Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Hello all, as I said, I was born in Leadville in 1981 and just moved back to my home state a few months ago. I have to say, while I am VERY happy here, I am also (almost equal in intensity) saddened by what I see and hear. Am I the only one that is put off by hearing a loud booming car stereo go by just about every three or four minutes or seeing a lot of homeless people and just plain shady characters meandering about? We live near the Cheyenne mountain/Broadmoor area and wouldn't have expected such a (dare I say it)..."ghetto" feel of the place. Like I said I am unbelievably relieved to be back in my state of birth but I am perturbed by what it's become/becoming. Are the "good ol' days" of the springs over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,426,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
Hello all, as I said, I was born in Leadville in 1981 and just moved back to my home state a few months ago. I have to say, while I am VERY happy here, I am also (almost equal in intensity) saddened by what I see and hear. Am I the only one that is put off by hearing a loud booming car stereo go by just about every three or four minutes or seeing a lot of homeless people and just plain shady characters meandering about? We live near the Cheyenne mountain/Broadmoor area and wouldn't have expected such a (dare I say it)..."ghetto" feel of the place. Like I said I am unbelievably relieved to be back in my state of birth but I am perturbed by what it's become/becoming. Are the "good ol' days" of the springs over?

MUCH bigger city and a lot more people living in Colorado than in 81. Population of the city is more than doubled in that time span and population of the county is approaching 3/4 million. I think many of us feel nostalgic but the times when things were quieter and we were more of a small town. Have to look for the good things that come with increased population.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,382,038 times
We were also kind of shocked by the number of "sketchy" people when we moved here last fall. It didn't seem to be that way in years past when we visited.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM

812 posts, read 1,463,384 times
Quote:
Are the "good ol' days" of the springs over?
The "good ol' days" of pretty much everywhere are pretty much over. I don't want to get overly "deep" here but that has always been the case in all times and in all places. The only thing that stays constant is that everything constantly changes, often dramatically so.

I will spare you the "demographics" lecture I'd so fondly like to insert here, the one about urbanization, globalization, about people fleeing economic and environmental conditions on both East/West coasts with the Colorado Front Range as one of few attractive/viable alternatives, about the effects of 40-50 years of job loss, de-unionization, automation, and a collective shift of attitude that favors the "me" over the "we." All these demographic changes and more show up on the streets of our cities and Colorado Springs is no different. Why would it be different?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,911,818 times
Quote:
I live in the same area and I literally have no idea why you would think that. Its very quiet, almost too quiet one could say.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-21-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 12:57 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,252,672 times
If you are 35 yrs old or younger booming subwoofers are a requirement in your vehicle. It is necessary to announce your arrival from at least 2 blocks away to ever neighborhood you are driving through.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
MUCH bigger city and a lot more people living in Colorado than in 81. Population of the city is more than doubled in that time span and population of the county is approaching 3/4 million. I think many of us feel nostalgic but the times when things were quieter and we were more of a small town. Have to look for the good things that come with increased population.
Care to expand or give examples?

I see very few (if any) benefits.

Been up to Denver on I-25 lately?

Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Care to expand or give examples?

I see very few (if any) benefits.

Been up to Denver on I-25 lately?
Lots of benefits higher property values for one.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,177,901 times
And higher taxes (most of the time) as a result. Sure- sell now at a higher price and then try to find another similar place at a higher price?

This is what I see:

1. Reservations required at most campgrounds now.

2. Endless sprawl

3. The infrastructure (esp. highways) is not in place to handle the numbers of people here now, let alone in the future (yes- I grew up here).

4. Waiting 2 or 3 cycles to get through most intersections on Powers before/after work.

And your house "value" is only good if you sell the house- may make some feel "richer" but that is all on paper until you actually sell.

OOPS!! Forgot about those darn capital gains when you sell.......oh well.

Last edited by LHS79; 06-21-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And higher taxes (most of the time) as a result. Sure- sell now at a higher price and then try to find another similar place at a higher price?

This is what I see:

1. Reservations required at most campgrounds now.

2. Endless sprawl

3. The infrastructure (esp. highways) is not in place to handle the numbers of people here now, let alone in the future (yes- I grew up here).

And your house "value" is only good if you sell the house- may make some feel "richer" but that is all on paper until you actually sell.

OOPS!! Forgot about those darn capital gains when you sell.......oh well.
Higher taxes are good because they fund city services which everybody uses. Colorado Springs has terrible roads they are now finally fixing them because of a modest tax increase. With poor roads you are paying more due to vehicle damage and a slowed commute due to the poor state of the roads. Raising taxes for roads in the Springs will actually save the daily commuter money. Sprawl is bad I agree but there is a excellent solution to that high rise apartments. Smaller compact dense cities are much more environmentally friendly than sprawling suburban nightmares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs