U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,499,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Rainman View Post
I spoke to someone in COS the other day and he told me that he regrets not moving there 20 years earlier. I live just outside Philly and love mountain biking and the great outdoors. Oddly enough, I just applied for a pest control job today and saw the previous posts here !

I have a few q's.
How much snow a year ?
Summer high temp ?
Winter low temp ?
300 days of sunshine/year ?
I guess there are plenty of clubs/bars ?
Alot of trails for hiking/biking ?
Canyon roads for my sportbike ?

Thanks ! Larry

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html
http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...ecreation.html
http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...d-Climate.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM

165 posts, read 384,074 times
Housing in and around the Springs is amazingly cheap, I couldn't believe it. Rentals and purchases. I am in a similar situation, single no kids, I drove out to the area from Chicago two weeks ago to check it out and look at places.

I don't know a single person there, though I do have some family in Denver and Aspen. The job market is not something I can comment on but I heard it's fairly indicative of the rest of the country; fairly tight. I don't really work all of the time so I don't know what it's like.

For myself I picked Manitou Springs, just west of CSprings, and am currently going through the packing process. I move next week sometime I think. Good luck to you.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM

Dear lord I didn't notice how old the original post was. Maybe some housekeeping is in order?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 AM

454 posts, read 1,065,978 times
Hey Blue the Springs is housing is pretty cheap on rentals but Manitou isn't IMO. Yeah it is a old post but it is good to keep them active so that new people can get CURRENT info from them.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 AM

179 posts, read 498,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackinBugMan View Post
Whats the real truth about living in the Springs. Given my background, education and current living situation, does anyone think that I could successfully make a go at living in the Springs? What kind of work is available to someone with my background? What about renting costs? The perverbial "singles scene?" Anyone on here been in my situation before?
Hi Tim,

only thing I can tell ya from when we lived there: Its gonna be what you make outta it. Yes cost living can become a lil higher then your AL, TN area's, but you can also find decent priced places- Dep what you're willing to settle for/ pay for.
If you've AF backround I'd def suggest to you to work as civ for the military (Peterson Airforce base, Ft Carson etc).
Go for it!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Well, I did not look at rentals anywhere but downtown COSprings and west of there up to Cascade, I thought there were all extremely reasonable.

As for Manitou, I have seen decent apartments at less than $600/mo and nice houses for less than $900/mo, all within a short distance of the main drag, some right on it. If you are willing to live in a more rundown spot, even cheaper. Obviously you can find nicer and more expensive places. My original limit of $1500/mo showed me places that I really really do not need for just one person.

For a so-called 'pricey' and 'touristy' city, I think it is amazingly cheap.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

252 posts, read 814,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSimple View Post

For a so-called 'pricey' and 'touristy' city, I think it is amazingly cheap.

Compared to Chicago, it is !

Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Chicago is no comparison.

I've lived in lots of different cities of different sizes, it's still cheap.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM

252 posts, read 814,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
You may have to work a couple of jobs to make ends meet, but there's 4 military bases here in town (Peterson, Cheyenne Mt., Schriever, and Ft. Carson) and you can probably find something...anything, and then keep looking for something better.

Terytee
Don't forget the Air Force Academy, that's 5 military bases and all hire lots of contractors at reasonable pay. It's kind of hard to get into civil service right now in some areas, but others are thriving. I'm sure you could find something if you keep looking.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 PM

67 posts, read 245,172 times
I'm considering moving to the Springs--right now the decision is between there and Philadelphia.

I visited the Springs last week. I nearly fainted when I stepped out and saw the Rockies. Your city is beautiful. And based on this little apartment booklet I picked up, the apartments are very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or