Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 PM

325 posts, read 371,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl View Post
I was wondering, and I am gently asking- why I have been told more than once not to tell anyone in Colorado we are from Texas... Why? It sounds ridiculous! My husband and I are friendly and outgoing, not obnoxious, and do not intrude on people. Just wondering. Also my son says the people at his work are always talking badly abt Texans as well??? Don't want to step on toes! We love it here!
I'm from Texas and make no attempts to hide my accent. I've lived here a collective of four years and have never heard this. Not sure what type of people you're running into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
Quote:
I was wondering, and I am gently asking- why I have been told more than once not to tell anyone in Colorado we are from Texas... Why? It sounds ridiculous! My husband and I are friendly and outgoing, not obnoxious, and do not intrude on people. Just wondering. Also my son says the people at his work are always talking badly abt Texans as well??? Don't want to step on toes! We love it here!
It sounds ridiculous because it is ... those lines on a US map aren't really there.

Last edited by mtngigi; 12-31-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
...Also, don't be one of those jackwagon cheapskates who refuse to register their cars here because it's more expensive than Texas.
We were showing out-of-state visitors around CoS last week and they were the ones who commented that a different car with Texas tags was in front of us at every stoplight. The game continued on the way back to Denver. This is not something I paid attention to before, but it's on my radar now.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
I'm from Texas and make no attempts to hide my accent. I've lived here a collective of four years and have never heard this. Not sure what type of people you're running into!
Probably Texans.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
OP, it is not just Texans. Us former California residents get flack too. But like others have said don't talk too much about how things are done in Texas and you should fit in fine.

That being said my wife and I have noticed there are a lot more Texas plates lately. People want to move here because it is good.

I am kind of a "native" now because I have an anchor child. I now have been here 18 years this month.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
There's no reason to hide the fact that you are from Texas. The best thing that will happen by just being your friendly Texas self is that you'll quickly identify and weed out the idiots who hate you simply because you are from Texas.

I would gladly trade a friendly Texan for a grumpy territorial Coloradan any day of the week. Welcome to Colorado

Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
We were showing out-of-state visitors around CoS last week and they were the ones who commented that a different car with Texas tags was in front of us at every stoplight. The game continued on the way back to Denver. This is not something I paid attention to before, but it's on my radar now.

Its not just Texas and it isn't limited to just around military bases. My kids often joke how we can be sitting at a stop light and have a 50/50 split of cars tagged with Colorado plates, and plates from somewhere else. On any given trip to school or events, we can easily count 8-12 different states represented by their plates.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 AM

235 posts, read 355,402 times
An old story from way back when ... One winter there was an old VW spotted in downtown Crested Butte with a home made bumper sticker that said, "If God meant for Texans to ski, he would have given them mountains." A few weeks later, a big white Cadillac with Texas plates rolled into town with a home made bumper sticker that said, "If God meant for Coloradans to ski, he would have given them money."

Texas has long viewed Colorado as it's backyard. Huge portions of the state's real estate (particularly in the southern portion) are owned as 2nd homes, ranches, retreats by Texans & they have long been resented for driving up real estate prices. And though it certainly doesn't apply to all Texans, many of those who vacation here bring a general attitude of entitlement with them that has rubbed locals the wrong way for decades.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 AM

208 posts, read 305,495 times
Texans (in general) that show up in Colorado seem to have a really hard time letting go of Texas. We get to hear about how better everything in Texas is. That gets old after a while. I've only lived here a couple of years, and Texans are the only ones I've met that do that.

Then, if you see a massive, jacked up truck billowing black smoke, driving like a maniac, it's likely got Texas plates on from what I've experienced.

That's why I cringe when someone tells me they are from Texas.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:

No matter where you go, there will be some people who give you crap about where you come from. When I first moved to Texas, I took crap about being from Indiana. When I 1st moved to Indiana from KY, I took crap about being from KY. I never took too much offense. I took it as just kidding around and I'd always give it back as good as I got.

Here in Austin, the Californian's take alot of verbal abuse about being from California. I'm pretty sure it's mostly all in fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs