Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,557 times

Advertisements

So I know that Aurora has a higher population of African Americans than Colorado Springs ,but from what I am reading, I would just prefer CS. I will be visiting in December before I move, but I have read recent articles on bad race relations in CS. Even though I am moving from the deep South, I have never had to deal with open overt racism and I am scared to move on my own to a new place where I would deal with this. Should I just give up on CS and move go Aurora? I can't say I won't like Aurora, as I have never been and plan to go there as well on my visit. Can anyone offer their honest opinion? Be as blunt as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I am a minority who has lived in CS for a very long time and I do not think there are bad race relations here at all - I'd say it is probably better than up in Aurora - so not sure where people are getting that idea.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
I agree with Otowi. Although I am not a minority, I have not seen any issues with race relations here in the 23 years I have lived here.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:38 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I agree with Otowi. Although I am not a minority, I have not seen any issues with race relations here in the 23 years I have lived here.
I have some friends who recently visited the springs from the northeast they told me that racism is a much bigger problem there than it is out west.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:47 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
We have a local school teacher in COLO SPGS who moved to Langley AFB in the tidewater area of VA with her USAF husband. She said the racism back in VA is off the chart incredible compared to what she knew of in COLO SPGS. IMO, with the large, diverse military population in COLO SPGS the OP will have nothing to worry about in COLO SPGS or Aurora. Issue boils down to jobs, income and cost of living and IMO COLO SPGS wins.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuhawk View Post
So I know that Aurora has a higher population of African Americans than Colorado Springs ,but from what I am reading, I would just prefer CS. I will be visiting in December before I move, but I have read recent articles on bad race relations in CS. Even though I am moving from the deep South, I have never had to deal with open overt racism and I am scared to move on my own to a new place where I would deal with this. Should I just give up on CS and move go Aurora? I can't say I won't like Aurora, as I have never been and plan to go there as well on my visit. Can anyone offer their honest opinion? Be as blunt as possible
Lsuhawk - From your profile, it looks like you live in the Baton Rouge (LA) area. That is very important to share so that others know where you are coming from. If you were already in Colorado, that would be one thing, but you would be relocating from an entirely different region.

As a person also from a southern state, I would have to caution you about regional and cultural differences between the south and Colorado. It's too much to go into here, but that's a starting point. I'm white, in a land of white, and yet have already experienced profiling and judgement (not sure how to word it) based on regional and cultural differences. I'm fairly sure you'll experience what I've experienced, and if you are of a color other than the dominant white, there will be additional issues on top of it. People are generally friendly and civil outwardly, but inwardly will not connect as in the south. There is the outward appearance, and the disconnect inwardly that folks here will try to hide. It's not done purposely, but still goes on nonetheless.

Personal message me for more details. It's very complex, and I'm not able to write more at the moment.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuhawk View Post
I will be visiting in December before I move, but I have read recent articles on bad race relations in CS.
Source please.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
My wife and I are an interacial couple, lived here 20 years. Never a problem in the Springs.

I never heard mention of bad race relations in the Springs? Gotta be something new.

BTW Lsuhawk: Geaux Tigers!

Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Source please.

Yeah ... I'd like to see those articles, too.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,834 times
Been here 16 years, almost never hear of race relations issues on the news or IRL. I'm "white", so haven't experienced any either, but with the HUGE military presence here, you will find a fair amount of diversity. Some parts of town though (north) tend to be very homogenous. Still, I live north & have never come across any sort of overt racism, though I imagine like anywhere there are plenty of unrecognized biases.

Aurora seems much more diverse than the Springs & has a lot of recent immigrants. There are homogenous areas of Aurora too. Personally, the crime situation in much of Aurora would keep me away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs