Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:58 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times

Advertisements

Just came back from Boulder. What a beautiful (but very expensive) town. After dropping our daughter off at CU we started to think heavily about a move to CO. We did a lot of driving around the Denver area but nothing seemed to 'click' for me. The backdrops of the mountains are obviously breathtaking but I didn't care for the many areas we saw that had house on top of house on top of house. I also didn't come across any charming towns (other than Boulder) that have a walkable downtown. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Colorado Springs but were wondering if you all could give me a comparison of the areas I described and Colorado Springs. The real estate seems more 'affordable' ($500's++) and the houses don't seem to be on top of each other. Are there charming walkable safe suburbs? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Just came back from Boulder. What a beautiful (but very expensive) town. After dropping our daughter off at CU we started to think heavily about a move to CO. We did a lot of driving around the Denver area but nothing seemed to 'click' for me. The backdrops of the mountains are obviously breathtaking but I didn't care for the many areas we saw that had house on top of house on top of house. I also didn't come across any charming towns (other than Boulder) that have a walkable downtown. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Colorado Springs but were wondering if you all could give me a comparison of the areas I described and Colorado Springs. The real estate seems more 'affordable' ($500's++) and the houses don't seem to be on top of each other. Are there charming walkable safe suburbs? Thank you so much!
Yes! Downtown Colorado Springs fits this perfectly. You should check out the Old North End. Much of the area north of Uintah is filled will historic, charming houses. Lots are a decent size in many cases, and the COS downtown is very walkable.

$500k can get you a nice house in a nice area. The mountains are much, much more impressive in COS than in Denver, too.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:10 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yes! Downtown Colorado Springs fits this perfectly. You should check out the Old North End. Much of the area north of Uintah is filled will historic, charming houses. Lots are a decent size in many cases, and the COS downtown is very walkable.

$500k can get you a nice house in a nice area. The mountains are much, much more impressive in COS than in Denver, too.
I had dinner last night at a place in the old Lincoln school - I really like what they're doing there - it is quite the little neighborhood community center going on there.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
My favorite area in Colorado springs is around the 500 block of Columbia , Wasatch , North El Paso st, a really nice mix of Old and newer homes . The Dog tooth coffee company used to be there in the little shopping center. As soon as I win the lottery I am going to buy a house there . My rich uncle died but left all his money to my 6 cousins. So I am saving my paychecks I should have a 15 % down payment in about 40 yrs .....

Old 08-25-2017, 07:35 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Thank you everyone!!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I think that Colorado Springs is far prettier then Denver. You also may be interested in Fort Collins.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Denver has expanded greatly over its history and it does have some pockets of small cities that have somewhat retained their original downtowns. Louisville, Lafeyette and Superior are small towns outside of Denver towards Boulder. Littleton, Sheridan, Morrison, and Golden are some that are more in the Denver metro area. You really have to peel back some layers to get find these and they are still part of the larger Denver metro which means traffic and high real estate prices.

Cos will be more affordable than those, however we also have our share of cookie cutter suburban sprawl as well. We are similar to Boulder in our location to the mountains and the vistas they provide. We differ significantly from Boulder and Denver in that we tend to be much more fiscally and at times socially conservation and do have a significant military presence with the Air Force Academy, Ft Carson, and Peterson and Shreiver AFBs.

Employment and growth between Cos and the Denver area are also slightly different. While unemployment numbers in both are at record lows, competition for high paying jobs in Cos is much more intense and you may find your fields pay less than other areas in the nation. If you can import your job with you, then you'll be set.

I'd certainly recommend spending some time browsing the Colo Spgs and Denver forums on here for compare/contrast on items you want in a new home. Jump into topics that pique your interest and dig up more clarification on some of the differences.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that Colorado Springs is far prettier then Denver. You also may be interested in Fort Collins.
Denver feels kind of grimey they have a nice downtown though. I'd still rather live in the springs though

Old 08-25-2017, 01:36 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Agree. In Denver, one of the selling points realtors use is "mountain views". In COS, from almost anywhere in the city you'll have a mountain view.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Denver has expanded greatly over its history and it does have some pockets of small cities that have somewhat retained their original downtowns. Louisville, Lafeyette and Superior are small towns outside of Denver towards Boulder. Littleton, Sheridan, Morrison, and Golden are some that are more in the Denver metro area. You really have to peel back some layers to get find these and they are still part of the larger Denver metro which means traffic and high real estate prices.

Cos will be more affordable than those, however we also have our share of cookie cutter suburban sprawl as well. We are similar to Boulder in our location to the mountains and the vistas they provide. We differ significantly from Boulder and Denver in that we tend to be much more fiscally and at times socially conservation and do have a significant military presence with the Air Force Academy, Ft Carson, and Peterson and Shreiver AFBs.

Employment and growth between Cos and the Denver area are also slightly different. While unemployment numbers in both are at record lows, competition for high paying jobs in Cos is much more intense and you may find your fields pay less than other areas in the nation. If you can import your job with you, then you'll be set.

I'd certainly recommend spending some time browsing the Colo Spgs and Denver forums on here for compare/contrast on items you want in a new home. Jump into topics that pique your interest and dig up more clarification on some of the differences.
This is certainly true in general, but the OP should know that this totally depends on the area of COS you are in. If the OP wants a walkable area, that isn't going to be out in the burbs anyway. There are areas in COS that are walkable and devoid of suburban tract housing. Those areas also tend to be much less conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs