Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
Meh too expensive. The whole n cali/Portland/Seattle thing doesn't appeal to me for some reason. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Too expensive and too crowded is why most people leave there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
The issue I see is that when you combine all the desirable qualities you want, prices tend to escalate rapidly and create a barrier to admission. This is why places like northern CA, Summit County CO, and Boulder all are expensive. If you find a place that is truly inexpensive to reasonably priced for access to property, there is usually a reason, or several, behind that, and that tends to impact all the amenities around it. So this is a tough balancing act to achieve in our computerized age where anyone anywhere can search out these little niches and migrate there rapidly.

I agree that not all small towns are conservative, and there are plenty of them in Colo that would decent places to raise families with reasonably decent performing schools, but not all are reasonably priced anymore and not all have mild weather all of the time and you will need to deal with inhospitable weather at least occasionally to regularly. I also think if you view Cos as a cultural wasteland, why in the world consider places like Woodland Park, Larkspur, Durango, or Corrales. But perhaps your view of culture is considerably different than mine.

Since you seem to be leaning more towards more southerly exposure, you might also look into Monte Vista or Del Norte down in the San Luis valley. Sargent school district is accessible from either of these and is a reasonably high performing district and has test scores that are above those in Woodland Park. Also on par with that and also in the southern part of the state is the North Conejos District in La Jara, Sanford District in Sanford, and the Sangre De Cristo district in Alamosa and Mosca, although you may be put off by attending a district literally named The Blood of Christ. Further out west nearer to Grand Junction is the Meek District in Rio Blanco County. This area, while having some winter temps and occasional snow, is more high mountain desert than even the Front Range. Prices in any of these areas may be as reasonable as it gets in Colorado while still having access to other amenities. Although I'd call it a stretch that any of them provide any more high culture than the local movie house or senior prom. They all have plenty of local culture though.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:18 PM

61 posts, read 87,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
The issue I see is that when you combine all the desirable qualities you want, prices tend to escalate rapidly and create a barrier to admission. This is why places like northern CA, Summit County CO, and Boulder all are expensive. If you find a place that is truly inexpensive to reasonably priced for access to property, there is usually a reason, or several, behind that, and that tends to impact all the amenities around it. So this is a tough balancing act to achieve in our computerized age where anyone anywhere can search out these little niches and migrate there rapidly.

I agree that not all small towns are conservative, and there are plenty of them in Colo that would decent places to raise families with reasonably decent performing schools, but not all are reasonably priced anymore and not all have mild weather all of the time and you will need to deal with inhospitable weather at least occasionally to regularly. I also think if you view Cos as a cultural wasteland, why in the world consider places like Woodland Park, Larkspur, Durango, or Corrales. But perhaps your view of culture is considerably different than mine.

Since you seem to be leaning more towards more southerly exposure, you might also look into Monte Vista or Del Norte down in the San Luis valley. Sargent school district is accessible from either of these and is a reasonably high performing district and has test scores that are above those in Woodland Park. Also on par with that and also in the southern part of the state is the North Conejos District in La Jara, Sanford District in Sanford, and the Sangre De Cristo district in Alamosa and Mosca, although you may be put off by attending a district literally named The Blood of Christ. Further out west nearer to Grand Junction is the Meek District in Rio Blanco County. This area, while having some winter temps and occasional snow, is more high mountain desert than even the Front Range. Prices in any of these areas may be as reasonable as it gets in Colorado while still having access to other amenities. Although I'd call it a stretch that any of them provide any more high culture than the local movie house or senior prom. They all have plenty of local culture though.
All fair points- thank you for making them. It's a Blanancing act act for sure. I've looked over the state real estate wise, and while some places are certainly more expensive, I could afford to live just about anywhere save aspen/telluride/vail/boulder.

When I say culture I am using it in the sense of local culture/history, not high culture (operas, ballets, concerts, sports, theatre, etc). So in this sense Corrales is very rich in culture.

I am not into the San Luis valley. Too remote. I'll just go south to New Mexico at that point.

While I am liberal, I cannot stand the yuppification of the boulder/superior/Westminster corridor, and would not consider living there, even if I could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs