Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
How come the natives causing these issues (YES, natives) always want to just cut taxes?

As someone who moved to and pays taxes in Colorado I have EVERY right to say how the population boom is causing major issues in Colorado.

Hard to see my state get destroyed by all of the people willing to let it rot.

Yes, new residents definitely can complain about it!
Great post, Mike. Some people forget we're all Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 PM

224 posts, read 732,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
At this point they'd be wise to plan 2 additional lanes each way instead of 1. By the time they get 1 lane put in each way, they'll have the same mess they have now.

I agree. Just expand it to 4 lanes each way and be done with it.

Also it's great that Austin Bluffs is widened to 3 lanes each way and now finally Woodmen, but it seems silly that a major road, Powers is not 3 lanes each way all the way down. It's like they just do the bare minimum on roads. Then everything is constantly congested and overloaded before they make any expansions.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
The long time residents in this state I worry about are those older folks on fixed incomes. How do they pay for increased property taxes and other fees etc... that keep going up year after year? Are they just supposed to "move to a cheaper place" or maybe just eat one or two less meals per week to make ends meet? That does not seem very fair.
Are you aware that Colorado has a "Senior Property Tax Exemption" for residents over age 65 who have lived in their home for ten consecutive years? "50 percent of the first $200,000 of actual value of the applicant’s primary residence is exempted from property tax." Does having that information affect your comments above? FWIW, in the course of my work I've seen literally HUNDREDS of high-net-worth Colorado seniors (as in, liquid financial assets in the $2-5 million range), both CO natives and transplants, male and female, sign themselves up and take advantage of this exemption. Obviously it's not "intended" for them but they're ADAMANT that since they qualify (over age 65, lived in home 10+ years) they're entitled and they're gonna take their exemption. If I've seen hundreds then I suspect the statewide number is in the tens of thousands of folks who don't "really need it" to afford their food etc but take it anyway 'cause you know one less penny to the govt is more money in their pocket yada yada yada...

Like a lot of programs that should probably be means-tested but aren't, the unintended consequence of solving for the fixed-income seniors of modest means property tax "problem" is that everybody else and their mega-rich uncle jumps on the exemption train. In this case, I think the exemption is a sacred cow as seniors of all income/wealth levels vote in disproportionate numbers to other demographics so there's pretty much no politician who'd ever be willing to touch it. Our country/state/county/city is pretty well maxed-out with free-riders of every age, every race, every level of wealth there's not much room left on the train. Maybe it's time to move to Greece. Oh wait.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
To break the road building gridlock, how about this:

1. Pass a law that requires all gasoline tax revenue to be used only for road construction or maintenance. Create an independent quarterly audit done by an accounting firm to ensure compliance.

2. Let the voters decide on the amount of additional gas taxes. More taxation means roads are fixed sooner.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
For those of you who have no problem paying higher taxes...you are sending in extra to the IRS and the Colorado Department of Revenue, right? 'Cause they'll take every extra dollar you give 'em. If you believe in higher taxes, go for it.
This is a common logical error. Someone supporting policies that would affect everyone, and therefore produce very large effects, does not imply that they should be willing to individually take part in those policies if they are not implemented across the board. If I support a tax increase, I'm willing to pay an increased amount in exchange for some change being enacted due to the new tax revenue. That isn't going to happen if I am the only person paying the tax.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is a common logical error. Someone supporting policies that would affect everyone, and therefore produce very large effects, does not imply that they should be willing to individually take part in those policies if they are not implemented across the board. If I support a tax increase, I'm willing to pay an increased amount in exchange for some change being enacted due to the new tax revenue. That isn't going to happen if I am the only person paying the tax.
Just moved to COS last week? Man, it's sure going to be nice to have you posting on these boards. Couldn't have responded better myself.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
When Gov. Owens passed the huge FASTER tax/fee increase many years ago it was to increase the road funding for much needed repairs and expansion.
Yes, and on a state level, they have chosen to address those projects providing the greatest improvement for the greatest number of people, so most improvements have been performed in the Denver metro area ever since. Needless to say, improvements for couple million commuters in Denver create a different perceptions of progress than improvements for the 50,60, or 70k worth of people that commute from Cos.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM

208 posts, read 305,524 times
I'm willing to bet if you add lanes, it'll only take a few years until the traffic is just as bad. It's your typical "induced demand" at work. If you make traffic better, more people will drive it, causing it to slowly get back to being just as bad.

This is an interesting read about I-25's expansion in Denver: After I-25 Was Widened, It Filled Back Up With Cars in Less Than 5 Years | Streetsblog Denver

I still think it would be much better to get relatively "high-speed" rail along the front range. Even if it is only 70mph, it'd still be fantastic.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
i'm pushing for George Jetson flying cars.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 AM

268 posts, read 345,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanen View Post
I'm willing to bet if you add lanes, it'll only take a few years until the traffic is just as bad. It's your typical "induced demand" at work. If you make traffic better, more people will drive it, causing it to slowly get back to being just as bad.

This is an interesting read about I-25's expansion in Denver: After I-25 Was Widened, It Filled Back Up With Cars in Less Than 5 Years | Streetsblog Denver

I still think it would be much better to get relatively "high-speed" rail along the front range. Even if it is only 70mph, it'd still be fantastic.

Excellent information and it was predicted before they ever expanded I25 in Denver.

We need to at least add more lanes to keep up w/ what we have now but long term, yes, we need to think big and have some other methods of getting up and down the Front Range quickly.

Our spineless leaders in Denver probably will have some "studies" in the future to deal w/ these issues.

We can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs