Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,247 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning a 3 family move from California to the Colorado Springs area. We've already been to Denver and didn't like it. Last year we checked out Woodland Park and Woodmoor and that is more what we are looking for. Now I have found some great homes listed in Divide. We are planning another trip this fall to check out Divide as well. How bad is the commute from Divide to CS? We found the commute from CS to Woodland Park to be a breeze, but we were there in October and there was no snow. We want this to be our "forever house" were we can retire so we want to hear from people who already live there to tell us the ups and downs of living in a more rural area like Divide. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 AM

214 posts, read 1,310,127 times
Growing up "south of Divide" my folks made this trip daily. For many years. And I too as far as WP for school. This all however was nearly 30yrs ago. About 15yrs ago after my fathers death my mother moved to CS in part due to this daily commute. She grew tired of the solo trip day in and day out and the costs were escalating; fuel, tires, broken windows, snow tires...etc. etc. The wear and tear will put many, many miles on your vehicle.

She also mentioned the very elevated level of drunk drivers and road warriors not to mention the CC buses taking the blue hairs to the bandits. The risks soon out weighed the rewards and she sold. Keep in mind that few truly live in Divide- Divide is a junction in the road, a couple of small stores and a place to get your mail. I'd factor an additional five miles of (likely dirt) roads be added to your plan.

Good luck, great views to be had, but at a price like anywhere else.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2-3boys View Post
Hi, we are planning a 3 family move from California to the Colorado Springs area. We've already been to Denver and didn't like it. Last year we checked out Woodland Park and Woodmoor and that is more what we are looking for. Now I have found some great homes listed in Divide. We are planning another trip this fall to check out Divide as well. How bad is the commute from Divide to CS? We found the commute from CS to Woodland Park to be a breeze, but we were there in October and there was no snow. We want this to be our "forever house" were we can retire so we want to hear from people who already live there to tell us the ups and downs of living in a more rural area like Divide. Thanks in advance!
I've lived in the Divide area for 13 years, most of that has been commuting to the West side of COS. I use the commute for introspection, as it's a fairly nice quiet drive.

Divide is very rural. very.

The commute is bearable, I'm able to get to Manitou in 30 minutes no matter the road conditions, but you have to watch out for all the other drivers and be very aware of incoming weather. I have never been stranded in COS due to weather, but I am originally from North Dakota, the winter here is pretty weak compared to Prairie Blizzards, all relative I guess.

Pros - 300 + days of sunshine a year, never too hot, rarely too cold, NO BUGS (I saw a mosquito last year)very low humidity, clear blue skies, few neighbors (most people move here for privacy), peace, quiet, views, hikes, camping, nature, wildlife. Serenity Right Now. No real chance of Earthquake, Flood

Cons - no real jobs, no sense of community, not many organized activities, too many tourists in their huge freaking RVs polluting the roads, no real spring or fall seasons (2 weeks?). Weather can be violent at times (lightning, winds, heavy rain, hail). Nighttime is chilly (thin air). Sun is wicked hot and will eat your skin if you don't wear sunscreen (UV is intense at 9200 ft). Most recently, Energy costs are going to be the death of Divide and other areas, too costly for most to commute on a daily basis.

If you can handle the daily commute, don't mind a little extra winter each year and a short growing season, if you love the outdoors and can organize your own entertainment year round, you should be fine. Living in the mountains is about getting out and doing things in the mountains.

If you need to be in the middle of things, need constant action, shopping, dining, Divide will kill your spirit.

The clincher for me is the sunshine and the cobalt blue skies!

Good luck - let me know if you need other info about Divide.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,247 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you both for responding! There is so much to think about. My son and his wife and children will probably stay close to CS due to his job. My daughter and her husband really like Divide. He is from Michigan and no stranger to the snow. My hubby and I are looking at Woodland Park. I would like to be in the mountains without being as rural as Divide. It looks like Woodland Park is a good compromise. We visited there a year ago and really liked it. I'm just not sure how the altitude will affect my Fibromyalgia. I was fine in CS, but when we went up to WP I had a rough time. Anyway...Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,340 times
Default Living in Divide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenwilde View Post
I've lived in the Divide area for 13 years, most of that has been commuting to the West side of COS. I use the commute for introspection, as it's a fairly nice quiet drive.

Divide is very rural. very.

The commute is bearable, I'm able to get to Manitou in 30 minutes no matter the road conditions, but you have to watch out for all the other drivers and be very aware of incoming weather. I have never been stranded in COS due to weather, but I am originally from North Dakota, the winter here is pretty weak compared to Prairie Blizzards, all relative I guess.

