U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 18,568 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering a move to Colorado. The areas we are looking at are in the title. We have friends in Colorado springs that we are visiting in October. We are looking into Schools also and have it narrowed to a couple. In the monument/CS area for the most part but am open to woodland park also.

Our biggest unknown is the jobs market in this area, mainly because we just don't know anything other than internet searches.

I work in construction for a site contractor in an estimator/project manager position and my wife has a graphic design background. We're both mid 30s and make roughly 140k to 150k combined.

What's the job market like for our skills and what do these types of jobs pay like in Colorado?

Thank you!

Last edited by Gui272; 08-18-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times
One could go on for pages about the relative merits of these communities, but the location of your jobs likely will trump all issues, with the possible exception of schools. Use your October visit to scout the job market and you may find your options to be more easily focused. I cannot help you with job availability or salary; I simply do not have the information.

It is axiomatic that the jobs you seek will likely be in Colorado Springs. Certainly it is possible that someone in Woodland Park needs an estimator, but the odds are far, far greater in the Springs.

In the meantime, use the search function to review the dozens upon dozens of posts on these communities. And good luck to you!

Old 08-19-2016, 04:10 AM

We also like the snow. So, we prefer areas that get more snow.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 AM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
I personally have my doubts that you would be able to find positions that result in the same pay, but I also do not know about the cost of living and salary comparisons from where you are coming from. If you want more snow but need to be available for jobs in town, many people look to the Black Forest area, generally speaking.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I personally have my doubts that you would be able to find positions that result in the same pay, but I also do not know about the cost of living and salary comparisons from where you are coming from. If you want more snow but need to be available for jobs in town, many people look to the Black Forest area, generally speaking.
What kind of annual snowfall does black forest get? Does black forest get more snow than Monument?

Cost of living seems cheaper than our current location. Gas /fuel is cheaper for sure, taxes are less exc.

I

Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 AM

Another general question is about emissions testing. I currently have a diesel truck that has no emissions equipment on it. Does Colorado do emissions testing on diesel pickup trucks and is their any chance I'd pass the test with my emissions equipment removed, base on the type of test that's done.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 AM

1,894 posts, read 1,133,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
One could go on for pages about the relative merits of these communities, but the location of your jobs likely will trump all issues, with the possible exception of schools. Use your October visit to scout the job market and you may find your options to be more easily focused. I cannot help you with job availability or salary; I simply do not have the information.

It is axiomatic that the jobs you seek will likely be in Colorado Springs. Certainly it is possible that someone in Woodland Park needs an estimator, but the odds are far, far greater in the Springs.

In the meantime, use the search function to review the dozens upon dozens of posts on these communities. And good luck to you!
Woodland Park, is just "up the hill," from Colorado Springs. We went to Cripple Creek yesterday, and I was thinking how Woodland Park has grown. The town has it's own hospital now and the growth has not seemed to take away it's many charms. Beautiful place, great location. I think there are some 5 acre plots nearby. Really nice homes. I would move there, in a heartbeat!!!!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,011 times
I live on the far north end of Black Forest, up on the Palmer Divide, which is the same ridge that Monument is on. We get probably more snow up here than Black Forest proper, as the elevation is higher. I think the more north you are in Black Forest, generally you will get more snow. It is probably similar snow-wise to Monument here, and perhaps even a little more here.

El Paso County does not require emissions testing anymore, but some of the neighboring counties do. I don't know if your vehicle for some reason would be an exception though, or if there is something weird about newly registered vehicles needing testing? You can call the DMV here and ask them about emissions testing Home

One advantage to Monument and northern Black Forest, is that it places you closer to Denver, and commuting to Denver (at least the south end) is not impossible and many people do it, so you do have alternate job opportunities there if you are willing to make that commute.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I live on the far north end of Black Forest, up on the Palmer Divide, which is the same ridge that Monument is on. We get probably more snow up here than Black Forest proper, as the elevation is higher. I think the more north you are in Black Forest, generally you will get more snow. It is probably similar snow-wise to Monument here, and perhaps even a little more here.

El Paso County does not require emissions testing anymore, but some of the neighboring counties do. I don't know if your vehicle for some reason would be an exception though, or if there is something weird about newly registered vehicles needing testing? You can call the DMV here and ask them about emissions testing Home

One advantage to Monument and northern Black Forest, is that it places you closer to Denver, and commuting to Denver (at least the south end) is not impossible and many people do it, so you do have alternate job opportunities there if you are willing to make that commute.

I think we would be OK with the commute if we needed to do it.

That's the biggest concern. Jobs that pay well. We're both skilled and have good paying jobs now so we're trying to evaluate the market there. It appears that cost of living is cheaper there than here but that could be wronf also I guess.

Nice to know about emissions testing. That's cool that their is no emissions testing in el paso anymore. When did that change??

Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,082,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui272 View Post
Nice to know about emissions testing. That's cool that their is no emissions testing in el paso anymore. When did that change??
They stopped it in 2007. I dug a little deeper on the DMV site and found this though - sounds like diesel vehicles may not be exempt...
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/diesel-vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or