Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM

49 posts, read 138,139 times

Advertisements

It's looking like our Colorado Springs move is really happening!! My husband has decided we are going to have a house built. We are looking for custom building lots in school District 20 or 38. Does anyone have any suggestions on neighborhoods or areas where there are nice lots to have a custom home built? He found a neighborhood Called Pioneer preserve that he really likes in the Palmer lakes area; however, I am concerned because I think it's by the railroad track. Anybody know if that railroad track is used much? Also some lots in Red Rock Ranch or preserve and lastly Forest View Estates. We would love to have half an acre up to 10 acres, need to spend under $300,000 on the lot. I am so afraid of picking a place and then later find out it has a big issue. We'd love views, trees and access to trails.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
That's a busy rail line, lots of coal trains every day. Try to stay at least a mile from that line and from I-25 to avoid constant highway noise.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Yup, like Mike said, that RR track is very busy!

There are some nice hoods for what you're looking for on Hwy 83, most just north of Baptist Rd on 83, which I believe is called Hodgen there & going up towards 105. Mostly 5 acre lots. I can't remember any of the stupid names they have for these hoods, but there are 2 beautiful ones I can picture that I checked out, but neither allowed fences & one had water issues (to me), one is more plains, no trees, it's on the west side of 83, the other is on the E side of 83, heavily treed (though some plains lots) & very expensive, but quite beautiful. Hopefully those descriptions will jar someone else's memory. The west side one I think has cherry or crossing in the name. There are probably not D-20, they are probably Monument school district, but I'm not positive.

There are also nice lots on 105 on the west side of I-25 from around Palmer Lake up to Perry Park, but they are usually much larger ranchette parcels & more expensive. There are actually some pretty famous people who have retired on that stretch, including "Foxy Brown" :-) I would personally stay away from the town of Palmer Lake itself. There always seems to be some problem going on there.

Welcome!

Old 05-06-2017, 02:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Duh...Cherry Creek Crossing - west side of 83, mostly 5 acres, some 2 1/2. Last I looked abt 2 yrs ago, still lots left. Here's their HOA page. I sent an EM to my realtor to get the names of the other ones I'm thinking of. I'll post when he replies.

Cherry Creek Crossing

Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,823 times
Here's some railfan video showing just how busy the rail line between Colorado Springs and Denver is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tCr1kjLxaM

Old 05-06-2017, 11:27 PM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
If you got that kind of money, fly out for a weekend to meet your Realtor and choose a lot on-site.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 AM

49 posts, read 138,139 times
Thank you guys so much! Your information has been so helpful! If you think of anymore areas/neighborhoods please share. We don't mind if it's not in an actual neighborhood and a bit rural. We are both coming down there in two weeks, and I'd like to have a nice list of areas to look at. My husband just returned last night, and did say it was a bit strange that you would see a trailer on one street and half million dollar house on the next. Any areas we can avoid that feeling? Also where exactly is the "town of Palmer lakes". In my real estate search I don't see anything in that specific town. Why would we want to avoid that area? Is it not very nice? Thanks again! We are getting excited!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
There is nothing wrong with Palmer Lake. It's a quaint little town, small lake, near a few nice trailheads, some good restaurants. Yes, the main part of town is near the rail tracks, but most of the homes there are older. Use zip 80133 if you want to search for it on websites.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:06 AM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
Red Rock Ranch in the Monument / Palmer Lake area is very nice. You won't find trailers across the street. Just big lots and expansive views.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:59 PM

670 posts, read 1,053,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Palmer Lake. It's a quaint little town, small lake, near a few nice trailheads, some good restaurants. Yes, the main part of town is near the rail tracks, but most of the homes there are older. Use zip 80133 if you want to search for it on websites.
I agree the town of Palmer Lake is a little gem but it is difficult to find housing in the town itself, not much comes up for sale in the area and when it does it gets snapped up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs