Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Dick's is a 50k seating stadium serving a 2.5M market, so only 2% of the population could attend We are roughly 650k, so a 10k stadium would correspond to 1.5% of the population base. Not too out of line, but Security Service Field is 8500 and rarely sold out for baseball and Weidner Field is only 5k. Unless the Switchabcks are SRO now, I'm betting they don't need an additional 5k worth of seating. plus, assuming 4 people per car load, a full loaded 10k stadium would bring 2500 vehicles into downtown. I'm not sure there is that much available parking within a 10 block radius of this park.

The $28M, IIRC, is supposed to go towards a stadium as part of the C4C project. Where this proposal falls within the realm of that, I don't know. I haven't read up on all the details of this latest proposal, nor do I know where, as Mike points out, Anschutz falls into the equation. Although Sanders is really trying to step up his influence. I'm just not sold that a soccer stadium and this location is a good bet, but if they are going to pay for it in full, then its their deal to succeed or fail with and I wish them luck.

BTW, for those that haven't been down there in a while, the locomotive display is gone.

Yes the dog track is now an auto auction lot. They also house a grow operation and an MMJ outlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Dick's is a 50k seating stadium serving a 2.5M market, so only 2% of the population could attend We are roughly 650k, so a 10k stadium would correspond to 1.5% of the population base. Not too out of line, but Security Service Field is 8500 and rarely sold out for baseball and Weidner Field is only 5k. Unless the Switchabcks are SRO now, I'm betting they don't need an additional 5k worth of seating. plus, assuming 4 people per car load, a full loaded 10k stadium would bring 2500 vehicles into downtown. I'm not sure there is that much available parking within a 10 block radius of this park.

The $28M, IIRC, is supposed to go towards a stadium as part of the C4C project. Where this proposal falls within the realm of that, I don't know. I haven't read up on all the details of this latest proposal, nor do I know where, as Mike points out, Anschutz falls into the equation. Although Sanders is really trying to step up his influence. I'm just not sold that a soccer stadium and this location is a good bet, but if they are going to pay for it in full, then its their deal to succeed or fail with and I wish them luck.

BTW, for those that haven't been down there in a while, the locomotive display is gone.

Yes the dog track is now an auto auction lot. They also house a grow operation and an MMJ outlet.
Dick's is actually an 18K stadium, so .7% of the population base. But Denver has multiple stadium event venues throughout the metro area and one glaring deficiency in COS is that there is not a stadium event venue in the downtown area. This proposal would rectify that.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Dick's is actually an 18K stadium, so .7% of the population base. But Denver has multiple stadium event venues throughout the metro area and one glaring deficiency in COS is that there is not a stadium event venue in the downtown area. This proposal would rectify that.
I've always proposed a multi-use stadium for both soccer and a team in minor league football (MLF). Seems our country has a decently thriving set of baseball minor leagues (AAA, AA, A, etc) and with so many college players not making it into the NFL then MLF teams should be feasible. A stadium in COLO SPGS could host men's soccer, women's soccer, minor league football and some of the larger local football playoff games, i.e., a truly useful local facility asset.

But I don't want it downtown. My preferred location on N. Nevada, between I-25 and Nevada, just above University Village. This parcel is far enough from residential areas to not be a nuisance, has great highway access, is near UCCS and could anchor a local circulator bus route between downtown and the Nevada corridor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 AM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
With the Sky Sox losing AAA designation because of moving to Texas next year baseball is losing its leverage in Springs. As for the Switchbacks, personally, I would love to see a stadium downtown. I drive from Pueblo, and it would be a closer drive for me to see the team. A good location could definitely draw some larger crowds. The Switchbacks are putting all their home matches on OTA TV, plus all their matches are on YouTube. They are very accessible.

The lower levels of soccer such as USL are growing in popularity. Major cities are clamoring for USL teams. Teams are also starting to sign international stars, even at this level.

I'm glad to see people in Springs backing something that will benefit the city. I'm not one for using taxpayer money for billionaire sports, this feels different to me. It never felt like the Sky Sox were completely invested in the community, even when I lived there. I get a different feeling from the Switchbacks.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
My dad said that Antlers Park was gifted to the city by William Palmer and he's upset about this whole idea because he doesn't think the stadium matches the conditions/intent of the gift - it is public land and a stadium will probably charge fees, etc.

He also complains about the Myron Stratton Home - gifted by Stratton to be an orphanage in perpetuity and it does not serve that function anymore, obviously.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Did everyone see?

It's not going to happen! But, they think they have a different location.

Antlers Park is out: New location of Switchback Stadium yet to be

Wonder if the park will be cleaned up though...

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
News today that a downtown baseball stadium may be back in the mix and the Mayor wants it to be a joint use stadium with the minor league soccer team. Playing soccer in a baseball stadium is a non-starter for the soccer team due to the configuration of the structure, but that $27M in "free" state money is burning a hole in the Mayor's trousers. IMO any downtown stadium is a bad idea.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
News today that a downtown baseball stadium may be back in the mix and the Mayor wants it to be a joint use stadium with the minor league soccer team. Playing soccer in a baseball stadium is a non-starter for the soccer team due to the configuration of the structure, but that $27M in "free" state money is burning a hole in the Mayor's trousers. IMO any downtown stadium is a bad idea.
Oh goodness. Not more baseball.

Seriously, if they build a baseball stadium downtown that has to do a firework show at 10:00 pm all season we're going to have to move again.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:46 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Antlers Park seems too small to me for that kind of development. I'd move it somewhat to the south along the tracks.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Antlers Park seems too small to me for that kind of development. I'd move it somewhat to the south along the tracks.
From what I understand, they have to leave the park since it was a condition of its development initially when it was gifted by Palmer or someone 100 years ago...I think that location is definitely out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs