U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

3,691 posts, read 2,913,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Yeah ... I'd like to see those articles, too.

That's why I asked. I don't doubt that someone somewhere in Cos experienced an incident of what they feel was overt or covert racism. Ignorant people are everywhere and incidents like that can happen nearly anywhere. I'm sure some of us have seen news reports of the two local men that filmed their traffic stop because they said they were profiled or some local college student protesters who said we need to address racism issues in the city and as a result we have a few individuals who feel it is their mission to expose the poor race relations in our city. Are they reaching out to media outlets, maybe.

IMO, the reality is that Cos has a long history of racial integration and seems very tolerant from my point of view. This is further reinforced by the constant and regular military population coming into town. I'd also agree that this diversity is not consistent through out the town and some areas are more integrated than others with the east and south sides having much more black and hispanic populations than the north and west sides. I also see any number of interracial relationships when I am out and about and have several such couples as my close friends and they have all said they have not had issues here either. Do we have racist bigots that live here, yep. And I dare say many of them feel emboldened lately and may be more vocal than in years past, which can result in confrontations. But I see that as more of a national issue than something isolated to Cos.

Regional and cultural differences do exist in parts of Colorado and in some places they are very noticable, as pointed out by Thoreau424. However, please be aware this poster lives in Ft Collins in far northern Colorado, more than a couple of hours away from Colorado Springs, in an area significantly different than Colo Spgs or even Aurora. But if you are interested in that view, PM them for that input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM

29,968 posts, read 13,067,336 times
When I first moved to Colorado, and was asking where to live, the people where I worked just told me, "stay away from Aurora". I'd much rather live in the Springs if I had to pick between the two, but my job was in the DTC, so COS was not practical.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM

1,023 posts, read 614,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
That's why I asked. I don't doubt that someone somewhere in Cos experienced an incident of what they feel was overt or covert racism. Ignorant people are everywhere and incidents like that can happen nearly anywhere. I'm sure some of us have seen news reports of the two local men that filmed their traffic stop because they said they were profiled or some local college student protesters who said we need to address racism issues in the city and as a result we have a few individuals who feel it is their mission to expose the poor race relations in our city. Are they reaching out to media outlets, maybe.

IMO, the reality is that Cos has a long history of racial integration and seems very tolerant from my point of view. This is further reinforced by the constant and regular military population coming into town. I'd also agree that this diversity is not consistent through out the town and some areas are more integrated than others with the east and south sides having much more black and hispanic populations than the north and west sides. I also see any number of interracial relationships when I am out and about and have several such couples as my close friends and they have all said they have not had issues here either. Do we have racist bigots that live here, yep. And I dare say many of them feel emboldened lately and may be more vocal than in years past, which can result in confrontations. But I see that as more of a national issue than something isolated to Cos.

Regional and cultural differences do exist in parts of Colorado and in some places they are very noticable, as pointed out by Thoreau424. However, please be aware this poster lives in Ft Collins in far northern Colorado, more than a couple of hours away from Colorado Springs, in an area significantly different than Colo Spgs or even Aurora. But if you are interested in that view, PM them for that input.
+1. Perfectly stated.

I do remember 1 "racial" incident on the news a couple of years ago, but I think it went a little further than that, as the 'victim' was flying his flag upside down & that offended a great many people in the area due to the military. I personally felt the same thing would have happened (people went onto his property & put the flag right side up) regardless of his race. So to me, that's not really a racial incident, more of a cultural/freedom of speech issue, but I do remember it making the news.

I also know & see around town numerous inter-racial & inter-cultural couples, much more than any other city I've lived in & I have lived only in much larger cities.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM

4,512 posts, read 2,259,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We have a local school teacher in COLO SPGS who moved to Langley AFB in the tidewater area of VA with her USAF husband. She said the racism back in VA is off the chart incredible compared to what she knew of in COLO SPGS. IMO, with the large, diverse military population in COLO SPGS the OP will have nothing to worry about in COLO SPGS or Aurora. Issue boils down to jobs, income and cost of living and IMO COLO SPGS wins.
I find it curious that she would feel this way. I grew up near Langley AFB. That entire area is super diverse, majority black, and has more military bases than CoS. My family there all live in suburban neighborhoods that have been mixed for 40+ years with no racial issues. I'd love to know where she was hanging out that she had problems. Maybe in a more rural area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs