U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM

15,226 posts, read 22,810,077 times

Advertisements

"Want to move to Colorado from WI - but where can I afford a house?"
In many dying rural towns.

This is what you get for $109K in a small city.
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Greeley/11.../home/35422338

The big city is a bit more.
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/444.../home/34059576

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-21-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM

22,641 posts, read 41,521,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Want to move to Colorado from WI - but where can I afford a house?"
In many dying rural towns.

This is what you get for $109K in a small city.
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Greeley/11.../home/35422338

The big city is a bit more.
https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/444.../home/34059576
Real estate has gone through the looking glass, down the rabbit hole and into bizarro world....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 PM

6,291 posts, read 2,958,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzero1134 View Post
Is it true most houses don't have central AC because you just don't really need it?

This is what concerns me and is holding me back: Housing, and Income. I own a 4 bed ranch for $110,000. With escrow, property taxes, etc. I'm paying $850/mo. My wife is working towards being an office assistant, but currently make about $20,500 a year.

So, that's my main concern - can I really afford to live in CO?
I've condensed the original post to what I consider the key matters. The first point though might be a difference of opinion. Tons of natives seem fine living without A/C. My wife - who happens to be from WI - and I both though are in complete agreement that you need A/C through the long hot summer months (May through September). Since you won't know for sure how it would be for you, so you really need to factor that into your budget/plans.

The income and cost of living points are a deal-breaker though. You aren't going to find the cost of living here that you have there. Without getting a significantly higher income to match the higher cost of living here, it will not make sense. You'll have to do the math. In the most basic of terms, you'll have to compare all costs in both locations, sum them up, come up with a % increase factor for CO (how much higher overall it would be), then find a job (or jobs) that will be at least of the same % higher. That's still a roll of the dice, and doesn't give you much wiggle room.

There would be cultural differences too that you might not even be considering. You might not even like the difference, or like being away from your roots and family/friends. There's a lot to consider. You've got to resist your vacation-mode thinking, and substitute it for real, day-day living, with real costs and real considerations. It's not something to run quickly through or think lightly of.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM

1,023 posts, read 600,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I find it odd that someone who is complaining about winter weather is considering a move to Colorado.
I don't find it odd at all. It depends on what you're used to. We moved from Mpls to CO partially to get away from winter & we absolutely have. The "winter" on the front range is not even winter to my husband & I. Hell, it's 50 degrees half the time, that's not winter. To me, CO (more accurately front range) winters, are super mild!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 AM

3,583 posts, read 2,743,956 times
Most auto sales help wanted ads locally boast about $75k annual income. Certainly some will be higher and some lower.

Many people do get by without a/c. While we do not have the heavy, humid heat of WI that is all pervading, we do get some pretty hot days where retiring to a/c cooled areas is nice. The dry air and prolific pollens produced by the plants here mean that some people will absolutely want a/c to avoid breathing the pollen all night long and waking up sounding like they are at the tail-end of a week long head cold.

Expect a number of living expenses to really go up. Car insurance, plates, and the like will shock you. If you are a sportsman and like to fish or hunt, expect radical changes in those expenses as well as a big change in regulations.

Population density here is radically different too. We don't have small little towns with full services within 30-40 minutes of major metros that you can drawn people from. So choosing to live in a smaller town will mean reductions in expenses, but also reductions in income potential. You could look at living in a fringe town like Hanover, Fountain, or Peyton and driving into COS for work and play.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:21 AM

5,822 posts, read 6,026,480 times
As for central AC, I don't have it and don't want it. When we built our house (at 6600 ft) we included a whole house fan that draws in outside air and exhausts it through the attic at the top of the stairs.

In the summer, the temp quickly drops to about 55 deg after the sun goes down. We open the windows, and that fan quickly cools the entire house.

On hot summer days we do well with just one window AC unit in the family room. It easily cools the kitchen too.

That overall lower cost to cool helps offset the high summer water bills.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 AM

90,272 posts, read 108,160,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I know Appleton a bit, but I moved here from MSP, so very similar to where you're at. Best thing we ever did. The summers are dry, though we do have a monsoon season, where it can rain more than usual, but it's nothing compared to the midwest & it's not constant. Depending on where you live, winters are a breeze, again in comparison to MN/WI. Anywhere on the front range, you will find winters to be heaven. Basically it snows, then it usually melts in a day or two. Remember all that sunshine? It melts the snow really fast, plus the sun is stronger at this altitude (well, the sun is not really stronger, but it seems that way). Even huge snowfalls, which we do get, do not last all winter, like they do in the midwest.

It's not true that no one has A/C. I'd heard that too, but lots of people have A/C. We didn't have it for a few years & some years were ok, others not so great. We wouldn't go without A/C...again, on the front range. It may be different if you're up at 8K feet or more.
I'd like to address the bolds.

1. Although it's called "monsoon", it's not what most people think of when they hear "monsoon". It means it may rain every afternoon, or maybe every other afternoon or so, for 10-15 minutes, at most 1/2 hour or so. This may happen for a couple of weeks in July. After the rain, it's bright and sunny again, not hot and muggy like in the midwest after a rain.

2. A/C. Lots of different opinions about it. We struggled for 25 years over the decision. Our house had a whole house fan in it when we bought it. It's terribly loud, we call it "the train". That's about what it sounds like. It doesn't help during the day, either. It's best for at night when it cools off.

We bought a big room A/C for our kitchen, and it kept the parts of the house we use a lot cool enough (kitchen, family room). However, the bedrooms upstairs would get hot and stay pretty hot, especially after several days of hot weather. Hot here in metro Denver means into the upper 90s, BTW. We tried a room A/C upstairs, because the floor plan up there isn't as open as downstairs, it only kept the room it was in cool. We have ceiling fans in every room in the house upstairs, plus the kitchen and guest room downstairs. These all helped. Finally, after several hot summers and seeing our neighbors get central air and loving it, we got central air. Some summers we use it a lot, others, not so much.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:40 AM

1,023 posts, read 600,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Finally, after several hot summers and seeing our neighbors get central air and loving it, we got central air. Some summers we use it a lot, others, not so much.
ITA with everything you said. I know what monsoon season is now, but you're right, I had a totally different picture of what it meant when I would hear my mom in the SW refer to it.

Everyone's A/C or lack thereof experiences are different. We caved at around 6 years, we would have gone longer, but our dog was having a hard time with it & he was our first priority. Once we got it though, we used it every year! One of the main reasons though is something OP should probably know...the houses here are very close together if you're in a newer (meaning last 25 yrs or so) neighborhood. Having moved here from Mpls, it was a real shock. B/C the houses are so close together, you can get a lot of neighbor noise. We ran our A/C for years every day b/c the neighbors had 3 kids who liked to play sports outside. Even our city house in Mpls had a lot more room between neighbors & our suburban houses there had huge yards by CO stds & lots of space between houses. You don't find that so much around here & you wouldn't believe the BS I had to go through to have a Mpls-size yard here, as the HOA thought we were nuts & made a big deal out of it.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM

5,822 posts, read 6,026,480 times
In the lowlands of Denver, 5280 ft, I'd definitely have a whole house AC installed.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 PM

1,010 posts, read 665,725 times
I've heard people say they have A/C so they can close windows when it gets windy and dusty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or