Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

'We are the 300 defending the 300 million': Base in Colorado key to stopping nuclear missile attack - ABC15 Arizona

But what if North Korea acted on its threat of sending a nuclear missile to American shores? An Air Force base in Colorado Springs would play a critical role in the event of such an attack.

If the unthinkable happens, soldiers in a secure room on Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado Springs will fight back. From a fortified facility, they have the power to launch what's known as a kill vehicle. Propelled into space by a rocket, the kill vehicle can destroy a warhead above the earth.

The mission would be administered by members of the 100th Missile Defense Brigade.

"The threat we're dealing with is very real," said Colonel Kevin Kick, who is the commander of the 300-person team. "We say we are the 300 defending the 300 million."

Defense is a huge part of the Colorado Springs area. These young, smart people are doing an essential job for the USA. They are a real asset to the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Cos has been a high value military target since the early 1960s. It still would be in a large scale armed conflict. However, it is a low value propaganda target in relationship to many of our other, smaller, current conflicts.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I can see Cheyenne Mountain from my deck.

I've always joked that we're #2 on the hit list just because of the additional flight time from Washington DC.

In the event of a Nuclear attack, I plan to just sit on my deck, pull the tab off a cool one, and wait for the blast to hit.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
My mom used to joke about how she didn't know what it was like to not live in a primary target as an adult. When she met my dad, she was at Offut AFB in Omaha, home of the Strategic Air Command, another locale high on the target list. Then they moved here where we were again, high on the list. With Space Command out on the prairie, I have to wonder if there is redundancy built into The Mountain just in case of such a strike.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I used to eat lunch in the center courtyard of the Pentagon, ground zero #1. I told my coworkers that I'd be sitting out there eating one of the burgers they served, watching the Soviet ICBM coming in, raise both arms with a middle finger salute so that the blast would etch a shadow of my position in the concrete behind me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM

36 posts, read 116,411 times
I personally would much rather be in a spot that gets hit right away rather than father away where I’d have the deal with the aftermath. I’m a puss that way, just take me out quick!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
I personally would much rather be in a spot that gets hit right away rather than father away where I’d have the deal with the aftermath. I’m a puss that way, just take me out quick!
Agreed take me out quick having to survive in the nightmarish post nuclear war world would be hell literally.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:28 PM

216 posts, read 189,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
In the event of a Nuclear attack, I plan to just sit on my deck, pull the tab off a cool one, and wait for the blast to hit.
Yup, the best thing to do, Vision67! I plan on doing the same thing!

Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Agree. When I was in elementary school, we used to have the attack drills once a month. We'd either get under our desks and cover our heads (yeah, that’ll save us) or go down to the bomb shelter, which was in the basement of the school. This was during the Cuban missile crises of the early 60s. Don't lose sleep about it anymore.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:57 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Agree. When I was in elementary school, we used to have the attack drills once a month. We'd either get under our desks and cover our heads (yeah, that’ll save us) or go down to the bomb shelter, which was in the basement of the school. This was during the Cuban missile crises of the early 60s. Don't lose sleep about it anymore.
The old "duck and cover" drill and those "CONELRAD" radio stations .... and those dark olive green 5-gallon cans of drinking water stashed in the stairwells that were to be use as a commode once emptied of water or survival biscuits... ah, the good old days....

Speaking of duck and cover, sounds like the tactics of some scurrilous politicos .... jussayin'
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs