Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 253,281 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody!

I'll apologize in advance if this posts seems to lack direction and/or focus. I am seriously contemplating a move to the Springs and have found so many conflicting reports, I am having a hard time getting the truth.

So here is a little background for ya. I am a 28 year old divorced male from NJ. Not too much education behind me, I do however have my AA degree as well as 4 years served in the USAF. Right now I work in the pest control industry here in NJ and I am barely getting by, (I work two jobs to make about 45K a year).

I have travelled and explored the American West many times and absolutley love everything about Colorado. My lifestyle and interests really do not gel well with a NJ lifestyle, I actually travel pretty often to accomodate my interests, ie. hiking, backpacking, canyoneering.

Whats the real truth about living in the Springs. Given my background, education and current living situation, does anyone think that I could successfully make a go at living in the Springs? What kind of work is available to someone with my background? What about renting costs? The perverbial "singles scene?" Anyone on here been in my situation before?

I am definitley not a person of many means. I simply just need to provide for myself. Looking for a better way of life for myself. Any input or comments anyone feels like sharing would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post or leave a private message. Thanks Again!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 07:19 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
I think it all depends on you brutha. You can make a go of anything. It might not be easy in the beginning, but nothing worth while ever is. I'm an Air Force retiree (enlisted). I just left the AF last month. I hit the job boards very hard, put a resume' everywhere I conceivably could and landed a job before I left the D.C. area.

I'm not making nearly the same money as I would if I stayed in D.C., but I moved here for the lifestyle. The bright sunny days and incredible mountain views always put a smile on my face. You may have to work a couple of jobs to make ends meet, but there's 4 military bases here in town (Peterson, Cheyenne Mt., Schriever, and Ft. Carson) and you can probably find something...anything, and then keep looking for something better.

Good luck friend.

Terytee

Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Tain't many bugs out here, no termites either. A bug guy here could be as lonely as the Maytag repairman....

Terytee tells you correctly, a lot of jobs pay a bit less here than in DC, but I lived in that area for 31 years, and my house here is half the price of a house back there, so it's more than relative.

You'll be fine. Follow your dream.

s/Mike

Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies..

This is something that I have to stop thinking so much about and just do it! I figure if I can survive in NJ with our pollution, over-populated, over-taxed ways of life, I can make it in the Springs. Im breaking my back now here for nothing, at least if I had to do the same in the Springs I would be doing so in a better environment and among more like-minded people. Thanks again for both your comments. Looking to be in the Springs no later than late spring.

Tim

Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 AM

45 posts, read 334,508 times
The last time I moved to the Springs I had a wife and two little kids with me. We got there with no car and $500 (in 1993). Within two years I had my own business and did pretty well. The opportunities are there. That is one reason I am moving back. If you have the drive and the abilitiy to try and learn new things you will be fine.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
FWIW, I don't make a lot of $ but I do make ends meet okay. I make a lot less than you and I live (rent) a three bedroom house, drive a 1993 Honda (many of the kids in my hood drive better cars than me!) and somehow survive.

But if you can do a job that pays okay, you will do well here. CS is a nice place but a little weird for singles, in my opinion. I am single and the life for singles here is much different than say Denver.

With that said, I would rather live here (although I liked Denver) than live in Denver.

It's okay here. If you are the spirtual sort you will find life more fulfilled with church activities and such. HOWEVER, they do have a lot of adult sporting programs here too. Heck my brother is well, um, 43 and is involved in a hockey league. The even have a women's hockey league I have been meaning to join so there are things for adults to do outside of going to the bars.

Dang, you are 10 years my junior. ;-) hehe.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 AM

Default Good Advice...

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond.

At this point in my life I figure I have nothing to loose, nothing ventured nothing gained. Making the move out west is something that I have to at least try. New Jersey is just plain horrible anymore. Having done a little math, I figure my cost of living is 52% of what I make each year (at least). I rent a "cheap" apartment for $850 a month, not including utilities.

Having looked around online, I am finding most apartments to be around the $425-$525 range in the Springs. Of course I wont be making the same amount of money that I do here in NJ, but it should all be pretty relative to the cost of living. The way I see it, I'll still have to work just as much as I do now, but like I mentioned in a previous post, at least I'l be doing so in a better environment.

I am in the process of exploring a transfer to one of my companies sister organizations (Orkin Pest Control). Hopefully that will come to fruition, but if not, I am still making the move. Again, I appreciate all your input.

Tim

Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
FWIW, as I said I live in a three bedroom house. My rent is cheap compared to others since I rent from a friend of mine but it's only around $950 a month and no, that doesn't include utilities but after a couple of years I got on with the budget billing program with http://www.csu.org

One nice thing about CSU (not the university hehe) is that we are a city owned utility so they can't make a profit. Our utilities are much lower than other cities. CSU distributes the electric, water and gas. They buy when they can to lock in lower rates. Our water has been iffy in the last few years but it's in line with other water providers in the state even though the drought really sacked them. I am kind of mad at them as my sewer bill is at $20 a month (the rate it based on your lowest bills from December to I think February) which it used to be under $9 back in 2004. CSU has had some problems with sewage releases in the past couple of years which has provoked Pueblo into sueing CSU. They've upped the rates to build a better waste water system I think.

Anyhow, like I said, I make a lot less than you and yes Orkin is in our city. They don't focus as much on termites and such as they do critters like field mice and the like.

You may take a drop in pay but you will live well I am sure. $850 for a bargain apartment? Holy cow, that's the suck!

Keep in mind though, your food bill and fuel for your car will be a bit higher. Seafood here sucks too. I don't eat it myself but the shrimp (which I do eat) is not nearly as good here. A good sea bass (which is something I also like) is around $18 or more a pound for fresh and the frozen is just ick while cheap. There are a few good places to get fresh seafood but it's not cheap.

However, the local produce in the summer around here, devine. The cantalopes, the peaches (from the Grand Junction area, specifically Palisade), the sweet Olathe corn (craving some now you don't even need to cook the stuff).

Colorado is a great place to be adventurous.

If you don't have one, save up to buy a good camara. So much to photograph around here.

Welcome to our state and our city. I hope it's all that you need.

Keep in touch with us and let us know what you end up doing. I am sure there are a few people here that wouldn't mind being your friend. I meet people all the time from the internet and have had nothing but wonderful experiences. In fact the house I live in is owned by my best friend who I met on AOL back in 1995.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:25 PM

15 posts, read 122,476 times
my husband and i just moved to the springs ! its an awesome fresh start go for it nj is toooo expensive

Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 AM

53 posts, read 451,735 times
Default More than make up for it in mountains

I think you know this, but any struggles you have will be more than made up for by the outdoor activities.

Its awesome. You can find groups that do that and you will find like minded single people both male and female.

You won't have much trouble and you will have a blast playing outside around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs