nearly five hour trek, after which all occupants of our vehicle were a virtual wreck. I've since developed an alternate route between COS and Greeley, and it's my little secret.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,729,301 times
To all the people blaming transplants: when you turned 16, did you pay a lump sum fee to cover all of the infrastructure projects that had come before you? If you sell your house and make a hefty profit due to the transplants, are you willing to donate some of that profit back to the transplants, since we're now trying to allocate funds "fairly"?

Growth has its positives and negatives, but one thing is for sure: living in a city first doesn't mean you have any more right to live in that city than the next person.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 AM

269 posts, read 205,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
And the most infamous transplant of all, Doug Bruce. You natives drank his Kool-Aid and asked for seconds.

If last Sunday was Sunday the 14th, then your guess is as good as mine on why there was congestion. But with the heavy traffic volume I-25 experiences, it can take a LONG time for traffic to return to normal after an accident clears.

However if last Sunday was Sunday the 7th, don't thank the transplants, thank the hordes of mostly Denverites attending the last day of the Renaissance Festival. (though I'm sure there were plenty from COS & Pueblo)

Now if you want someone to blame, blame CDOT for the Renaissance Mess. Here are some observations I made as a proud resident alien, while stuck in the Renaissance Mess one Sunday six weeks ago:

No metering of the primary on-ramp from the Larkspur I-25 interchange. CDOT should widen the on-ramps there to 18 feet and have traffic queue up in two lanes as is done everyday with major city on-ramps, one vehicle goes on the left lane green, three or four seconds later one vehicle goes on the right lane green. This would help to alleviate the platoons of vehicles trying to enter the main-line of I-25 that causes massive backups. It won't get rid of I-25 congestion completely, but it would still be a dramatic improvement over the current situation during Renaissance weekends.

On-ramp traffic from Larkspur to NB (northbound) I-25 should alternate between two on-ramps. If the main on-ramp to NB I-25 gets too full, NB traffic should be diverted to the next NB on-ramp. where a similar metering arrangement would be employed.

Back to my experience with I-25 six weeks ago: what should have been a 2.5 hour trip at most between COS and Greeley turned into a nearly five hour trek, after which all occupants of our vehicle were a virtual wreck. I've since developed an alternate route between COS and Greeley, and it's my little secret.

I'll be passing you on 83/85 on my way to Longmont!!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM

63 posts, read 56,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yup. Colorado State Patrol Twitter has been "tweeting" to advise people to detour off I25 to 83.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
I'll be passing you on 83/85 on my way to Longmont!!

You can't catch me, because I won't be on either of those routes!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 AM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
I drive to Denver about once a month (I'm retired), and although I don't get started until 9 a.m. or later, I usually end up coming back during evening rush. There haven't been that many times that I've experienced a problem. Once driving into Denver in the morning there was an accident near Larkspur that caused quite a delay, and a few times when there was all that construction driving back into COS (but I learned to get off at Interquest Parkway). To me (and I lived in D.C. Beltway traffic for years), the bad part is once you are north of C-470 and through central Denver.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,453,375 times
They need to build a wall so you can't see the other side of i-25. Many of the traffic jams I sit in are caused by rubberneckers looking at a wreck on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or