Pros - 300 + days of sunshine a year, never too hot, rarely too cold, NO BUGS (I saw a mosquito last year)very low humidity, clear blue skies, few neighbors (most people move here for privacy), peace, quiet, views, hikes, camping, nature, wildlife. Serenity Right Now. No real chance of Earthquake, Flood

Cons - no real jobs, no sense of community, not many organized activities, too many tourists in their huge freaking RVs polluting the roads, no real spring or fall seasons (2 weeks?). Weather can be violent at times (lightning, winds, heavy rain, hail). Nighttime is chilly (thin air). Sun is wicked hot and will eat your skin if you don't wear sunscreen (UV is intense at 9200 ft). Most recently, Energy costs are going to be the death of Divide and other areas, too costly for most to commute on a daily basis.

If you can handle the daily commute, don't mind a little extra winter each year and a short growing season, if you love the outdoors and can organize your own entertainment year round, you should be fine. Living in the mountains is about getting out and doing things in the mountains.

If you need to be in the middle of things, need constant action, shopping, dining, Divide will kill your spirit.

The clincher for me is the sunshine and the cobalt blue skies!

Good luck - let me know if you need other info about Divide.
I too lived in California, So Cal, before moving to CO. We have lived in Teller County for 13 years, and just started our 14th. 9 of them in Divide where we build our home. Not mentioned previously is the WIND.... it is Windy in Divide unless you live in the forest and then you won't get the sun and you'll have snow on the ground longer then most. We have a almost constant breeze of 9mph, I've thought many times about putting up a wind generator.

Also most of Teller County is Dirt... Dirt Roads, Dirt in the Air... clean air but you will have a thin layer on your tables unless you keep your house closed up. You will get a crack in your windshield with in 1 week of arriving. We all just live with it.

I work from home so I don't have to go down the mtn very much and I limit, or try to limit that to one time per week. The Wal-Mart in Woodland Park has helped but there are still times when what you need isn't up here. Divide restaurants ...LOL ... go to Woodland Park. The Divide Post Office is in a handy location, we are getting a new convience store, should be finished by summer. The County Sherriff is in Divide along with the Jail and the trash transfer station. At some time in the future most of the county offices will be in Divide, it is near center in the county.

With all that said we are looking to leave all of this for a location that will give us 4 seasons be a little closer to 'people'. My wife doesn't like the 7-8 months of no flowers outside... yep at 9200 ft there is not much of a growing season and given the deer and the elk like to eat flowers then you deal with that too. I still can't think of a better place to come for the summer. It is beautiful and not having to put up with high elec bills to stay cool. If I could have 2 houses I would. One for the winter and one for the summer.

FYI Divide is not named for the Continental Divide... that is about 60 miles to the west. Divide is named such as it is a watershed divide, one side runs to the Arkansas River and the other side runs to the Platte... we're a mini continental divide.

Let me know if I can be of any further help

Here's a couple of photo link that I've posted to Google Earth

[URL]http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/2507350.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/898528.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by mncallen; 05-06-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,601 times
Those pictures are gorgeous!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 13,749 times
I moved to CO from So.Cal. many years ago - welcome!

You're right, it's a gorgeous drive along Ute Pass (Hwy24) to/from WP. All things considered, it 's the best 45 min commute around. During winter Hwy24 is kept pretty well plowed & driveable. However, that totally changes past the town of WP heading toward Divide, where Hwy24 curves. I live along this stretch, and it can be extremely icy, low visibility, and generally difficult to maneuver. If you're in CS at the time a storm starts to hit, leave for home earlier than you think you need to. Weather tends to move quickly in CO and it can go from bad to harrowing in the hour or so it takes to get up the pass during a snowstorm. Always keep in mind that the conditions in WP/Divide will be more intense than in CS or Manitou Spgs.

"Thinking Green" aside, it's definitely a good idea to keep at least one 4-wheel drive or high clearance vehicle around when you live in Teller County. A front wheel drive car can serve you well most months, but learn to put on tire chains - you will rely on them at least a couple times each winter.

That said, the solitude and natual beauty of the mountains is hard to beat, especially if you have a bit of a "roughing it" spirit. You can find more home for your money in The Divide area compared to WP, and certainly compared to Manitou or most areas of CS.

If you rely upon shopping, nearby conveniences and plenty to choose from (varieties of grocery stores, retail, movies, restaurants etc.) Divide and WP will be a big adjustment. Running out of butter is not a 10 minute jog to the market - and there's likely only 1 place to go. For choices you'll need to be willing to venture into CS, and most people plan a weekly trip or something like that.

Also, Pikes Peak hospital recently opened along Hwy24 past WP, it now handles most procedures but some things, we discovered, still require a trip to one of the hospitals in CS.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM

52 posts, read 230,263 times
Hear are a couple pict's I took with my cell phone last year while working up in divide. As you can see It's beautiful, but can be hard on a vehical.

(broken link)

(broken link)

(broken link)

(broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs